Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Ariel484

Now that's a good idea. I don't need a quilt though. Be sure to post a pic of it when you get it.
Will do! Should be a week or two I think.

I don't need a quilt either but the shirts were just sitting unworn in my closet dresser, and I didn't want to donate them, so this seemed like some kind of solution...I think. o_O

dreamfinder

I just hope that they don't use the same shirts they had this year, which are cheaply made and don't breathe well.

I actually liked the shirts from the last year or so better than the older ones. To me at least they had more of a "runners" fit to them, a bit on the longer side.

FerretAfros

I actually liked the shirts from the last year or so better than the older ones. To me at least they had more of a "runners" fit to them, a bit on the longer side.
I actually liked the fit too, just not the feel of them. I guess you can't have everything, right?

And given how rarely I ever run in long sleeves (never), I guess it really doesn't matter what they're made of. Even the short-sleeved ones I've gotten from Disney in the past (primarily from DL1/2) have so much screen printing on the chest that they're not especially comfortable once you start sweating. Maybe I just shouldn't think of the shirts as something for running in, but a random race souvenir

Mad Stitch

Even the short-sleeved ones I've gotten from Disney in the past (primarily from DL1/2) have so much screen printing on the chest that they're not especially comfortable once you start sweating.

Lol. I have thought the same thing about the Disney tech shirts. All of the screen printing negates the moisture wicking properties.

dreamfinder

Maybe I just shouldn't think of the shirts as something for running in, but a random race souvenir

I haven't run in a race shirt for years. The tech shirts, it's not even so much the screen printing, as it is the cheaper quality. Almost every tech shirt I have gotten from a race (except for the most recent long sleeve Disney shirts) seems to have fishing line used for some of the seams. Or maybe one of those plastic things they use for tags. There is always a part that pokes me, or seams that chafe just from normal wear, never mind running.

lukacseven

I haven't run in a race shirt for years. The tech shirts, it's not even so much the screen printing, as it is the cheaper quality. Almost every tech shirt I have gotten from a race (except for the most recent long sleeve Disney shirts) seems to have fishing line used for some of the seams. Or maybe one of those plastic things they use for tags. There is always a part that pokes me, or seams that chafe just from normal wear, never mind running.

Agreed with the screen printing - some of the logos are so large they aren't practical for running. I've also gotten some with oddly placed tags or little plastic/rubber pieces. The Rock 'n Roll series gives nice Brooks shirts for races, but with rather large logos. I'd rather a cotton t-shirt - get much more wear out of it.

Ariel484

I just bought a LivingSocial deal where you send in shirts and the company turns them into a quilt. I used all old race shirts - of the 20 I sent in, 9 were from a Disney races. They received the shirts about a week ago so hopefully the quilt comes soon.

Only issue is I wasn't sure what to do with the sleeves from the long-sleeved shirts that have the park icons on them...that's one of my favorite runDisney details. If I was good with a sewing machine I'd make a tote bag out of them or something.
Will do! Should be a week or two I think.

I don't need a quilt either but the shirts were just sitting unworn in my closet dresser, and I didn't want to donate them, so this seemed like some kind of solution...I think. o_O

ETA: Apologies in advance for the length of this post.

Wanted to give an update on this. I received my race shirt quilt in the mail on Saturday and it's awesome!

I have always thought race t-shirt quilts were a pretty cool idea, but I am NOT a sewer. My husband's aunt is a very talented quilter, but I didn't want to ask her to put something so large together for me. I am subscribed to LivingSocial emails (a lot like Groupon) and a couple of months ago one of the featured deals was for a t-shirt quilt from Project Repat. This seemed like exactly what I needed - it even specifically said they could use dry-fit shirts - but I put off buying it for a few days, long enough for the smallest size ($45 for 12 sides of shirts) to sell out. So I bought a deal for the medium size ($75 for 20 sides of shirts). The other option was $85 for 30 sides of shirts. This was late July.

Shirts...9 of them are from Disney races because the unisex cut does not flatter me:
image%2B%282%29.jpeg

We had some work going on in the house, went on a cruise, and I finally started getting my shirts together in early August. You can have the company arrange the shirts for you or pick how you want them arranged, take a photo of the arrangement and include it with the shirts when you send them in to be sewn. I picked the "arrange your own" option because I am a control freak. :D

From the beginning I thought it would be cool to have my 4 shirts from Marathon Weekend 2013 be the center row. From there I tried to arrange them chronologically, but I thought the color placement didn't look good this way. Mostly I didn't like how there's a big white blob at the top.
photo.JPG

So I kept the middle row the same but moved other things around until I came up with an arrangement I liked:
image.jpeg

I went online and redeemed my deal...about a week later I received an envelope from Project Repat with instructions.
photo%2B%282%29.JPG

I was supposed to send in my shirts and picture, and if I wanted to use 2 sides from 1 shirt I needed to cut that shirt in half and include both sides in the picture (if that makes sense...I had 2 shirts I wanted to do this with). I also cut the sleeves off the shirts so they would fit more easily into the envelope.

photo%2B%283%29.JPG

I kept the sleeves from the longer Disney race shirts...one of my favorite details is how the park icons that are on the courses are printed on the sleeves. I'm not sure what, if anything, to do with these - sew them together end-to-end to make a scarf?! :D

photo%2B%284%29.JPG

The envelope went out in the mail August 10 or 11, and I got an email that it had been received on August 14. On August 28 I got an email that it had shipped, and it was on my doorstep 2 days later!

Here it is (I didn't totally smooth it out, oops)!
IMG_4607.jpg

IMG_4605.jpg

The non-shirt side is grey PolarTec fleece. Other color options were navy blue, magenta or black.

I am not the only one that loves it...
IMG_4615.jpg

Very pleased with how it came out!

Kristia

@Ariel484 - Very cool! I think I would have a tough time cutting up my Disney shirts! I have thought about doing this since it is such a cool idea and I am starting to have too many race shirts. The ones I like best are the ones I still wear though. I would have such a quandary as to which ones I would cut up!

Ariel484

@Ariel484 - Very cool! I think I would have a tough time cutting up my Disney shirts! I have thought about doing this since it is such a cool idea and I am starting to have too many race shirts. The ones I like best are the ones I still wear though. I would have such a quandary as to which ones I would cut up!
I thought cutting them up would freak me out more than it did. It was a little nerve-wracking, but I'd looked up reviews on the company before purchasing the deal and they were all good, so that made me feel better. Also, I realized that I'd worn each of the Disney shirts once, maybe twice (just to the parks the day after the race), and beyond that they'd just been taking up space. Really that's how all of the shirts in the quilt were, so it was easier than I expected to find ones to use. :)

Kristia

I thought cutting them up would freak me out more than it did. It was a little nerve-wracking, but I'd looked up reviews on the company before purchasing the deal and they were all good, so that made me feel better. Also, I realized that I'd worn each of the Disney shirts once, maybe twice (just to the parks the day after the race), and beyond that they'd just been taking up space. Really that's how all of the shirts in the quilt were, so it was easier than I expected to find ones to use. :)
I wear my Disney ones on occasion so I don't think I could cut those up but I will have to go through my other shirts. My drawers are stuffed full and I definitely need to downsize!

Ariel484

Hellooooooo

Today is Day 1 of Dopey Training for me - rest day! Woohoo.

I ran a half marathon here at home yesterday and was hoping to go under 2:10. Instead I ended up having to walk a lot of the second half of the race because the roads were so sloped that my left IT Band was shredded by mile 7. :grumpy: I did not get my goal time.

It feels better today but still a little sore, so I think I'm going to have to rest it for a few days...right now I'm hoping it'll feel better in time to do my scheduled Saturday and Sunday runs (3 miles and 13 miles, respectively). Not the way I wanted to start off my training! Oh well. We've still got 18 weeks so no need to panic just yet.

Happy running everyone!

216bruce

ETA: Apologies in advance for the length of this post.

Wanted to give an update on this. I received my race shirt quilt in the mail on Saturday and it's awesome!

I have always thought race t-shirt quilts were a pretty cool idea, but I am NOT a sewer. My husband's aunt is a very talented quilter, but I didn't want to ask her to put something so large together for me. I am subscribed to LivingSocial emails (a lot like Groupon) and a couple of months ago one of the featured deals was for a t-shirt quilt from Project Repat. This seemed like exactly what I needed - it even specifically said they could use dry-fit shirts - but I put off buying it for a few days, long enough for the smallest size ($45 for 12 sides of shirts) to sell out. So I bought a deal for the medium size ($75 for 20 sides of shirts). The other option was $85 for 30 sides of shirts. This was late July.

Shirts...9 of them are from Disney races because the unisex cut does not flatter me:
image%2B%282%29.jpeg

We had some work going on in the house, went on a cruise, and I finally started getting my shirts together in early August. You can have the company arrange the shirts for you or pick how you want them arranged, take a photo of the arrangement and include it with the shirts when you send them in to be sewn. I picked the "arrange your own" option because I am a control freak. :D

From the beginning I thought it would be cool to have my 4 shirts from Marathon Weekend 2013 be the center row. From there I tried to arrange them chronologically, but I thought the color placement didn't look good this way. Mostly I didn't like how there's a big white blob at the top.
photo.JPG

So I kept the middle row the same but moved other things around until I came up with an arrangement I liked:
image.jpeg

I went online and redeemed my deal...about a week later I received an envelope from Project Repat with instructions.
photo%2B%282%29.JPG

I was supposed to send in my shirts and picture, and if I wanted to use 2 sides from 1 shirt I needed to cut that shirt in half and include both sides in the picture (if that makes sense...I had 2 shirts I wanted to do this with). I also cut the sleeves off the shirts so they would fit more easily into the envelope.

photo%2B%283%29.JPG

I kept the sleeves from the longer Disney race shirts...one of my favorite details is how the park icons that are on the courses are printed on the sleeves. I'm not sure what, if anything, to do with these - sew them together end-to-end to make a scarf?! :D

photo%2B%284%29.JPG

The envelope went out in the mail August 10 or 11, and I got an email that it had been received on August 14. On August 28 I got an email that it had shipped, and it was on my doorstep 2 days later!

Here it is (I didn't totally smooth it out, oops)!
IMG_4607.jpg

IMG_4605.jpg

The non-shirt side is grey PolarTec fleece. Other color options were navy blue, magenta or black.

I am not the only one that loves it...
IMG_4615.jpg

Very pleased with how it came out!
I see lots of Cleveland area races in there. Nice to see a fellow 216er around here. I'm doing Dopey in January also and started the training a month ago. Dreading and excited by it. Good luck!!

Ariel484

Good find @Mad Stitch !!
I see lots of Cleveland area races in there. Nice to see a fellow 216er around here. I'm doing Dopey in January also and started the training a month ago. Dreading and excited by it. Good luck!!
Yep!! Pretty much half Cleveland, half Disney. :) Good luck with your training, should be getting some nice running weather here soon!

FerretAfros

I just found these new course certifications for the 5k and 10k. Minor changes, nothing significant.

5k: http://www.usatf.org/events/courses/maps/showMap.asp?courseID=FL14007TY
10k: http://www.usatf.org/events/courses/maps/showMap.asp?courseID=FL13017TY
Great find!

It looks like the biggest component of the change is moving the start line further north, which necessitates the extra distance in Future World West. If I were a betting man, I would say that they did this so that the corrals could be in the Explore lot instead of Amaze, meaning that runners won't have to cross the course to enter the corrals. Hopefully this will let us get to the corrals a little later and cut down on the amount of time that we're basically "trapped" there before everything starts moving

dreamfinder

Great find!

It looks like the biggest component of the change is moving the start line further north, which necessitates the extra distance in Future World West. If I were a betting man, I would say that they did this so that the corrals could be in the Explore lot instead of Amaze, meaning that runners won't have to cross the course to enter the corrals. Hopefully this will let us get to the corrals a little later and cut down on the amount of time that we're basically "trapped" there before everything starts moving

That would make sense to me. Was in corral A for the Princess 10k, and saw lots of people trying to sneak across before they let us through. It always struck me as being a bizarre setup, especially where people who weren't aware of that quirk from past years trying to sleep in a bit.

LindsayLoves

The runDisney vinylmation for 2015 have been previewed, now with Mickey and Minnie (though her eyes look a little off to me).

http://vinylmationworld.com/VMworld...-upcoming-2015-run-disney-eachez-vinylmations

(I didn't want to steal the photos and post them here since its not directly from runDisney and so I think the site should get credit by people clicking over to them)

Do we have a guess when the new runDisney New Balance are going to be revealed?

Ariel484

Hmm...I agree @LindsayLoves, Minnie does seem a little off. I'll definitely be getting the Mickey one. Maybe the Minnie will look better in person?

Gotta start saving now, I know I'll be buying all of the things!! :) :greedy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom