The Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 2: International Edition - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Wilde

Also.. Universal Japan just out did Universal Florida. Japan has the better Hogwarts, Look at these:
DSC02918.jpg~original

Something is living in the water
DSC02817.jpg

LOOK AT THIS BEAUTY
DSC02819.jpg
Dang. I'm officially jealous.

Voxel

President of Progress City
On this one, I'd say save your opinion until you've seen WWOHP...

It's...extremely impressive. Especially at NIGHT!
I have see it. :D It's impressive, but one of the things I loved about the castle in the books and my imagination is the black lake which is severely missing in orlando.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I have see it. :D It's impressive, but one of the things I loved about the castle in the books and my imagination is the black lake which is severely missing in orlando.
True.

But, maybe they'll work that in to the Train Ride?

Sortof hard to do the lake there, but the way it feels, it seems like the lake is "behind" the castle, so you don't really miss it (at least I didn't).

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Review (haven't done one in a few challanges, and this will be stream of consciousness as I read for the first time, I waited until 9p)

1) Like the faded Land logo...have you guys used that before? It blends well for this presentation. I like it.

2) Cursed Palace...sounds...familiar. Are the two teams getting too predictable now? <grin>

3) I can't say enough good things about the poem. Are they song lyrics? Really good job and a tip of the hat to whomever wrote them!

There are a few parts that are a bit clunky in rhyme (e.g. emperor and member...technically a rhyme, but not a very good one!) and meter (e.g. "and allowed the house to grow with massive expansion") was littered through, but for a week, I'm EXTREMELY impressed!

I also thought this ending was a touch confusing ("Time's running out and we need you to hurry,
But the Sorcerer's lurking, so try not to worry.")

Um, ok.

4) No placement in the park? Did I miss that? Adventureland? Fantasyland?

5) Great exterior artwork!

6) Having multiple stretching rooms isn't new (it's in the other mansions too), but I like that you took time to mention it and the reason for it.

7) I like that you "aged" the room as it "stretched"...that's a unique idea. I'm not sure how well an animetronic emperor would work out...were you thinking of using a Peppers Ghost trick here or a projection trick or something? I think a more ghastly appearation would be more appropriate.

8) Servants...hrm...sounds familiar. Are the two teams getting too predictable now? <grin>

9) Endless Hallway with Portraits...hrm...sounds familiar. Are the two teams getting too predictable now? <grin> The wandering ghosts is a nice trick. Not too sure about having stairs in a walkthrough though...(that being said, they exist in Sleeping Beauty's Castle, iirc...though, it may all be ramped now. I truly can't recall...

10) I'm still miffed by the storyline. I mean, I get the overarching tale (the poem did a good job with that), but are these people ghosts? Are they alive? I see the whodunnit, just not sure I appreciate it yet (though, I'm only on Scene 4, so that could change before I'm done with this review...remember, stream of consciousness!)

11) Nice use of the (as you termed it) "Living Character initiative"...though, I would worry that this would bog down the plot and flow...as Guests may not ask questions limited to the story! <grin>

12) "Classic Disney References" like what? Hidden Mickeys? An extra sentence with some examples would have been nice...you mention "Hidden Mickeys" later on...so I assume that's what you meant? Anyhow, clarification would be nice.

13) I LOVE THE GHOST SCROLL/BOOK IDEA!!!

14) Ok, so after all this creepy imagery, is that now gone? The rooms look rather nice now...

15) Scene 7 seemed like it wanted to be something (the ballroom scene, actually)...but it just never got there. It was well conceived, I think, but poorly written. Also, again, the room looks rather nice. Couldn't have used something else? Or filtered the image (paint.NET or Photoshop) or something to make it more eerie if it's supposed to be littered with cobwebs and such?

16) Ghost Wedding...hrm...sounds familiar. Are the two teams getting too predictable now? <grin>

17) I'm still not following these interrogations. I know why you included them (whodunit), but are these people alive or dead? I'm sure I'm just missing it...but...it pops into my mind every time I read one of the interrogation parts.

18) Like the kitchen imagery (as in, how it was written)

19) Scene 9 is fantastic. I can picture that in my head, and it would be an amazing internal visual. Plus, I like the 4 dragons wall.

That being said, the image used would have been better off left out, I think. Not that it's a BAD image, per se, but it doesn't flow with the text in any way. Also, what's that "red bush" above the river supposed to be?

20) Lessee....a Butler (advisor), a Maid, a Chef and a Gardener. (you know what I'm gonna say next) HRM...sounds familiar. Are the two teams getting too predictable now? <grin>

21) That Fireplace is such a classic concept art HM nod, though I'm not sure it belongs in the basement.

DAVISARTPORTRAITsideone-1.jpg

A nice detail that isn't mentioned would be if the color of the flames were...off. Like, I dunno, green or purple or something... But, otherwise sounds like a fun effect!

22) Like the moving statue idea!

23) Ok...this ending...

Things I liked:

a) You brought the story full circle using an identical room

b) I liked the sorceror's "reveal" scene. Nice twist!

c) I liked the room turning "magestic" as a concept. I think it would have worked better as the original stretching room rather than the throne room, as that would tie into your start even better!

Things I didn't like, or confused me:

a) How can you replay interviews after you specifically said they weren't directly scripted (remember, "Living Characters"?) AND you didn't address room to room flow, AND you said that the interviews could be "skipped" (implying there is no guide, nor anything that prevents Guests from skipping through a scene at their own pace?)

b) I'm not sure how I feel about the Emperor "commanding all the ghosts in the house to kill them all"...though, this does clarify something I was confused about. I'm guessing all the servants are living (currently...before the Ghosts get them?)

c) I'm not sure who is the good guy or the bad guy. In the poem, it's pretty obvious it's the Sorcerer, but by the end of the story, I'm just not sure (the Sorcerer corrected his mistake, and the Emperor killed 3 innocent people on a whim and seems to control magic of his own, since he can order around the Spirits)

24) LOVE the Palace Map. It's fantastic to show the outline of the attraction. HOWEVER, it doesn't match the description you used earlier...and I quote.

"During the walk through section, the space that is there for walking is about the width of of two normal queues, on average for the rest of the attraction."

This isn't a critcism, just something I think would have been neat would have been a bit of "interior" work done in the rooms themselves rather than just empty boxes, to relay this concept even better.

Summary:

Another home run solid post from Land. Keep it up guys!

I hope Sea wins, of course, but this was truly a pleasure to read!

Zweiland

My stream-of-consciousness response to englanddg's stream-of-consciousness review:
1) Like the faded Land logo...have you guys used that before? It blends well for this presentation. I like it.
Nope, made it just for this!
2) Cursed Palace...sounds...familiar. Are the two teams getting too predictable now? <grin>
:D
3) I can't say enough good things about the poem. Are they song lyrics? Really good job and a tip of the hat to whomever wrote them!

There are a few parts that are a bit clunky in rhyme (e.g. emperor and member...technically a rhyme, but not a very good one!) and meter (e.g. "and allowed the house to grow with massive expansion") was littered through, but for a week, I'm EXTREMELY impressed!

I also thought this ending was a touch confusing ("Time's running out and we need you to hurry,
But the Sorcerer's lurking, so try not to worry.")

Um, ok.
About "emperor and member"... that was a last minute edit. Before that, there were some words that rhymed perfectly but didn't make sense together.

I interpreted the ending as "since the Sorcerer is lurking, you need to have confidence and bravery and not worry".
4) No placement in the park? Did I miss that? Adventureland? Fantasyland?
IDI's computer malfunctioned before he could add that in, although we had decided from the beginning. It's in Fantasyland.
5) Great exterior artwork!
Muchas gracias!
7) I like that you "aged" the room as it "stretched"...that's a unique idea. I'm not sure how well an animetronic emperor would work out...were you thinking of using a Peppers Ghost trick here or a projection trick or something? I think a more ghastly appearation would be more appropriate.
Except he's not a ghost. Sorry if that was unclear.
8) Servants...hrm...sounds familiar. Are the two teams getting too predictable now? <grin>
) Endless Hallway with Portraits...hrm...sounds familiar. Are the two teams getting too predictable now? <grin> The wandering ghosts is a nice trick. Not too sure about having stairs in a walkthrough though...(that being said, they exist in Sleeping Beauty's Castle, iirc...though, it may all be ramped now. I truly can't recall...
There are some walkthroughs in Tokyo that use stairs, I know. The stairs are kind of off to the side of the hallway, so it is completely optional.
10) I'm still miffed by the storyline. I mean, I get the overarching tale (the poem did a good job with that), but are these people ghosts? Are they alive? I see the whodunnit, just not sure I appreciate it yet (though, I'm only on Scene 4, so that could change before I'm done with this review...remember, stream of consciousness!)
Alive. They are the only servants who did not desert the palace when it became cursed. That means they are either a) loyal to the emperor or b) the sorcerer.
11) Nice use of the (as you termed it) "Living Character initiative"...though, I would worry that this would bog down the plot and flow...as Guests may not ask questions limited to the story! <grin>
Very true...
12) "Classic Disney References" like what? Hidden Mickeys? An extra sentence with some examples would have been nice...you mention "Hidden Mickeys" later on...so I assume that's what you meant? Anyhow, clarification would be nice.
I can't respond to this as I didn't write the description, but hopefully IDI does.
14) Ok, so after all this creepy imagery, is that now gone? The rooms look rather nice now...
Yeah... use them as a reference point. I was sick, so I couldn't create much of my own artwork. Even when IDInstitute took over the slack, we still had to use some photographs. Note that we did use a filter to make it a bit creepier.
16) Ghost Wedding...hrm...sounds familiar. Are the two teams getting too predictable now? <grin>
18) Like the kitchen imagery (as in, how it was written)

19) Scene 9 is fantastic. I can picture that in my head, and it would be an amazing internal visual. Plus, I like the 4 dragons wall.
Thanks!
a) How can you replay interviews after you specifically said they weren't directly scripted (remember, "Living Characters"?) AND you didn't address room to room flow, AND you said that the interviews could be "skipped" (implying there is no guide, nor anything that prevents Guests from skipping through a scene at their own pace?)
We didn't address that as completely as we should have. The guests would be kept in groups for the most part. The main attraction is the interviews, and few guests would want to bypass that. The ones that did bypass the interviews would be kept in their own group, and hear the default versions of the interviews on replay. The ones that didn't bypass the interviews would hear their own interviews on replay.
c) I'm not sure who is the good guy or the bad guy. In the poem, it's pretty obvious it's the Sorcerer, but by the end of the story, I'm just not sure (the Sorcerer corrected his mistake, and the Emperor killed 3 innocent people on a whim and seems to control magic of his own, since he can order around the Spirits)
The simplest explanation is, the emperor has been affected by the curse as well. He has gone from being a gentle and kind soul to a depressed and impulsive person.
24) LOVE the Palace Map. It's fantastic to show the outline of the attraction. HOWEVER, it doesn't match the description you used earlier...and I quote.

"During the walk through section, the space that is there for walking is about the width of of two normal queues, on average for the rest of the attraction."

This isn't a critcism, just something I think would have been neat would have been a bit of "interior" work done in the rooms themselves rather than just empty boxes, to relay this concept even better.
Yes, this is just a basic layout. I agree that a more detailed version would be better. :)
Another home run solid post from Land. Keep it up guys!

I hope Sea wins, of course, but this was truly a pleasure to read!
Thanks for reading! Yours was great too!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Nope, made it just for this!

I liked it!

About "emperor and member"... that was a last minute edit. Before that, there were some words that rhymed perfectly but didn't make sense together.

I interpreted the ending as "since the Sorcerer is lurking, you need to have confidence and bravery and not worry".

Yeah, it was a bit jumbled. That whole last quatrain needed to be revamped a bit more, I think.

IDI's computer malfunctioned before he could add that in, although we had decided from the beginning. It's in Fantasyland.

Ah, makes sense!

Except he's not a ghost. Sorry if that was unclear.

By the end it wasn't, but at first...yeah...the poem implied it happened a long time ago, so I assumed they were all dead.

There are some walkthroughs in Tokyo that use stairs, I know. The stairs are kind of off to the side of the hallway, so it is completely optional.

I picked up on the side "endless staircases", but the final post implied they would be on the main walkthrough itself as well. "Part of this section will include walking up/down them."

Not a biggie by any means.

Alive. They are the only servants who did not desert the palace when it became cursed. That means they are either a) loyal to the emperor or b) the sorcerer.

Yeah, I got that by the end, just wish it had been clearer earlier...

I can't respond to this as I didn't write the description, but hopefully IDI does.

I'd love to hear his response!

Yeah... use them as a reference point. I was sick, so I couldn't create much of my own artwork. Even when IDInstitute took over the slack, we still had to use some photographs. Note that we did use a filter to make it a bit creepier.

I noticed a faded border (nice touch to keep the whole post consistent), but no filter...a sepia or clouds filter could have helped here?

We didn't address that as completely as we should have. The guests would be kept in groups for the most part. The main attraction is the interviews, and few guests would want to bypass that. The ones that did bypass the interviews would be kept in their own group, and hear the default versions of the interviews on replay. The ones that didn't bypass the interviews would hear their own interviews on replay.

Yeah, that should have been made clearer. So, I'd assume there are "guides" then? That is also not addressed...

The simplest explanation is, the emperor has been affected by the curse as well. He has gone from being a gentle and kind soul to a depressed and impulsive person.

Had that been clarified a bit more, it would have been a good touch.

Yes, this is just a basic layout. I agree that a more detailed version would be better. :)

Would we all have endless amounts of time! <grin>

Thanks for reading! Yours was great too!

Comp getting tight now! But, we still have at least 6 or 7 challenges left!

DinoInstitute

Hello there, I am here!

Englanddg, I know you asked about the references thing. Honestly, I put that in there for the draft, and meant to go back and develop that more, but must have overlooked that when editing. It would have been things like characters/landmark shapes in the food, attraction titles or famous quotes on the scrolls, and maybe mentioning where some hidden mickeys could be. Didn't get to that though.

Also, the red bush was a tree;):pI think it was mentioned before, there were some issues with my computer yesterday especially in the evening, and I guess the colors did't all come out right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom