Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

Monkee Girl

To be completely honest, I'm truly in awe that Frozen has grown to be as popular as it is.......The movie was mediocre at best. As for the overlay I'm ed!! It does not belong in World Showcase! If you want a Frozen attraction fine! but, in WS? REALLY? Why not a Frozen overlay at Blizzard Beach???

That's what I suggested a few posts back. Blizzard Beach would be the perfect place for it. A few redesigns here and there. You can also add in the ice rink, specially designs meet and greets. and you got Elsa's fun zone. Summit Plummet can be rebuilt to be a large mountain with Elsa's castle...all the buildings already look somewhat Nordic...so why not? Get them out of the Show case. And I never go to Blizzard Beach anyway so it's out of my hair :p

Mike S

By 2016 Frozen will be yesterdays news, so there's no worry of crowds being the kind of levels they would be if it opened today. A few years ago High School Musical was the big obsession, but I doubt a High School Musical show would get more than a passing interest today.
Sure hope you're right or else my avatar will become reality in 2016 o_O

BrerJon

The same goes for Harry Potter. It's been a few years since a movie or book came out. If High School Musical isn't popular anymore what chance does Potter have. It won't draw big crowds:rolleyes:

If you prefer a Disney example replace Potter with Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast. 25 years later, still drawing lines. 7 dwarfs are what 75 years old;)

Potter was never a super mania, just something that grew and grew in popularity over time.

Any kids craze as intense as Frozen has seen passes, it's the nature of the schoolyard. I'm not saying it won't be popular (although I think it's a mediocre movie compared to Beast or Mermaid) but Frozen mania won't be around because kid manias don't last that long. Name one craze, for kids or adults, that has lasted more than a year before trailing off.

As children grow up, they don't want to be seen as babies, and things they liked when they were little are just that, so things going from obsessive all-consuming, to something they just quite like, is a very normal part of the growing up process.

Will it be popular? Yes. Will it have kids who are 10 years old now, lining up for three hours to meet Elsa when they are 12 in 2016? Not so much.

Monkee Girl

By 2016 Frozen will be yesterdays news, so there's no worry of crowds being the kind of levels they would be if it opened today. A few years ago High School Musical was the big obsession, but I doubt a High School Musical show would get more than a passing interest today.

I still like the first and you're right. The hype died down and it will be remembered and a cute little kids movie. I still enjoy the first one very much.

However, I almost wonder if the same will happen with Frozen. Sure it will...but what I mean is no one is letting the hype die down naturally. Everyone...and I mean EVERYONE is trying to cash in on this thing. To the point of over saturation. So will the popularity die down because the next big thing comes up or will it die down because having it shoved in people's faces will make them revolt?

I know for me, at first, I didn't mind it. Yea i wasn't a fan of the actual film but friends and family liked it so i played into it. Made an Olaf cake for a friend's birthday, me and my cousin belted out Let it Go in our hotel room and throughout the park (in our worst singing voice ever) but at some point, I think it was during that dance recital time, it got to eh point where if people didn't stop talking about it, i was going to throw someone off a building. I have never EVER felt that way regarding a Disney movie and it's sad.

I don't think Frozen deserves to be hated. But Disney is giving me no other choice. lol

Matt_Black

And for centuries (including the near history around HC Andersen) Norway was part of Denmark. The separation of Danish vs Norwegian is splitting hairs in this case.... nevermind the story (even in the original) does not take place only in Denmark.. but actually set so the snow queen's palace is in the cold north.

It's not a norweigan folk tale explicitly.. but is not isolated from norway either.

Shh! Logic, rational arguments, and facts only distract from the blinding, righteous nostalgia-rage.

Matt_Black

I especially love the comments about "over-saturation" and "shoving it down throats". Back in February, when there was no merchandise to be found and lines to meet Elsa & Anna were 6 hours long, people were saying, "There should be an increased presence across all the parks" and "There should be more merchandise to meet the demands" (never mind the fact that no one predicted Frozen would be that popular). Disney does that, and the comments about over-saturation begin. Can't win for losing.

It's basic supply and demand, people. Demand for Frozen has far, FAR outstripped supply, so Disney is increasing that.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Potter was never a super mania, just something that grew and grew in popularity over time.

Any kids craze as intense as Frozen has seen passes, it's the nature of the schoolyard. I'm not saying it won't be popular (although I think it's a mediocre movie compared to Beast or Mermaid) but Frozen mania won't be around because kid manias don't last that long. Name one craze, for kids or adults, that has lasted more than a year before trailing off.

As children grow up, they don't want to be seen as babies, and things they liked when they were little are just that, so things going from obsessive all-consuming, to something they just quite like, is a very normal part of the growing up process.

Will it be popular? Yes. Will it have kids who are 10 years old now, lining up for three hours to meet Elsa when they are 12 in 2016? Not so much.
Agreed that it won't continue at the current frenzy indefinitely, but Frozen Mania doesn't need to continue at the level it's at now for the ride to be popular or for the meet and greet to have a line. Plenty of the other princesses are long past their prime popularity and still draw quite a line.

Disney is already working on a Frozen Broadway show and talking about a possible sequel so I don't think it will be forgotten in 18 months. Only time will tell if the movie ends up being considered in the same ballpark as the new classics from 20+ years ago but even if it doesn't it will be pretty popular for the foreseeable future.

Cesar R M

It's behind the restaurant, across from the now defunct playground.

My favorite "hidden" restrooms in the park, as almost no one seems to remember they are there.
so.. the best place to release the wrath of odin after surviving a hamburger from ABC Commissar(or whatever the name is) is that hidden bathroom?

Hey, don't laugh at Mr Staggs, he's trying his best here.
if thats his best.. I cant imagine is worst.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

The same goes for Harry Potter. It's been a few years since a movie or book came out. If High School Musical isn't popular anymore what chance does Potter have. It won't draw big crowds:rolleyes:

If you prefer a Disney example replace Potter with Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast. 25 years later, still drawing lines. 7 dwarfs are what 75 years old;)
there is a gigantic difference between a single cgi animated movie for kids vs 7 books (more coming) with 8 movies linked to them (and targeted to a wide public).

Last edited:

Cesar R M

I especially love the comments about "over-saturation" and "shoving it down throats". Back in February, when there was no merchandise to be found and lines to meet Elsa & Anna were 6 hours long, people were saying, "There should be an increased presence across all the parks" and "There should be more merchandise to meet the demands" (never mind the fact that no one predicted Frozen would be that popular). Disney does that, and the comments about over-saturation begin. Can't win for losing.

It's basic supply and demand, people. Demand for Frozen has far, FAR outstripped supply, so Disney is increasing that.
problem is.. TOO LATE.

Mike S

I haven't gotten sick of it but I can understand if people who seem like they were being exposed constantly grew tired of it. The only thing I have negative feelings for is this ride. I actually enjoyed myself a bit at Frozen Fun when I was at DHS recently. I didn't catch the singalong but I really liked the fireworks even though I thought some of the dialogue from the people on stage was a little awkward to listen to. "Just get back to the fireworks" was what I was thinking at times.

AEfx

Precisely. "By 1992 no one will care about The Little Mermaid..." (rinse repeat with each animated classic that has been a massive hit).

Frozen is not going anywhere. The only backlash I have heard of is from Parks fans, who as Matt says:

...folks are so fed up about the general doldrums of WDW that now that Frozen is getting attention, it's not the attention where they wanted, and now suddenly because Disney is meeting the very obvious demand. Finally watched it this weekend myself - great little movie. The best ever? Maybe not, but in terms of the rest of what Disney has given us this generation? It's the classic of the era, easily.

Will folks be waiting in 3-4 hour lines to see them in multiple parks simultaneously ten years from now? No, probably not - especially since by then Disney will probably industrialize the place so much that we are attached to conveyor belts and led through the parks on leashes to the attractions it decides we should experience. In any case, I would be willing to bet that they will remain in the top spots of the most popular princesses to meet for the next decade, easy.

Kids grow up, and more kids come along - and since Disney doesn't have anything in this vein in the pipeline for awhile, I have little doubt the girls have "made it".

Me too. I understand Maelstrom has its detractors but I terribly enjoy it. Made sure I went on twice my recent trip to take it in one last time.

I don't want you to think that many are "detractors" of Maelstrom - I think there is some indifference, but some of us do quite like it - even if we may understand why this is happening and how it's not the end of the world.

AEfx

I guess the concern for Norway is unfounded, as it sounds like Frozen has been the best advertising for the country in years.

Disney's Frozen fires up Norway's tourism

CNBC said:
Disney's latest animated blockbuster, "Frozen" is firing up Norway's tourism sector, as U.S. fans flock to experience the country's scenic delights.

The movie, which is set in the imaginary Kingdom of Arendelle, is loosely modelled on Norway's rugged coastline. Scandinavian mythology also runs through film, which features trolls, runes and staves churches.

Following the premier of Disney's Frozen earlier this year, travel to Norway from the US jumped 37 percent between January and March compared to that time last year, according to Innovation Norway.

Meanwhile, the number of people searching for flights to Norway soared by 154 percent, according to Flight Tracker. And Norwegian Air Shuttle reported a 52 percent increase on routes from the U.S. to Olso in March 2014, compared to March 2013.

"The movie has shown Norway as a spectacular destination," Per-Arne Tuftin, executive vice president at Innovation Norway told CNBC's Worldwide Exchange.

It's not Just Norway that has benefited from "Frozen". In March, it became the biggest grossing animated movie of all time, taking $1.7 billion at the box office, according to Walt Disney Studios.

The landmarks that inspired the film's breath-taking imagery, such as Akershus castle, Bergen and Thronheim, are scattered across the country, Tuftin said.

Nonetheless, enthused "Frozen" fans won't be able to travel on a budget: package tours typically cost around $5,000, according to Tuftin.

Thrill-seekers and explorers typically visit Norway for its winter sports, outdoor adventures and magnificent scenery. But this could now be broadened to including younger Americans, as well as families, Tuftin said.

Travel and tourism contributed 6.2 percent of Norway's gross domestic product in 2012, and is expected to rise by 2.7 percent to 28.9 billion euros in 2013, according to the Organization of Economic Co-operation and Development.

And Tuftin thinks "Frozen" could continue to warm the country's tourisms sector in the future. "It's sustainable. America has been a very important market for us since the beginning of 1930," he said.

Mike S

I guess the concern for Norway is unfounded, as it sounds like Frozen has been the best advertising for the country in years.

Disney's Frozen fires up Norway's tourism
Guess these people didn't get the memo that Norwegians are supposed to be completely okay with this because of more tourism.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom