Port Orleans French Quarter

G00fyDad

Original Poster
What are some of the good things and some of the bad things about this resort? In all our trips we have never stayed here. Just curious about it since it is a serious contender for our next trip. I'd search for reviews on the internet, but I'd get mostly a bunch of whiny comments from pretentious people. I feel like I can skip that by asking here. ;)

CAPTAIN HOOK

Good -
Small Resort - Half the size (geographically) of POR.
Small Resort - Half the number of rooms of POR, make it quieter
Bus stop at front of main reception - easier to get a bus and no driving around the resort
Disney Boat Service to DownTown Disney

Bad -
No Table Service - POR is the nearest

Problematic -
At busy times you can wait a while for a boat to DTD as POR is the starting point for most of the boats

Mista C

I would have to agree with Captain Hook above. I have probably stayed at POFQ at least 15-20 times over the past 15 years. I absolutely love the theming and charm of this resort and walking around, you will see how beautiful it really is. It is fairly small so walking around is a breeze and even when it's at full capacity, it never actually feels like or seems like it is full at all. Nice and quiet most of the time. The pool area is completely awesome and if you have kids they will love the serpent slide feature. I love the food court because they have a lot of choices and it is decorated like a Mardi Gras float factory. Easy boat service to Downtown Disney, and we have never had a problem with bus service to any of the parks. Most of the buildings have recently been renovated so the rooms are nice and fresh. As stated above, there is no longer a sit-down table service restaurant anymore, which is strange because it was always crowded when they used to have it years ago. Now it just sits vacant. Other than that, I cannot think of anything negative to say about this resort. Give it a try and you just may find your new Disney "home".

got2lovedisney

In the Parks
No
It's our favorite moderate resort. Love the theme, resort size, proximity to PORS if we want to take a walk and do some pin trading or eat at Boatwrights. For the quick service meal, I think the items on the menu at POFQ are better than at PORS. Some parks/time of day the resort share buses and POFQ gets dropped off/picked up first.

JIMINYCR

Good... Evening entertainment is available
Very friendly, outgoing door man/ greeter
Nice enjoyable walking path to PORS. Evening entertainment there too.
Centrally located to the parks
Nearby to Best Friends pet resort if you have a dog to board
Evening Disney films shown in the evenings

Bad... One very small hot tub
Can be a long ride on the bus as it goes around the circuit to pick up PORS guests before heading out
Food court doesnt have as many meal selections as PORS, so we walk over sometimes for something else
Smaller gift shop

POFQ has become our favorite spot to stay. The quieter, pleasant, beautiful atmosphere gets us coming back.

bebert

Hands down the best moderate resort in WDW. The rooms were recently refurbed so they are still in pretty good shape. Bus rides are the same thing you will see other resorts but, you will share a bus route with POR so keep that in mind if you are running on a schedule.

CtDisneyGuy33

Well, I hope the above reviews are correct...we are headed to POFQ in 4 days!! I've heard all the good things and the real complaint I've gotten was the bus takes a while sometimes. I have followed this site for a year now and most people seem to love it. I cant wait!!

I hope that's it!!

ToTBellHop

Well, I hope the above reviews are correct...we are headed to POFQ in 4 days!! I've heard all the good things and the real complaint I've gotten was the bus takes a while sometimes. I have followed this site for a year now and most people seem to love it. I cant wait!!

I hope that's it!!
Every single resort at WDW gets sporadic "bus service is slow" complaints. Don't worry about it. POFQ is a wonderful resort.

75disney

I concur with the positives regarding size, friendliness of the staff, and one bus stop. A few other positives are: the Mardi Gras beads that the CMs give out, the coins for the Wish Fountain in the lobby, the decor of the resort (the alligators are cute and the grounds are peaceful to walk around). The only negative was the size of the gift shop, but there are many other places where you can shop at Disney. It is a lovely resort; you will enjoy it.

JasonDeyoung

This is my "home resort" I stay here about 4-5 times a year. Never once have I ever had an issue. Once I couldn't check in at 9am if you consider that an issue lol. The food court is ok if you're just looking for a quick meal, I usually eat elsewhere to be honest. The boat to dtd only has a wait really in the summer and even then it's only like 15 mins or so. The busses are hit or miss. They could be full then head through riverside it I've had busses numerous times to my self and head straight to the park. The size to me is perfect. Nothing at the resort is more than 5 mins away. The pool area like stayed above is not huge but pretty awesome and the pool bar is quick with good drinks. If you drive there is plenty of parking never had an issue with that. I really have no bad things or complaints about it. If I did I doubt I'd keep returning so often lol it is just a great Disney resort, hidden gem if you ask me. I always get the pool view room building 2 but have had every view and building and are all great for their own reasons

mickey2008.1

A beautiful resort with great grounds. Finally new queen beds. No food court, but a relaxing walk to POR ( 10 mins). Never had a problem with busing or boats. A nice small resort with lots of charm. probably the best moderate resort and the quietest for sure. We get river view rooms, so peaceful at any time of day or night. If for a party of two, perfect. The whole port Orleans complex is great.

HRHPrincessAriel

A beautiful resort with great grounds. Finally new queen beds. No food court, but a relaxing walk to POR ( 10 mins). Never had a problem with busing or boats. A nice small resort with lots of charm. probably the best moderate resort and the quietest for sure. We get river view rooms, so peaceful at any time of day or night. If for a party of two, perfect. The whole port Orleans complex is great.
no food court? They totally have one.

I love the "small" vibe of the entire place.

Animaniac93-98

Stayed there last week for the first time and finally understand why everyone likes it. Would stay there again for sure.

Only negative is the lack of full service dining. It's very easy and obvious to find where Bomfamilles Cafe used to be (the restaurant that opened with the resort, closed around 2000 and just sits there empty). Even the check- in podium is still there!

Mista C

Only negative is the lack of full service dining. It's very easy and obvious to find where Bomfamilles Cafe used to be (the restaurant that opened with the resort, closed around 2000 and just sits there empty). Even the check- in podium is still there!

Yeah, I still am amazed by this every time I am at the resort and look at the restaurant just sitting there empty. We used to eat there every morning for breakfast back in the 90's. It was always crowded. I could understand if it was not making money, but I seriously doubt that was the case. I don't think that I ever ate lunch or dinner there though, so maybe it was slow at those times of the day? But still, they have a perfectly good restaurant just sitting there empty for 14 years. Re-open or change the space to something else!

ToTBellHop

Yeah, I still am amazed by this every time I am at the resort and look at the restaurant just sitting there empty. We used to eat there every morning for breakfast back in the 90's. It was always crowded. I could understand if it was not making money, but I seriously doubt that was the case. I don't think that I ever ate lunch or dinner there though, so maybe it was slow at those times of the day? But still, they have a perfectly good restaurant just sitting there empty for 14 years. Re-open or change the space to something else!
It's not empty per se. It's now WDW's test kitchen. Granted, I agree with you, it should be open to guests. With all of the dining at DTD, though, there is no shortage of easy-to-access dining.

cbettua

I hope that's it!!
Im heading to POR in 3 days, looks like we will be there at the same time :)

HRHPrincessAriel

It's not empty per se. It's now WDW's test kitchen. Granted, I agree with you, it should be open to guests. With all of the dining at DTD, though, there is no shortage of easy-to-access dining.
They could label it as such and still let guests go and try....what better way to see what guests like...than serve what they are trying to the guest?

Just do a flat price and basically it's a surprise meal. I know there are people that would go for it!

CtDisneyGuy33

Im heading to POR in 3 days, looks like we will be there at the same time :)

Nice!!! We arrive Sat noonish and leave the 28th - I cant wait!! None of us have ever been to POFQ so I cant wait!! I usually don't do the pools but seeing its been so hot down there, I'm all over the Dragon slide!! lol And I'll be looking for Hurricanes very soon after that... :)

When do you guys arrive?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom