Mirror to Door - ETWB

Nick Wilde

Original Poster
If this has been asked before, please take this down, or move it to that thread, but how do they change the mirror in Enchanted Tales With Belle to a screen and then to a door? I've never understood this.

Tom

Beta Return
I'm watching this thread because I too would like to know. I haven't experienced the attraction yet, but I've seen video. Curious to know how it works, exactly.

Rob562

It's essentially a large flat-screen display with a half-silvered mirror on the front. When the TV is turned off, it acts like a regular mirror.

The door is also full sized the entire time, but the wall and frame are covering up most of it. Different parts of the wall move independently of each other and parts of the frame are attached to the various moving wall pieces. So when the walls move, the frame moves revealing additional sections of the frame that had been nested behind the visible parts.

There's a full discussion somewhere in this forum, maybe scroll down a page or two.

Edit to add: Here ya go.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...ed-mirror-achieves-its-transformation.849485/

-Rob

Nick Wilde

Original Poster
It's essentially a large flat-screen display with a half-silvered mirror on the front. When the TV is turned off, it acts like a regular mirror.

The door is also full sized the entire time, but the wall and frame are covering up most of it. Different parts of the wall move independently of each other and parts of the frame are attached to the various moving wall pieces. So when the walls move, the frame moves revealing additional sections of the frame that had been nested behind the visible parts.

There's a full discussion somewhere in this forum, maybe scroll down a page or two.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...ed-mirror-achieves-its-transformation.849485/

-Rob
Thank you kind sir. Your services are appreciated.

SMPTE MOUSE

-Rob

Rob is correct. The mirror is a two way glass with a projection film on the back. The entire surface is "framed" with moving wall pieces which give the illusion of stretching and growing. The image on the back of the mirror is placed through a rear projection system. On the front, there is a projection mapping system that is masked and animated to grow with the "frame" as it changes shape. The wall is actually cloth, painted to look like stucco. The art is in the lighting at ETWB. The room lighting is lowered to focus your eyes toward the mirror. Just as the image goes to black at the end of the stretching mirror trick, the projection is turned off, the mirror is moved and lights appear as though the mirror opened a door to a special place. Sound also plays a key role as it masked the sounds of all the moving elements and rollers. Disney is a master with projection systems. We're i work as a Creative Director, we do similar style treatments with projection and image mapping. Very cool stuff!
enchanted-tales-with-belle-dim.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom