Is the Grand Floridian really that Grand?

DisneyJunkie

And what materials do you refer to? The flowers that's are constantly changed and are everwhere, the large plush sofas, the thick pile carpet? The nicest rest rooms of any hotel? Very uneducated information...

Try again. Though not having stayed overnight in a bed in the GF, I have walked through the place many times, in some cases visiting friends who WERE staying there. So I've seen the rooms, I've seen the lobby, and I've seen the grounds. Nothing there that impresses, other than its convenient location and the monorail.

BigTxEars

Yeah, that is what I used to think. Still enjoy on property, and am staying onsite in a couple of weeks. But there are other very nice places to stay.

Ton of great places to stay in Orlando, I go twice a year on business and stay at nice places all along International Blvd. But I am a HUGE Disney bubble guy, real or not I feel the bubble in a big way. I would rather not go than to stay off property. Damn mouse got a hold on me that won't stop!

epcotisbest

Ton of great places to stay in Orlando, I go twice a year on business and stay at nice places all along International Blvd. But I am a HUGE Disney bubble guy, real or not I feel the bubble in a big way. I would rather not go than to stay off property. **** mouse got a hold on me that won't stop!
And I would drive from the dumpiest dump on 192 and get to go over not getting to go at all. Just a matter of perspective I guess. For the first few years of going, we stayed offsite about twice a year. Later, we got a timeshare and stayed offsite once per year and onsite once per year. Now we mostly stay offsite once and DVC once and let family use the timeshare each year, or we use the timeshare for Colorado or the Bahamas or whatever. Anyway, I can't imagine ever making the statement "I would rather not go than to stay off property." I would much rather stay off property and go than to not go. To each his own. We have now experienced many off property stays that were better, some much better, than on property.

epcotisbest

And I would drive from the dumpiest dump on 192 and get to go over not getting to go at all. Just a matter of perspective I guess. For the first few years of going, we stayed offsite about twice a year. Later, we got a timeshare and stayed offsite once per year and onsite once per year. Now we mostly stay offsite once and DVC once and let family use the timeshare each year, or we use the timeshare for Colorado or the Bahamas or whatever. Anyway, I can't imagine ever making the statement "I would rather not go than to stay off property." I would much rather stay off property and go than to not go. To each his own. We have now experienced many off property stays that were better, some much better, than on property.
Oh, and we are working on trying to stay at every onsite. Have just about accomplished that. Staying at AKV Kidani next so yes, we very much enjoy onsite.

BigTxEars

I understand what you are saying. :)

If we were to go without staying on property I would enjoy the parks but just be really depressed when I had to leave the bubble each night. If fact I know me well enough to say the last few hours at the parks each day would be sad for me knowing I would have to leave property soon.

Since we fly to arrive and only go once per year I would just hate hate having that feeling everyday so I would just opt not to go at all. I am not picky, any resort on property would work, back of the rental car, in a bush, on a bench at Epcot....anything at all :)

epcotisbest

I understand what you are saying. :)

If we were to go without staying on property I would enjoy the parks but just be really depressed when I had to leave the bubble each night. If fact I know me well enough to say the last few hours at the parks each day would be sad for me knowing I would have to leave property soon.

Since we fly to arrive and only go once per year I would just hate hate having that feeling everyday so I would just opt not to go at all. I am not picky, any resort on property would work, back of the rental car, in a bush, on a bench at Epcot....anything at all :)
We always drive down from Georgia and go often, so I am sure it is a different experience. And, that bench at Epcot might not be too bad, especially if I had my own pillow, which I always bring.

BigTxEars

We always drive down from Georgia and go often, so I am sure it is a different experience. And, that bench at Epcot might not be too bad, especially if I had my own pillow, which I always bring.

I just can't afford to fly that often, not with the kids anyways. But oh they will move out someday and BOOM! more money for more flights for me :)

We have talked about driving but it's 17 hours each way, and I just know I will end up in jail along the way for child beating!

I would be down with spending the night at Epcot, near France for a nice breakfast :) Or somewhere inside Spaceship Earth maybe....

75disney

I have stayed at GF 2x, WL 2x, CR 3x, and Poly ? (So much I lost count). Never cared for GF. Felt it was pretty, but over-priced and stuffy. I do enjoy stopping there each trip to eat and see the Christmas tree and Gingerbread House (we usually go at Thanksgiving). I would rather spend my money at CR. (Even though I have stayed at the Poly a lot, once I actually went to Hawaii it didn't appeal to me as much). On my bucket list (when I am dine laying my kids' tuition) are the Epcot resorts.

s&k'smom

I didn't feel it stuffy at all, we liked it because we travel off season and it was always so quiet. My hubby's issue was that they put the villa's right behind the pool and it ruined a pretty nice view. Also for me as a parent of a special needs son we felt so safe there, last year we were able to let him go on his own down to the pool without us for a bit and it made him feel very grown up. We just have lovely memories of our trips there but my son has decided that he wants to try out the Contemporary, my issue is I've raised kids who only want deluxe resorts!!

surfsupdon

The Grand Floridian is just as simply not as grand as it was once.

The addition of the Villas really dumbs down the Resort, just as all DVC has done to the main Resorts they accompany. It c an't be a grand hotel with Villas connected to it, sharing the majority of amenities.

psukardi

I'll wait for someone to say that DVC will bring in the unwashed masses and riff-raff that wouldn't be able to pay rack-rate to stay at the GF but are now staying there because of DVC. It's where the conversation will ultimately go.

Full Disclosure - I bought into DVC and made GF the home resort

worldfanatic

Grand is just as grand as ever.
It's funny how people rip DVC, probably because they're unable to join for whatever reason (often financial).
But when they finally do join, their whole attitude changes.
I've seen it happen more than a few times on these boards.

BigTxEars

I'll wait for someone to say that DVC will bring in the unwashed masses and riff-raff that wouldn't be able to pay rack-rate to stay at the GF but are now staying there because of DVC. It's where the conversation will ultimately go.

Hey I resemble that first part! :)

epcotisbest

Well, now that you mention it, the place is certainly not as nice as it could be if it will let me in.

s&k'smom

I will admit as soon as I can I'm buying DVC and really want the GF as my home resort. Meet you at Mizer's psukardi!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom