Week of thanksgiving?

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Anyone have any words about it? i did a forum search and didnt find all that much about it. Really how bad is it?
BAD!!! I will never go that week or Christmas/New Years week!! I know people though who have and said its horrible. I wish I could tell you different. But hey it's WDW you can still enjoy your trip if your prepared to deal ahead of time having very large crowds. Get to the parks each day at opening especially if you stay offsite because they will close due to capacity by different levels (annual pass, resort guest, non resort guests etc ) pretty early in the day some days that week. :)

Upvote 0

75disney

We have gone over Thanksgiving since 2008. Yes, it is crowded, but no more than in the summer. The weather is perfect and the parks are festive. It is a great place to start your holiday season. We usually do MK and Epcot earlier in the week when it is less crowded and do the Studios on Thanksgiving Day itself. AK isn't bad on Black Friday. We take Saturday off to visit relatives in the area so I can't vouch for that day. The crowds have always been manageable. Plan carefully and get to the parks early and you will be fine. We actually saw more crowds in the MK the Monday after Thanksgiving than any day of Thanksgiving week; I am talking hour waits for attractions like the Railroad!

I have also been there over Christmas week. That is a nightmare and should be avoided at all costs.

Upvote 0

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Good to know! Anyone else have anything to say about it?
Up until the day before, the week isn't too bad. Unfortunately, along with the holiday crowds Disney hosts a very large soccer tournament that adds to everything. That said, I've Ben in the parks on Thanksgiving, and it is indeed manageable....

Upvote 0

Mainahman

Original Poster
We just moved out of state away from all of our family for my work, and we're looking for a new idea for thanksgiving for my wife and daughter.

Upvote 0

bigorangeandy

We went a few years ago, it got more crowded closer to Thanksgiving day. The Sunday before Thanksgiving day at AK it was almost empty in the morning, but again by Wednesday the crowds had arrived. Keep in mind about getting places to eat if you want sit down meals. We ate Whispering Canyon at Wilderness Lodge for our Thanksgiving meal, and it was really good. If your at MK that morning, just catch the boat over and back for you meal. Enjoy your trip I hope you have a great time.

Upvote 0

FrostyNaples

Tagging along with this.

What about the days right after Thanksgiving? We are staying the Nov 29th thru Dec 2nd.

The Saturday arrival will not be a park day for us. We head to the parks on Sunday the 30th.

I'm hearing this is a transitional weekend, were everyone is flocking out, is this the case?

I've always heard the week after thanksgiving was one of the lowest weeks, so just trying to gauge for when our trip starts.

Upvote 0

Mainahman

Original Poster
Were still Trying to decide what to do, but were usually more of a quick serve kind of meal family, but for actual thanksgiving id want a sit down.

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

Thanksgiving right after 9/11 was empty. 2008, never do it again. If I could only go over MLK weekend, Presidents weekend, Spring Break, Summer, Thankgiving, and Christmas, I would never go to WDW again in my life.

Upvote 0

Mainahman

Original Poster
Thanks all! Still just an idea. Trying to decide if we want thanksgiving and the Christmas party, or October break and the Halloween party at this point.

Upvote 0

ninjaprincesst

We go every year at Thanksgiving it is fine, it does not get really busy until the day before, and then I find you are fine as long as you avoid MK on Thanksgiving Day ( Thanksgiving evening after dinner is fine) We have also been on the week leading up to Christmas and it was fine , however we left on the 23rd just as the huge crowds were coming in.

Upvote 0

epcot2004

We went Thanksgiving week a few years ago and did not experience crowds anywhere near as bad as the week we spent just after Christmas until just after New Year's. Was great having Thanksgiving dinner outside at Artist Point when it was freezing where we live. As another poster stated we did find it best to get to the park at open to get a jump on the crowds as much as possible. Our opinion is that Thanksgiving is one of the best times of year to be at WDW. Planning a future trip for that time frame soon.

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

We went in 2012 during the week of Thanksgiving. Was it more crowded than other times of year- YES. Was it still tolerable/enjoyable in our opinion- YES.

Really, this all boils down to your crowd tolerance. You've got people who are going to tell you it's horrible and to stay away and others who say it's more crowded but still good. The crowds were a bit more than what we've seen in August and June, but on par or maybe a smidge more than what we've seen in July. Still, the weather is much cooler, so it makes things more tolerable just from the comfort factor alone. It also only felt super crowded in some of the normal bottleneck spots and really not overly noticeable until the day before Thanksgiving. Plus, while the parks start going into holiday mode in early November...it felt normal to be in Christmas mode with it being the week of Thanksgiving.

Ultimately, if it's the best time for you to go- I think it's worth the trip at that time. If you're planning on going this Thanksgiving, be aware that ADRs for Thanksgiving dinner are probably pretty slim pickings at this point. FP+ mgmt. will also greatly help with your touring and ride waits.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom