The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Gomer

Would Studio Ghibli be a good fit for World Showcase? I guess it could be a good way to show off Japanese animation and it sure is loved over there. This really seems like a gray area to me.
This sort of thing is the sort of creative idea that allows both an accurate representation of culture while also adding something kid friendly with existing US brand awareness. It accomplishes what people want in bringing child friendly IP into Epcot, while not killing the theme or values of WS.

So, why would Disney do that? It would be a smart move.

Ponyo and Totoro are very popular in my house. My four year old prefers them over any Disney animated films currently. I don't know how popular they are nationwide, but I'd imagine they have a significant following.

stlphil

Actually the Rhine River Cruise if it had been built as intended would be a strange document of cold war history by now - and would have been starting 8 years after the opening of EPCOT Center. It was supposed to showcase the rivers Rhine (Cologne, Düsseldorf), Tauber (Rothenburg), Ruhr ((Ruhr area, especially cities like Dortmund and Essen, the center of German heavy industry) and Isar (Munich) and was supposed to celebrate Germany's famous rivers. It was totally focused on West Germany at that time. I can't imagine a ride like this being built today leaving out the Spree which runs through Berlin.

But then it was a strange pick of rivers in the first place as it left out the Danube which at least has its source in Germany (unlike the Rhine which has neithre source nor its end in Germany, it just passes through) and the Elbe that flows out into the North Sea north of Hamburg.

However, I think it was a ride concept that was fitting for the original theme of the World Showcase and a "ride the Disney movie" ride never would fit. In the end it appears that there is no vision any longer of why there area different parks. I think they all need an identity that is visible to the visitor in order for having a reason to be around. Otherwise why build different parks in different locations on property if you put the same stuff in every single one of them. Just to make it more difficult to visitors to travel from one set of attractions to the next?

I also believe that a lot of these things like coherent theming might not be consciously noticed by the average guest, but it lays the foundation for their experience and creates what people might call the "Disney magic". By having a strong thematic base the experience itself becomes more than just going on fun rides. It is something intangible that most people don't notice until it is absent.
I wish I could give you a separate like for each of the paragraphs in this post!

I had never heard what was planned in such detail before. Thanks. Even though the plans only covered (some of) the rivers of West Germany, this sounds really ambitious considering how limited and short Maelstrom turned out to be.

And speaking of Maelstrom, the rest of your post perfectly captures the essence of why the Maelstrom conversion is such a bad idea.

GiveMeTheMusic

What's wrong with it being a Broadway song? Disney tried to push it as a pop song bc almost all music on the radio today is fluffy pop music.

The fact that society as a whole rejected the Pop version and accepted the Broadway version tells me that there is still people who can think for themselves out there.

There's nothing wrong with it, and watching the public reject the pop version and want Idina's instead was immensely satisfying. There was a conversation above with people claiming Let It Go sounds like every other current pop song, and that just couldn't be further from the truth.

71jason

I've said it before--in Spirited Thread Four maybe?--but the insistence on this community to engage in discussion/debate of trivial WDW minutiae while ignoring the fact that the distinguished competition has an already well-received event with NINE NEW E-TICKET LEVEL EXPERIENCES opening tomorrow strikes me as the ultimate burying of heads in sand.

Imagine if WDW had a preview last night of an HHN-like event. This board would melt down.

FigmentJedi

....... No. Just no.
Surely you jest.....:jawdrop:

I mean...Avatar was a poor choice, but...Pokemon?!?!?
Full of mythical creatures Legendary Pokemon or otherwise, there's always environmental/conservation themes in the games and movies despite the whole animals fighting thing, the old Pokemon Snap game was basically a virtual theme park ride already, etcetera.

And unlike Avatar, Pokemon's got proven staying power and a huge fanbase that'd eat it up. Japan would be all over Florida.

twebber55

Full of mythical creatures Legendary Pokemon or otherwise, there's always environmental/conservation themes in the games and movies despite the whole animals fighting thing, the old Pokemon Snap game was basically a virtual theme park ride already, etcetera.

And unlike Avatar, Pokemon's got proven staying power and a huge fanbase that'd eat it up. Japan would be all over Florida.
gotta love this board

Zac Skellington

So, you weren't joking? o_O

EPCOTCenterLover

I don't really care for Let It Go in any form. Sure, Idina's voice is powerful, but the "Broadway style" songs are unappealing to me. Too flamboyant and self focused- just like the animated segment. Demi Lovato just proves the market they were going for originally.

Lee

Adventurer
I've said it before--in Spirited Thread Four maybe?--but the insistence on this community to engage in discussion/debate of trivial WDW minutiae while ignoring the fact that the distinguished competition has an already well-received event with NINE NEW E-TICKET LEVEL EXPERIENCES opening tomorrow strikes me as the ultimate burying of heads in sand.

Imagine if WDW had a preview last night of an HHN-like event. This board would melt down.
But...but...Frozen!

:rolleyes:

Personally, I'm counting the days (35) 'til my HHN visit. :D

FigmentJedi

gotta love this board

So, you weren't joking? o_O

Remember, I said "If you have to force an outside property in.." Beastly Kingdom would always be preferable in this situation.

Though I will admit my thoughts on a Disney/Nintendo merger are basically this
tumblr_lmputme3co1qa6q7k_large.png

PhotoDave219

Yeah..... doesnt fit Disney.

Bolna

I wish I could give you a separate like for each of the paragraphs in this post!

I had never heard what was planned in such detail before. Thanks. Even though the plans only covered (some of) the rivers of West Germany, this sounds really ambitious considering how limited and short Maelstrom turned out to be.

And speaking of Maelstrom, the rest of your post perfectly captures the essence of why the Maelstrom conversion is such a bad idea.

Thanks! There are actually some interesting blog posts out there about what was planned for the World Showcase. I think this here might be the most in depth one about the Rhine River Cruise in specific: http://www.imagineeringdisney.com/blog/2012/2/17/rhine-river-cruise-mysteries.html

But there is lot of early EPCOT center history and plans for all kind of fantastic countries out there. It is a lot of fun to read about and dream of what could have been... Maybe more fun than going round and round in circles about whether Frozen is more or less pop than Lion King. :D But then, I really enjoyed talking about Snow White, Tivoli and the Rhine River Cruise. Who is to say whether arguing on a message board is a better or worse way of "waisting" your time than sitting down and watching a football game... ;)

Bolna

I am always happy to discuss any amazing attraction anywhere in the world. BUT I personally just don't care at all for HHN. I just hate to be scared - yes, I hide under the sofa when I watch movies at home. So, it might not be a burying of heads in the sand for all of us, just a question of personal preference. It is a very specific type of entertainment that is always going to be interesting for a smaller percentage of people than an attraction like Ratatouille in Paris. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom