Guide to DLR for WDW Veterans!

Walt Disney1955

All I can say is do exactly what you would do when you go to WDW. Leave everything behind. Now, DL has some differences than WDW. It's smaller, in fact everything is generally smaller. The castle, the main street, etc. There are less parks. However, just because you aren't riding a monorail or a ferry to get to Disneyland it doesn't mean you still aren't in another world, because you are. Disneyland begat Disney World. Keep that in mind, because as magical as we think WDW is, DL is the original park and it feels at LEAST as magical in every which way than WDW.

There will be some Fantasyland dark rides you'll love and you'll wish WDW had them. Disneyland has a charm to it that is impossible to ignore. Stuff like Casey Jr., Storybook Canal Boats, etc. These are just different. They are charming. My wife and I rode these rides - no kids. Indiana Jones is spectacular. Matterhorn is a great ride. You'll actually like the fact that things are different at this park because while there are rides you'll be familiar with there will be some you won't be.

WDW has a better Splash Mountain and Tower of Terror. However, Pirates is much better in Disneyland. It's twice as long and if there is a ride out there that should be twice as long it's this one. I miss a couple of things like Country Bear Jamboree and Carousel of Progress. However, Mr. Lincoln is the same idea as Hall of Presidents, it just features Lincoln, but same type of idea.

All I can say is soak things in as much as possible. Hang around Main Street, look in the buildings. There is stuff like Walt's bench that he used to sit on while envisioning Disneyland as his daughters were playing at the park. Yeah it's a bench, but if that bench could contain Walt's thoughts............wow. Don't miss stuff like Fantasia and depending which time you go you'll see the "Magical" fireworks at the end of the night like I did. Dumbo steals the show there, wow.

You'll actually like how everything is a short walk away. The hotels are right beside Downtown Disney. Downtown Disney is right beside both parks. You walk out of DD and the entrance to both parks are there. And don't miss out on California Adventure. Nothing beats Disneyland, but this is still a very great park on its own. Actually I like it better than any other park in WDW except Magic Kingdom.

Lastly, Disneyland is the best park out there. It beats Magic Kingdom which is a tall order in itself. Belive me, I wasn't expecting it, but it does.

disney4life2008

Is it possible to do both parks in one day? I am going Thursday, October 16 (park hours are 9am to 9pm DL and 9am to 8pm DCA). I do not mind forking over the extra $50 for a hopper pass - I really want to see World of Color that evening. If the hopper would be a waste of money - I am content doing only DL in one day.

RMichael21

Is it possible to do both parks in one day? I am going Thursday, October 16 (park hours are 9am to 9pm DL and 9am to 8pm DCA). I do not mind forking over the extra $50 for a hopper pass - I really want to see World of Color that evening. If the hopper would be a waste of money - I am content doing only DL in one day.
I would recommend just sticking with DL. If you want to see World of Color, you'll have to skip Fantasmic (which is superior to WDW IMO) and the fireworks. Also, in order to see both parks, you would need 2 days. If you tried to do both in a day, it would honestly be a disaster, at least for us.

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster

I say go for it. Just make sure you prioritize your DCA needs - hit RSR/Cars Land, skip the WDW clones like Soarin and TSMM (TOT is better at WDW, safe to skip here unless there's 0 wait and you're super curious), see Screamin', Mermaid (never a wait and ours is superior to WDW since updates), Monsters Inc, get your WOC Fastpass, poke around BVS for a few, then head back to DL and spend the bulk of the day there before heading back for WOC.

You'll have to prioritize in DL too, focusing on superiors/exclusives like Indy, Pirates, Space, Big Thunder, Alice, Toad, etc. As long as you commit to moving quickly during the day, you shouldn't have any problem hitting all the biggies, especially if you're there at park opening.

PacNWTigger

I agree with @GiveMeTheMusic ! Totally go for both...it will take some prioritizing, but it is definitely worth the little bit of craziness. Grabbing Fast Passes along the way should be helpful too.

JillC LI

For what it's worth, we visited DLR for the first time in May spending one full day at each Park, and we far preferred WOC to F! so I recommend you do what you can in both of the parks, starting in DCA with CarsLand at rope drop, returning to DCA for WOC, and finishing in DL since they are open later. Don't do any sit-down meals and plan to move move move nonstop!

disney4life2008

@GiveMeTheMusic, @PacNWTigger, @raven24, @JillC LI - thank you all for the responses. I am solo so the backtracking and being able to exhaust the day will not be a problem. Thanks for the reminders about skipping some rides - Soarin is out. Do you suggest starting the day at DCA then spending the rest of the day at DL - then heading back to DCA for WOC?

JillC LI

Do you suggest starting the day at DCA then spending the rest of the day at DL - then heading back to DCA for WOC?

Yes, exactly this if you want to get on RSR which is a do not miss. When DCA closes at 8pm, you can head back once again to DL for the final hour. They really are only a few feet apart. And if you are in line for something at closing, you should be able to ride it. Don't forget that you can hold multiple FPs when it comes to certain things (like WOC).

disney4life2008

All wrong. DL's Fantasmic is so great because during the day, you can walk right on top of the spaces where Mickey and the Evil Queen stand for most of the show and do your own re-enactment! ;):eek::cool:

OMG I thought I was the only one that does that. At MK (though not the same boat) I always stand at the front of the boat on the Mark Twain - with a white washcloth and I am Belle - and I play the Fantasmic finale music and perform :)

stevehousse

If you don't get the dining package you can still get fast passes to it which is in the general same area...you can get them by grizzly river run.

ght

Where is a good vantage point for World of Color - I will not be using the dining package?
That can be tricky, a lot of the viewing spots for WOC are not that great (unless you are really tall) and each section has some really good spots and some not so good spots. One rule of thumb is if you can't get one of the front sections, try to get to the front rail of whatever section you are in. There are 2 FP sections (yellow and blue) but you don't get to pick which section you are in when you get your FP. If you get blue you might try to get the fire hydrant spot which offers some really good views and isn't that hard to get. It is right at the entrance of the blue section, you basically enter the blue section, duck under the rope to your right (if it is there) and then walk a few steps to the rail. If you can't get up front it provides nice views and is close to the exit when the show is over. If you get there early you should be able to get a spot closer to the front. One other thing, if you are in a section marked as wet don't worry about it. The "wet" is really just mist and maybe the equivalent of getting squirted with a spray bottle. In all honesty the heat from the flames in one section of the show are more irritating in those areas than any water that might hit you.

RMichael21

OMG I thought I was the only one that does that. At MK (though not the same boat) I always stand at the front of the boat on the Mark Twain - with a white washcloth and I am Belle - and I play the Fantasmic finale music and perform :)
But also, you can actually go on the stage where they perform. Because Fantasmic is on Tom Sawyers Island, they put fences up along the lake and you can actually stand in the spots where the charaters stand during the show.

George Lucas on a Bench

Fantasmic! is better at Disneyland. I didn't even like it until I saw it there. Everyone always mentions the dragon being better at Disneyland, but WDW is also missing perhaps the greatest scene from the show:

PeterPan_Hook.JPG

Figments Friend

Yep. What he said.

'Fantasmic' on both coasts are two completely different entities.
They share similar elements, but wow is Disneyland's the far superior one.

I was never a fan of the DHS version.
It was fun the first time, but it was not one that held up after repeat viewings.
DLs on the other hand is spectacular, and when Maleficent turns into a huge semi-AA dragon....WOWeeee!
Beats the crap out of WDWs 'head on a stick'.

DLs version is a absolute MUST SEE on a future visit.
WDWs version is a 'see it if you don't have anything better to do' as it stands now. Could use a refresh.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom