The Park Formerly Known as Disney's Hollywood Studios? Yep ...

BigThunderMatt

Yep! I was told by a trusted and well known cm who worked there for 20+ years :)

Unless they're park VP or higher, such proprietary information is well above their pay grade so they have no clue what they're talking about other than what they've heard on the CM grape vine.

GiveMeTheMusic

If anyone hasn't stated what the name is changing to, It's Disney's Hollywood Adventure.. Yep it actually sounds pretty nice.

A friend who use to work there told me that a few days ago. Also Equity is supposedly going out the door in a year or so. Backlot and all of the studios refs are going out the door too. So GMR is aswell.. :(

Getting rid of Equity? Um...

Matt_Black

Disney's partnership with Lucasfilm goes way back to the 80s with Star Tours and Captain EO. Even Pixar began as a subdivision of Lucasfilm

Yeah, it's weird how people are ready to decry Star Wars/ Lucasfilm, Marvel, or the Muppets as "non-Disney", despite each having good long-term working relationships with the company, and yet somehow Pixar gets a pass.

dgp602

Yeah, it's weird how people are ready to decry Star Wars/ Lucasfilm, Marvel, or the Muppets as "non-Disney", despite each having good long-term working relationships with the company, and yet somehow Pixar gets a pass.
Would it be fair to say that even some of the Disney "classics" aren't Disney also? Walt and his staff didn't create Pooh ( created by A. A. Milne ), they didn't create Cinderella ( it was based on the fairy tale "Cendrillon" by Charles Perrault ), they didn't create Snow White ( it was based on a German fairytale )...They borrowed or licensed these characters and created Disney versions of the original stories. So it would only be logical that if we are going to argue that non-Disney original stories don't belong in the parks, we must realize then some of our most beloved characters and stories would also not belong in Disney parks...

216bruce

Really very little of anything folks consider 'classic Disney' was totally created by the company. It's all based on other folks stories that Walt or his corporate descendents purchased the rights to adapt to film- "Mary Poppins" is an excellent example as is "Bambi" and even "Dumbo" or "The Love Bug". Buying companies like Pixar, Lucasfilm, etc. is just an extension of this on a much bigger, more modern corporate level. Granted, you are buying fully-developed characters and properties but still- "Mary Poppins" was pretty well formed by PL Travers when it was adapted.
To me, it's much more important if the property 'fits' into the Disney brand- good story and characters- family friendly- adaptable to the company on many levels (merch. parks, etc) and I think everything so far has. It's not like Disney bought "Family Guy" or "Drawn Together" or purchased the Playboy company.
About the only thing that Disney created in film and tv that was really 'just theirs' were the classic shorts characters, the MMC and a handful of movies - "Fantasia", "Three Caballeros", "Saludos Amigos" and a few others. Frankly, Pixar, Marvel, Henson and Lucas pretty much created their characters on their own and have a better track record for being 'original', if you think about it.
Parks and travel- a whole different thing.

righttrack

I think the best possible situation is to go with what works. Star Wars weekends are huge! Building a Star Wars land is a slam-dunk. Do it right though. Not by recent standards. Take this to the level when Epcot went up. We don't want rehashed carnival rides with Star Wars themes. Build a death star. That's right! Build a Death Star, and find a way technically to simulate blowing it up every night during fireworks. Seriously. This is the level that Epcot was on, in the early 80s. That is the same level of spectacle that was generated by Epcot back then, and by today's standards, you've got to blow them away again. Don't borrow, innovate!

Pixar! More Pixar not less!

AEfx

And although it's apropos, Lucas himself has said that if Walt had still been with Disney he believes the Star Wars films would have ended up with Disney to begin with. He thought they were the perfect match way back then.

raymusiccity

Unless they're park VP or higher, such proprietary information is well above their pay grade so they have no clue what they're talking about other than what they've heard on the CM grape vine.

That's the truth! It's like that old saying, 'Does that CM have 20 yrs of accumulated knowledge and experience..., or 1 yrs experience 20 times!'

Matt_Black

And although it's apropos, Lucas himself has said that if Walt had still been with Disney he believes the Star Wars films would have ended up with Disney to begin with. He thought they were the perfect match way back then.

I'd never heard that; that's really cool.

dumboflyer

The DHS acronym can't leave fast enough in my mind. In my state, DHS stands for Department of Human Services and is the governmental entity that deals with welfare distribution, child protective services, and child support collection.

On a national level in the US, DHS is the common acronym for Dept of Homeland Security. Everyone loves them. And their adorable little child, the TSA.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Disney's Hollywoodlandesque III

How many changes must a park go through before it's completely void of it's original mission and theme? At this point you could just go ahead and call it "Epcot: South" and be done with it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom