The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

dhall

Yes. And all I was trying to do is stimulate a return to the discussion now and see where folks opinions stand.

The good thing about me, beyond being right most of the time, is that I don't go back on my opinions. I've never felt this was a smart investment, a smart spend, and I warned that it would further Walmart WDW.

I see nothing at all to show I am remotely incorrect.
For what it's worth, I haven't changed my mind either, nor do I believe I was wrong.

WiFi coverage in all guest areas is a fairly positive, forward thinking guest service initiative: even though we all know that it would never have been implemented if it was only for guest service, it still counts (and I still believe that this is by far the biggest area of investment in the whole project).

Integrating all of their back end systems to build more complete & more accurate guest profiles is pretty much a standard cost of doing business these days, for companies the size of Disney.

Totally borking the actual roll-out & implementation was easy to see coming, given Disney's track record. They'd screwed up all the back-end systems for years, and now they were going to try and fix all of them at the same time, bring them all live together, and not really have a plan B for when things go horribly wrong.

---

The issue, to me, isn't that this cost 2Billion, or whatever: it's that 2B over the last 5 years or so represents such a huge portion of all capital investment in Orlando. NextGen taking up 20% of capital investment would've been fairly invisible: they would've had actual attractions to hype and all the IT upgrades could've been kept quiet, and could've been rolled out incrementally as they 're ready. If P&R investment had continued at the historic rates that ParentOF4's pointed out many times, then we'd've had quite a lot of new stuff to talk about instead of the stupid bracelets.

The root problem isn't that this program exists, it is that this program is pretty much all that exists.

lazyboy97o

With Norway being up and arms about their pavilion being taken over by Frozen maybe that caused a delay in the project and why they didn't announce it. This show would of been the perfect opportunity to do so
An announcement about closing, new attraction, reopening date, and all of that sort of stuff that typically would be overhyped twelve times over are a catalyst for a reaction to which Disney has no good answer. Waiting means they can wait until it is too late and in the mean time play dumb.

Last edited:

Next Big Thing

Lots of amusing twitter commentary on this...
I know i'm late in replying to this, but I was at MK when the problems occurred and it was a mess. All turnstiles went down. We waited15-20 mins from when we got off monorail, line to get into the park eventually extended down beyond security and they still weren't doing anything much. Eventually the system slowly started coming up, but at that point they just waved everyone though due to how many people were waiting. That is, every turnstile except for one where there was a jack*** security guard forcing people to scan tickets. I just left the line and walked through with the rest of the masses in the other turnstiles, but part of my family stayed and they were asking why they had to scan tickets when all other lanes were being let through and he started yelling at them for questioning his authority. I couldn't believe it.

Anyway, by the time we got in, the line at City Hall was ridiculous. So yeah, this is apparently what $2B+ buys you disney. Angry customers and a loss of money too considering how many people got in free (and then went to complain on top of that). Seriously, you can't have breakdowns in the system like that with the turnstiles. That's pretty much worst case scenario with this system and it's not the first time it's happened.

PhotoDave219

Careful, aren't you a bit fond of Tom Amity's future wife Scarlet? She was there and I'd hate for your calling her crazy, ruining your chances of nabbing her once she comes to her senses and dumps old Tommy. :D

She's a real life friend of mine… there is no need to bring either of them up on this board or into this conversation.

NearTheEars

I know i'm late in replying to this, but I was at MK when the problems occurred and it was a mess. All turnstiles went down. We waited15-20 mins from when we got off monorail, line to get into the park eventually extended down beyond security and they still weren't doing anything much. Eventually the system slowly started coming up, but at that point they just waved everyone though due to how many people were waiting. That is, every turnstile except for one where there was a jack*** security guard forcing people to scan tickets. I just left the line and walked through with the rest of the masses in the other turnstiles, but part of my family stayed and they were asking why they had to scan tickets when all other lanes were being let through and he started yelling at them for questioning his authority. I couldn't believe it.

Anyway, by the time we got in, the line at City Hall was ridiculous. So yeah, this is apparently what $2B+ buys you disney. Angry customers and a loss of money too considering how many people got in free (and then went to complain on top of that). Seriously, you can't have breakdowns in the system like that with the turnstiles. That's pretty much worst case scenario with this system and it's not the first time it's happened.

I know little about what happened, but would someone make the trip, bypass the TTC windows, get on the monorail and wait in line at the MK on the off chance the system would break down and they would get waived in for free?

To make a long question short, wouldn't they have already bought a ticket before getting to the MK gate?

P.S. It's awful that you had to deal with that. For TDO to not have a successful backup plan for when the main system goes offline is inexcusable.

Magenta Panther

So since #askfrozen is a thing, I asked "whyd disney lose faith in it's ability to make great movies? #blindsided #unprepared #scrambling"

Ask Robert Iger that. He has so little faith in Disney product overall that he bought non-studio-generated IPs in the belief that THAT was the way to keep the company strong.
images

NearTheEars

To answer your question, yes, but where Disney loses money is if someone has a 3 day pass for example. If they are being let in for free, they aren't scanning the ticket, so they aren't using a day off of the ticket.

Gotcha. Are there expiration limits on those tickets? I wonder how many realize that that day didn't count against them. At least they get something out of the hassle.

Again, why is there no backup? Seems crazy.

Next Big Thing

Gotcha. Are there expiration limits on those tickets? I wonder how many realize that that day didn't count against them. At least they get something out of the hassle.

Again, why is there no backup? Seems crazy.
It depends on the ticket. Some tickets expire after a certain amount of time after activation, some just give you a certain amount of days to use.

TP2000

Also, our Splash Mountain is the one ride that sticks out as being vastly superior in terms of both show elements and condition, compared to the DL original. But now, DL's BTMRR has an edge over ours.

Agreed. I rode Splash Mountain first at Disneyland repeatedly circa 1990-1993. Then around 1994 I rode WDW's Splash Mountain for the first time, and I remember exiting my log thinking "Hey, I didn't know this ride had a plot?!?" :eek:

Splash Mountain truly is the only ride at Magic Kingdom Park that is noticeably superior to the Disneyland original. (Haunted Mansion is a toss-up for me, but I've never been real passionate about that ride, so your mileage may vary.)

I've ridden the Tokyo Disneyland Splash Mountain several times in the last decade, and that one is even better than WDW's. But Disneyland clearly has the weakest, or at least most nonsensical, Splash Mountain of the three that exist.

Last edited:

Captain Neo

We'll see about Star Wars. I think the reunion film that's coming up will be very popular (if it doesn't stink that is), but after that...?

This is the same thing people said about Pixar and Marvel. With Pixar it was "IT'S GONNA BE ALL SEQUELS NOW THAT DISNEY TOOK OVER! PEOPLE ARE GONNA GET BORED!" and in reality we got 3 brand new films (Rat, Wall-E, and Up!) before Toy Story 3 followed by more original IPs afterwards (Brave and the new films) . With Marvel it was "YEA BUT THE RIGHTS TO ALL THE GOOD CHARACTERS ARE STUCK AT OTHER STUDIOS! OUTSIDE OF IRON MAN DISNEY CAN ONLY USE OBSCURE CHARACTERS. THEY GOT RIPPED OFF!!!111" meanwhile in reality land Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy kicked a$$ at the box office.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom