Christmas Help!- Again

pizzawanabe

Hey guys, I asked these questions previously but some of my plans have changed. I'm a Disneyland addict making my way over to Disneyworld for the first time EVER! My family and I are going from Dec. 22-DEC. 30 and theirs seven of us going. All of our family is just teens and adults. So our family has a few questions to ask. Since this week is deemed the "Most Crowded Week Of the Year", how should we space out our vacation? We bought a 5 day ticket for Disneyworld and a 2 day ticket for Universal. Which days should we go to which park? And do we really need a 2 day ticket to see everything if we have already been to universal studios hollywood? For each day that we go, what should be our game plan on which attractions to see and which fastpass+ we should get? We are not planning to go to a theme park on our arrival and departure day. We are staying off site so we also cant take advantage of the EMH or magicbands. We really need your help! Thanks in advance!

FrostyNaples

Went on the 24th & 25th in 2008. Most of the parks continuously shut down entry due to capacity limits being reached. Bummer if your trying to get somewhere for reservations or FP+.

While there are things you need to experience for yourself, we won't ever be going back during Christmas again.

We had unfortunate separations of party members during parades and fire works, really hard to keep everyone together.

Have a plan is my advice. Crowds will be heavy.

Upvote 0

PrincessNelly_NJ

Dec. 22- Arrive, spent the night at Downtown Disney maybe?
Dec. 23- Magic Kingdom (Because it should always be first :))
Dec. 24- Hollywood Studios (More people will head to Magic Kingdom or Epcot on Xmas Eve & Xmas.)
Dec. 25- Animal Kingdom (I know many people would prefer being in Magic Kingdom or Epcot on Xmas but if you want to avoid crowds, dont do it.) Plus this will allow you to get park time in and end the night with a nice Christmas dinner somewhere.
Dec. 26- Epcot (many people will go to Epcot on Xmas/Xmas Eve so it should make Epcot a bit more manageable.)
Dec. 27- Magic Kingdom
Dec. 28- Islands of Adventure (least crowded during the beginning of the week.)
Dec. 29- Universal Studios Florida (least crowded during the beginning of the week.)
Dec. 30 - Depart.

Upvote 0

pobutre

Went on the 24th & 25th in 2008. Most of the parks continuously shut down entry due to capacity limits being reached. Bummer if your trying to get somewhere for reservations or FP+.

While there are things you need to experience for yourself, we won't ever be going back during Christmas again.

We had unfortunate separations of party members during parades and fire works, really hard to keep everyone together.

Have a plan is my advice. Crowds will be heavy.

So this brings up something I hadn't thought of before...although I probably should have. What IF you aren't a frequent visitor and/or don't understand that the parks close due to capacity during the holidays and you sit at home 60 days out and make FP+ reservations for afternoons/evenings? Now you'll potentially have families showing up during Xmas week and not being allowed into the parks even though they have FP+ reservations. Maybe Disney should consider having a pop-up warning on the app/website that says something like "we noticed you are booking FP+ for afternoon/evening. You might want to reconsider since parks tend to close due to capacity this time of the year" or something like that. Also, what if you booked FP+ for the evening parade/fireworks (on a non-party night). Chances of you getting into MK on Xmas eve are probably pretty slim, right?

Does anybody have any experience with ADRS during the holidays? If you book an ADR for Tony's in the evening and MK is closed due to capacity, do they turn you away or do they allow you to get in just to have dinner?

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

There are phased closings. Those staying on-site or with in park reservations are not the fisrt ones turned away. I think there are 4 phases of closings. And most times if I remember correctly, Christmas/New Years get to Phase 1 or maybe 2. You should be ok. Extremely busy and packed...but ok.
We were at WDW for Christmas/New Year 2008/09. BOTH MK and EPCOT reached phase 4 (closed to everyone) by late morning. We were in EPCOT by that time and so not affected. I believe that they did re-open later as some guests started to leave

Upvote 0

pizzawanabe

Original Poster
Thanks for all your helpful replies!!!!! For a Disneyland Annual Passholder, what are some rides that are not to miss and which ones are just like their Anaheim Counterpart that we should skip?

Upvote 0

FrostyNaples

We were at WDW for Christmas/New Year 2008/09. BOTH MK and EPCOT reached phase 4 (closed to everyone) by late morning. We were in EPCOT by that time and so not affected. I believe that they did re-open later as some guests started to leave

Ya, i'm not sure how the 'phases' work, we were staying at AK, got to MK around 10:30am ish, and were not permitted entry.

I think about 30 minutes later we got in, but had to wait for others to exit.

Capacity is capacity, just like any other legal codes. If the park can hold 'x' amount ppl, and that limit is reached, your not getting in, being an onsite guest or not. This is a safety issue.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FrostyNaples

So this brings up something I hadn't thought of before...although I probably should have. What IF you aren't a frequent visitor and/or don't understand that the parks close due to capacity during the holidays and you sit at home 60 days out and make FP+ reservations for afternoons/evenings? Now you'll potentially have families showing up during Xmas week and not being allowed into the parks even though they have FP+ reservations. Maybe Disney should consider having a pop-up warning on the app/website that says something like "we noticed you are booking FP+ for afternoon/evening. You might want to reconsider since parks tend to close due to capacity this time of the year" or something like that. Also, what if you booked FP+ for the evening parade/fireworks (on a non-party night). Chances of you getting into MK on Xmas eve are probably pretty slim, right?

Does anybody have any experience with ADRS during the holidays? If you book an ADR for Tony's in the evening and MK is closed due to capacity, do they turn you away or do they allow you to get in just to have dinner?

Disney would probably never discourage you in any way, i doubt they would create pop-ups for 'what if' scenarios.

They can't predict the future (yet), so just plan accordingly.

Having an ADR does not give you entry to a park that is temporarily closed for admittance due to capacity. There is no way to take the time to police everyone who says they have an ADR.

We had a family member complain up and down due to a temporary entry closure, but its out of the CM's hands. Again, safety first.

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

Capacity is capacity, just like any other legal codes. If the park can hold 'x' amount ppl, and that limit is reached, your not getting it, being an onsite guest or not. This is a safety issue.
This is clearly at phase 4 - closed to everyone.

Phase 1 turns away one day ticket holders, MYW base ticket holders, and those without tickets

Phase 2 only admits - Disney Resort Guests, Annual, Premier and Premium Annual Passholders, Guests with Hopper tickets coming from another park, Guests re-entering the park, Guests with dining reservations, Guests using Walt Disney World Resort Transportation, Magic Kingdom Guests with reservations for Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique or The Pirates Leagueand, and, Guests with pre-purchased 1 day Magic Kingdom tickets

Phase 3 only admits Disney Resort Guests, Annual, Premier and Premium Annual Passholders, Guests with dining reservations, and, Magic Kingdom Guests with reservations for Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique or The Pirates League

Phase 4 - closed to all

Upvote 0

FrostyNaples

This is clearly at phase 4 - closed to everyone.

Phase 1 turns away one day ticket holders, MYW base ticket holders, and those without tickets

Phase 2 only admits - Disney Resort Guests, Annual, Premier and Premium Annual Passholders, Guests with Hopper tickets coming from another park, Guests re-entering the park, Guests with dining reservations, Guests using Walt Disney World Resort Transportation, Magic Kingdom Guests with reservations for Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique or The Pirates Leagueand, and, Guests with pre-purchased 1 day Magic Kingdom tickets

Phase 3 only admits Disney Resort Guests, Annual, Premier and Premium Annual Passholders, Guests with dining reservations, and, Magic Kingdom Guests with reservations for Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique or The Pirates League

Phase 4 - closed to all

Four phases of Middle Fingers :p

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom