The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Cesar R M

I can't say whether it not it's 1994 pop, but it's definitely Elton John pop. The arranger/orchestrator has worked hard to make it sound lusher and more theatre-y for the movie, but it's still very much an Elton John pop song.

Let It Go doesn't resemble 2013 pop music. I don't see the point of this discussion - there's not a single chart topper in 2013 that sounds anything like Let It Go. Let It Go sounds like the current style of belty musical theatre. If Let It Go was so poppy, Disney wouldn't have felt the need to record a pop VERSION "sung" by Demi Lovato; they would have just released the film recording with Idina as a single.

A talented arranger/orchestrator can make almost any song sound like almost any genre. Do you think Circle of Life, as heard in the film, is exactly what it sounded like when Elton wrote it? Nope. You can hear his version on the soundtrack, and it's pop. It's Elton John pop. Then the arranger/orchestrator steps in and gives it an African flavor, makes it grander, employs a vocalist to match the new style.

Musical theatre nerds will remember that 9 to 5 was a short lived musical on Broadway a few years back. Dolly Parton wrote the music and lyrics, including expanding on the title song from the film (which she also wrote). I was handed a copy of Dolly's demos, recorded on her own, of each of the show's main songs. It's amazing - in Dolly's hands, each song sounds country. The instrumentation, the rhythms - all country. In the show, Stephen Oremus did the arrangements and the sound of those songs is TOTALLY different from Dolly's original. Same melody, same lyrics - only now they sounded Broadway.

Lion King has some great music, but to pretend that it's not at least partially pop influenced is silly. Elton John is a pop composer, always has been. The Lopezes wrote a very Broadway score for Frozen - that's their background, their wheelhouse.

Now whether you think 20th century pop has overly influenced the current style of Broadway scores, that's another discussion. ;)

I think you forgot that they tried to push the POP version (the ending, I think avril lavigne did sing it) of let it go first, before they noticed that the broadway type version was thousands times more popular.
In short, THEY TRIED to push the POP version first everywhere.

Cesar R M

My point was about complaints of Frozen spreading quickly into the parks on a general level, not about what's happening to Maelstrom specifically. Disney could be building a copy of TDR's proposed Frozen attraction at MK and I'm sure some woud still complain about it being too soon, or too much Princess etc.

I also don't worry too much about anyone on tumblr losing their **** over anything as that happens on a hourly basis over the most trivial things.

My comment from a few pages back:

"I find it amusing that when it's with Frozen it's considered overkill, but how much BatB, Little Mermaid, Finding Nemo and Lion King is spread across the resort? And some people still want more for those properties ("where's the dark ride!")!

We already have a Star Wars ride (one that was given a major update 3 years ago) and people want rides 2, 3 and 4 to come ASAP.

But Frozen, their biggest hit in decades? No, we've already reached the point of overkill. :rolleyes:"
the overkill is in the PR department, spamming how FROZEN is the best since sliced bread 24/7 and how almost all news are based on Frozen.

And like I had explained before, the REAL content of Frozen is still very low in the parks.

Cesar R M

That shows that they never read Asterix at the Vikings! Or any Asterix for that matter as they all start out with that handy map of that little village in Gaul that was not occupied by the Romans (I grew up reading those books over and over again :geek:)
Second here! I still have most of the older books of Asterix in spanish translation. Love these comics!
In Europe there are two series of large format album/comic/grapic novel books that almost every kid reads at some point. One is Tintin, the adventure series about a Belgian boy detective, and the other is Asterix, a comedy series about the French (or Gauls as they were called) in Roman times, struggling under Roman occupation.

Asterix is so popular that it has its own theme park and more French people visit that than Disneyland Paris (think Disney vs Universal, French style).

I can see that many years ago Disney might have considered a partnership of some sort, but I suspect even before the park was around, lack of awareness in the USA (although they did make a Tintin movie a few years ago) probably killed off any ideas early.

oh my god.. the food price.. INSANE!!!!!

Last edited:

GiveMeTheMusic

I think you forgot that they tried to push the POP version (the ending, I think avril lavigne did sing it) of let it go first, before they noticed that the broadway type version was thousands times more popular.
In short, THEY TRIED to push the POP version first everywhere.

Of course they did - and it didn't fly (it's a crappy track). Doesn't change the fact that Let It Go, in its original form, is a Broadway ballad and not a 2013 pop song.

Last edited:

Quinnmac000

On the topic of toons invading World Showcase, how about this guy?
Review-totoro5

Would love to have Studio Ghibli represented in the Japan section other than a super small section of the gift shop. (however, its not Star Wars or Marvel Level so some would say it should stay with no presence in the parks)

Last edited:

Mike S

Would Studio Ghibli be a good fit for World Showcase? I guess it could be a good way to show off Japanese animation and it sure is loved over there. This really seems like a gray area to me.

Bairstow

Would Studio Ghibli be a good fit for World Showcase? I guess it could be a good way to show off Japanese animation and it sure is loved over there. This really seems like a gray area to me.

The genie went out of the bottle as soon as they stuck Donald in Mexico.
The Frozen overlay at Norway promises to go even further, since they're already repainting the building exteriors to resemble the cartoon.

At this point, there are probably no real themeing/aesthetic rules in force over the World Showcase, so if they wanted to tear down Italy and put in an amphitheater for a "Dog with a Blog" live show, who's going to stop them?

I'm being mostly factitious, but if Disney thinks something will drive up Epcot's attendance without harming food/alcohol sales, they'll do it.

Mike S

The genie went out of the bottle as soon as they stuck Donald in Mexico.
The Frozen overlay at Norway promises to go even further, since they're already repainting the building exteriors to resemble the cartoon.

At this point, there are probably no real themeing/aesthetic rules in force over the World Showcase, so if they wanted to tear down Italy and put in an amphitheater for a "Dog with a Blog" live show, who's going to stop them?

I'm being mostly factitious, but if Disney thinks something will drive up Epcot's attendance without harming food/alcohol sales, they'll do it.
Guess you're right :( Guess what I meant was would Studio Ghibli fit with the original intention of World Showcase.

Quinnmac000

Did they have frozen level hype? No, however that's the beauty and the push for getting Disney to actually put it in the parks because they can't hype it up on Name alone to get people all excited and actually have to put in a great effort to create an amazing product because people are going to be like what is these Japanese cartoon stuff. Secondly, The cat bus in Totoro is already a great idea they can capitalize on, the moving castle in Howl's Moving castle like a simple ride concept there already made, Yubaba's Bath House and Spa from Spirited Away can be used a meet and greet restaurant. The underwater kingdom in Ponyo is a another attraction idea. Fly around with Kiki the witch as she delivers packages as another ride from Kiki's delivery service. Plus add how cute all those characters are, meaning young ones will probably want one and I know for a fact how hard it is to find Studio Ghilbi merchandise in the US because its very very limited. Now you have exclusivity. Its not like frozen where I can to Walmart and get a doll etc.

I mean i'm not trying to get into imagineering but names do sale but sometimes, its best to go with something smaller as they have to put in more and do more for it be considered good. And it fits the world showcase as it very much represents Japanese values and culture with the topics within the films.

Last edited:

Next Big Thing

Of course they did - and it didn't fly (it's a crappy track). Doesn't change the fact that Let It Go, in its original form, is a Broadway ballad and not a 2013 pop song.
What's wrong with it being a Broadway song? Disney tried to push it as a pop song bc almost all music on the radio today is fluffy pop music.

The fact that society as a whole rejected the Pop version and accepted the Broadway version tells me that there is still people who can think for themselves out there.

Bairstow

Did they have frozen level hype? No, however that's the beauty and the push for getting Disney to actually put it in the parks because they can't hype it up on Name alone to get people all excited and actually have to put in a great effort to create an amazing product because people are going to be like what is these Japanese cartoon stuff. Secondly, The cat bus in Totoro is already a great idea they can capitalize on, the moving castle in Howl's Moving castle like a simple ride concept there already made, Yubaba's Bath House and Spa from Spirited Away can be used a meet and greet restaurant. The underwater kingdom in Ponyo is a another attraction idea. Fly around with Kiki the witch as she delivers packages as another ride from Kiki's delivery service. Plus add how cute all those characters are, meaning young ones will probably want one and I know for a fact how hard it is to find Studio Ghilbi merchandise in the US because its very very limited. No you have exclusivity. Its not like frozen where I can to Walmart and get a doll etc.

I mean i'm not trying to get into imagineering but names do sale but sometimes, its best to go with something smaller as they have to put in more and do more for it be considered good. And it fits the world showcase as it very much represents Japanese values and culture with the topics within the films.

Seems like there would be a lot more money in Pokemon.
Not sure if Nintendo would be willing to license it for such a small space, though.

Quinnmac000

Not sure if Nintendo would be willing to license it for such a small space, though.

Nintendo would not go for it as they like to be 100% creative control of properties they own and when I say 100%, I mean to the very last rock.

stevehousse

Ever since the DHS redo rumors sprang about I always thought it would be cool to turn the animation building into a Studio Ghibli area with character meet n greets from those movies and animation classes featuring those too. Also a Ponyo dark ride behind the animation studio, with its entrance inside the building. There is room for a small ride if they moved the parking lot area behind the building...

FigmentJedi

Nintendo would not go for it as they like to be 100% creative control of properties they own and when I say 100%, I mean to the very last rock.

They should have gone for Pokemon instead of Avatar at Animal Kingdom. If you have to put an outside property into the park, that's the best choice.

Bolna

Give me a Rhine river cruise featuring the Lorelei over Snow White any day. But that's just me.

Actually the Rhine River Cruise if it had been built as intended would be a strange document of cold war history by now - and would have been starting 8 years after the opening of EPCOT Center. It was supposed to showcase the rivers Rhine (Cologne, Düsseldorf), Tauber (Rothenburg), Ruhr ((Ruhr area, especially cities like Dortmund and Essen, the center of German heavy industry) and Isar (Munich) and was supposed to celebrate Germany's famous rivers. It was totally focused on West Germany at that time. I can't imagine a ride like this being built today leaving out the Spree which runs through Berlin.

But then it was a strange pick of rivers in the first place as it left out the Danube which at least has its source in Germany (unlike the Rhine which has neithre source nor its end in Germany, it just passes through) and the Elbe that flows out into the North Sea north of Hamburg.

However, I think it was a ride concept that was fitting for the original theme of the World Showcase and a "ride the Disney movie" ride never would fit. In the end it appears that there is no vision any longer of why there area different parks. I think they all need an identity that is visible to the visitor in order for having a reason to be around. Otherwise why build different parks in different locations on property if you put the same stuff in every single one of them. Just to make it more difficult to visitors to travel from one set of attractions to the next?

I also believe that a lot of these things like coherent theming might not be consciously noticed by the average guest, but it lays the foundation for their experience and creates what people might call the "Disney magic". By having a strong thematic base the experience itself becomes more than just going on fun rides. It is something intangible that most people don't notice until it is absent.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom