When Does Disney World Get A $200m+ Attraction?

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
This is a little pie in the sky, but after returning from Disneyland and California Adventure, I have to say how impressed we were with Radiator Springs Racers and Cars Land in general.

At $200m, this attraction truly screams E-Ticket and Classic Disney greatness. Is it the most thrilling? No, but it didn't need incredible thrill. The size, the scale, the detail, the story, theming, etc are just outstanding. I couldn't believe how massive the attraction itself proved to be and how much better it flows than its sister attraction, Test Track. It almost makes me sad. Animatronics and show scenes galore! Great length....doesn't seem rushed or as though budget drove the final product. It has a Tower of Terror, Splash Mountain, Expedition Everest (original) no expense spared feeling.

I know Disney can't just haul off and build something like this and maybe something is in the pipeline, but EPCOT especially is DYING for an investment like this.

Overall, Disneyland is still second best for me, but they do well with the space in which they are limited. I hate to say it, but WDW is wasting its massive space with mediocrity and unused spaces in some many cases. I just get the feeling Disneyland would love to have unused Pavilions and land to build more.

Anyway, I'll write my usual letter to WDW regarding my experience at Disneyland and will report back on the response. They do always respond.

kap91

Avatar will be the first, Star Wars likely the next. Considering how much any attraction costs these days possibly one or two (two would be optimistic) in between. That's 2016-17ish and I'd guess 2019-20ish.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
That's what I'm hoping in regards to Avatarland and Star Wars Land.

I know imagineering tends to misappropriate funds, but it also seems the most recent rides have suffered budget cuts (Mine Train). With the resources to build great attractions, it's disappointing when areas of parks go dormant and unused (See EPCOT). Sometimes, I think it's a time management or operational issues that plague Disney versus financial. They simply don't want to shut down certain parts of the park to work or they are too busy with "other" projects to focus.

My "insider" tells me (I know a few people at WDW management) that once the issues with Magic Bands are worked out, EPCOT is getting a large investment. Apparently, Magic Bands are way over budget and underperforming targets and isn't doing what was originally intended.

JoeCamel

I know imagineering tends to misappropriate funds, but it also seems the most recent rides have suffered budget cuts (Mine Train). With the resources to build great attractions, it's disappointing when areas of parks go dormant and unused (See EPCOT). Sometimes, I think it's a time management or operational issues that plague Disney versus financial. They simply don't want to shut down certain parts of the park to work or they are too busy with "other" projects to focus.

My "insider" tells me (I know a few people at WDW management) that once the issues with Magic Bands are worked out, EPCOT is getting a large investment. Apparently, Magic Bands are way over budget and underperforming targets and isn't doing what was originally intended.

So what are you griping about, you got your magic band now go accessorize it and be happy. That is where the money went. Maybe after they spend a few years trying to fix MM+ they will find a pile of cash and actually build something great. Let me know when they do so I can get an AP that year if they are under $1000. With the way they are raising the prices that may not be the case. In the meantime I will be up the street where the big kids play.

lazyboy97o

Projects have been suffering budget cuts for decades now. Maybe someone at Walt Disney Imagineering would have a little bit of memory and be a bit more prepared.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Just think about all the navi meet N greets you'll be able to reserve six months in advance. No way that doesn't turn that frown right upside-down!
Not helping! I do think Avatarland could be breathtaking if done with proper resources and care. My only issue there is the questionable content.

Disney World is the definition of too big and I'm beginning to think a spinoff or change in management might be the only way to save the future state of the parks. They just aren't moving fast or decisively enough. It might still be good enough to be number one and they are still the clear leader, but I think diehards like myself will continue to feel disappointed.

For the love of Mickey, no more character meet and greets.

No more gift shops.

No more taking away something great in favor of a movie themed attraction with LCD screens and cut outs.

No more delays.

No more letting full areas die completely.

No more allowing great attractions to become so dated they have to be removed or abandoned.

MarkTwain

The marquee Avatar attraction could easily cost such a ridiculous amount. There'd be greater benefits if Walt Disney Imagineering's spending could be controlled and not encouraged.

This. WDI spending is out of control, and it's interesting to hear from insiders how prevalent the "money is no object" mentality is within Imagineering. WDI has some very, VERY wasteful practices within the conceptual phases of a project, and then they act surprised when the actual design has its budget majorly cut and their pitches for future concepts don't get approved.

Last edited:

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Are budgets really misappropriated or is WDI just over-bloated with unnecessary management and consulting positions?
There's a difference.
Yeah, that's what I was kind of inferring. There are too many people to take a cut and their opinions really shouldn't matter.

lazyboy97o

Are budgets really misappropriated or is WDI just over-bloated with unnecessary management and consulting positions?
There's a difference.
Why can't it be both? There are tons of layers but also practices like doing paint or material swatches at full size, on site.

Redsky89

Avatar Waste of Space Land is still coming. A Star Wars Land that I keep hearing rumored sounds amazing though. That would please so many people it's not even funny.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom