2014 Epcot Food and Wine Festival

CaptainShortty

Did I see on twitter today that Disney canceled a number of their F&W up charge late night events? Must not have been selling too well.

The only thing that was cancelled was the Tuesday night Epcot Late Nights LIVE! event. The Thursday Late Nights LIVE! party is still available.

71jason

I seriously could not tell you the last time I was in EPCOT and didn't see multiple groups "drinking around the world." One time even a downtown law firm on a Friday afternoon. The crowds grow exponentially during weekends of F&W, but the percentage of drunkies stays pretty constant. If anything, Disney cracks down harder during F&W, because it's temps, not real bartenders looking for tips.

PhotoDave219

Ha. You're right, the drunks always run to Epcot, regardless of season, it's just that it's especially concentrated this time of year.

On a side note, I have zero tolerance. A full glass of wine gets me tipsy, it's embarrassing.

- B.

Ironic that your avatar is you drinking a glass of wine.

Loved you in X-Men as the white queen ;)

Thumper 32

The only thing that was cancelled was the Tuesday night Epcot Late Nights LIVE! event. The Thursday Late Nights LIVE! party is still available.

I don't know that I'd classify that as "the only thing" cancelled, like it's a minor change. Dropping basically half of the event nights for a large scale upsell they were trying to launch can't be a good sign for ticket sales.

RobnRachal

I don't know that I'd classify that as "the only thing" cancelled, like it's a minor change. Dropping basically half of the event nights for a large scale upsell they were trying to launch can't be a good sign for ticket sales.
We were victims :( We booked and then received a call last week that it was cancelled. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed. We were hoping to avoid the weekend crowds at F&W...downside to this plan is a lot of the special events are planned Thur-Sun. The Tuesday "Late Night LIVE" was something we could do. I'm sure we'll have a fantastic time regardless. ;)

jakeman

We were victims :( We booked and then received a call last week that it was cancelled. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed. We were hoping to avoid the weekend crowds at F&W...downside to this plan is a lot of the special events are planned Thur-Sun. The Tuesday "Late Night LIVE" was something we could do. I'm sure we'll have a fantastic time regardless. ;)
Same. We opted for the dessert party and the extra gift card. How about you?

RobnRachal

Hubby had no interest in the dessert party. Champagne and desserts would probably put him in a sugar coma. I told him I'd easily eat/drink enough for both of us, but alas.....
They refunded our $$ and, apparently, there is a "magical surprise" for us that night. Details of which are sketchy. I explained bringing back the segway tour would totally make up for it, but alas..... :p
Regardless, I'm super excited to be back at F&W. Hope you enjoy yourself :)

skyphotographer

15161798106_2aea9e8a8a_k.jpg
Can't wait!

PhotoDave219

It looks as if Odysee will be used for "Craft Beer" tastings

I was going to post to the exact same thing… it makes perfect sense. It's a food and beverage location so it's designed to handle the crowds it's going to get. The bathrooms are right there.

It's also off the beaten path.

PhotoDave219

Adding onto these thoughts… With the entire alcohol problem that there is. And the same people that are going to Epcot and getting hammered are the same people that go and get hammered tailgating before all sporting event, they get hammered after going running, they just go out and get hammered because that's what they do.

(In full disclosure, I do that while I play trivia. And we still win)

I would like to think the Disney is taking the guest feedback about the alcohol issues seriously by moving the craft beer off to the edge in a enclosed and controlled environment.

But it is a problem. There are addiction issues that societies dealing with and frankly it goes beyond alcohol. The same people who are filming their nose at people who Frank at the food and wine festival are the same ones who are ridiculously obsessed and addicted to Disney. Addiction is addiction. It doesn't matter whether it's drugs, alcohol, adult "stuff" we're going to Disney every day or every other day of your life. It's still an addiction.

So I think Disney is trying to make the best of the situation. I believe they know what's going on, I believe they know what to expect, and I'm pretty sure they will not put up with much foolishness. Another video that goes viral like that ex-Navy guy from last year, and they're going to really start to crack down on stuff. Because they don't want that.

Now why people can't be responsible with their drinks and hold their liquor in public, I have no idea…

Last edited:

ABQ

deja vu is coming through. Like a dog chasing its tail, this thread is sounding just like each previous year's "epcot food and wine festival" threads.
Waiting for all the examples of drunken guests to come through once the event commences, closely followed by the first hand accounts from forum members who witnessed nothing adverse to be countered by first hand accounts from forums members who witnessed many a drunk guest.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Only wish I were going myself, good shrimp and wine @ the Australia kiosk last time I was there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom