The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

BrerJon

That figures. You know, I hate to say this...but I'm beginning to agree with others here, that it would be a good thing if OLC bought WDW. Japan seems to value, respect and get inspired by Disney in a way that TDO does not. Only dollar signs inspire that gang of corporate stooges.

A few years ago there were rumours about some of the parks being sold off. Everyone was aghast - now it sounds like quite a sensible idea, which shows how far we've slipped.

Maybe a joint bid from the OLC and Comcast? How awesome would that be?

BrerJon

If their growth keeps happening, and their resorts get multiple parks, people start making more plans to visit DLR, and more Disney vacantions are being shotened to devote days to UNI, it will be interesting to see what happens to WDW as their major dependence will be specifically hinged on South American and UK guests, and eventually depening on SA economy, they moght actually have to depend on *gasp* locals and APers.

I'm getting the sense that the shine of a total Disney vacation is coming off for many UK visitors too. I hear more people than I used to saying they'll do a few days at Universal, or try the Space Center or Legoland... the same folks who several years ago were booking their Magical Express door to door 'nothing but Disney' trips.

doctornick

Comcast wouldn't be any better a caretaker than Disney -- they are investing in Uni because they seen growth potential and ROI. With Disney parks, they would be likely to view them in the same "mature market" way that Disney does and do minimal investment as long as attendance/revenues stay solid.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I find it amusing that when it's with Frozen it's considered overkill, but how much BatB, Little Mermaid, Finding Nemo and Lion King is spread across the resort? And some people still want more for those properties ("where's the dark ride!")!

We already have a Star Wars ride (one that was given a major update 3 years ago) and people want rides 2, 3 and 4 to come ASAP.

But Frozen, their biggest hit in decades? No, we've already reached the point of overkill. :rolleyes:

And I stand by that. Princess Overload.

Disney at least got the message when fans revolted over the Freak'n Fairlyland they wanted to put in originally in FLE concept drawings, the Princess Paradise Land. Disney could just hold a coronation in FLE every 20 minutes and spare the World Showcase from the invasion of Princesses. Bad enough when they paraded Barbie and her Pink Limo back there.

Lion King a classic, Star Wars both have earned classic status over the test of time and you don't see them taking over a Pavilion in the World Showcase.

Magenta Panther

Well, we were discussing "what if" The Oriental Land company purchased WDW and then the thread suddenly turned into "The Wire."

...or "Miami Vice."

th

Magenta Panther

A few years ago there were rumours about some of the parks being sold off. Everyone was aghast - now it sounds like quite a sensible idea, which shows how far we've slipped.

It's not like the Disney family has any input into the company anymore...:(

Heck, if the current TDO had been in charge of WDW back in its beginnings, THIS is what Splash Mountain would be like:

lHzbi3f.gif

Last edited:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
It's just a matter of time really.

Bookmark it and we'll compare Frozen to the staying power of Lion King or Star Wars in what???? 20-37 years?

I'll pray by then the World will have evolved enough (and Disney too) that we will all be looking down on Disney for the Princess ad nauseam we have been spoon feeding the little girls for the past few decades. :in pain: If Disney evolved enough to make The Song of the South *magically* go away....

GiveMeTheMusic

Bookmark it and we'll compare Frozen to the staying power of Lion King or Star Wars in what???? 20-37 years?

I'll pray by then the World will have evolved enough (and Disney too) that we will all be looking down on Disney for the Princess ad nauseam we have been spoon feeding the little girls for the past few decades. :in pain: If Disney evolved enough to make The Song of the South *magically* go away....

I was being facetious about Lion King and Star Wars taking over World Showcase pavilions at any time, but okay, that too.

Frozen is this generation's Lion King. In 20 years, there will be a huge audience of nostalgia driven fans for it, just like there is today for Lion King. It's okay if you dislike the film, plenty do, but that doesn't change the fact it hit the cultural zeitgeist in a way now Disney film has since 1994. It is what it is and it's never going to go away.

As much as I dislike it, it's unlikely the princess brand will die out anytime soon. It appeals to core desires in little girls, and combine that with huge swaths of parents who just hand children whatever they want - Disney gets $$$.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom