How do you share your trip photos?

KeithVH

Original Poster
So, you just got back, did all your PP, and, out of 5,000+ shots, you got ~400 keepers. You want to share with friends and family in other states/countries.

Besides burning and mailing DVDs, how do you go about getting everyone access to your shots?

Difficulty: without spending money.

fractal

So, you just got back, did all your PP, and, out of 5,000+ shots, you got ~400 keepers. You want to share with friends and family in other states/countries.

Besides burning and mailing DVDs, how do you go about getting everyone access to your shots?

Set up a photobucket, flickr, or other photo sharing account. I have a smugmug account which I also use for backup and storage ( cost $ ) but I think you can use other sites ( up to a limit ) for free.

Download your pics there and then email a link to your family and friends.

NowInc

Flickr. You get 1tb of storage for free, or for $25 a year you can get unlimited. Easy to make photo albums to share, and your relatives/viewers can even comment on them.

Gig 'Em Mickey

What he said. Right now Flickr is the best option. You could also share a folder on dropbox or google drive that your family could download as well.

WDWFigment

They aren't for everyone, but writing a trip report can be a good way to share them as a finished product. Even if you aren't too keen on doing a lot of writing, a sentence or two between each photo isn't too bad.

Still, you need a place for hosting...

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

You can create a trip report on WDWMAGIC and upload your photos directly to the forum. No external host needed.

This obviously only works if you are ok with the world seeing your photos :)

ddbowdoin

What about making your own website, a squarespace account is only like 175 bucks a year... It's worth spending some dough

SagamoreBeach

Do like Bernice on the Geico commercial....pin them on your wall....and save 50% on your insurance in half the time. I LOVE that commercial! (I hope its Geico - I'm usually laughing too hard to hear the rest of it.)
-T

KeithVH

Original Poster
i was surprised Flickr has 1TB free storage. Obviously they're making money somewhere.

Thanks to everyone for the input!

NowInc

i was surprised Flickr has 1TB free storage. Obviously they're making money somewhere.

Thanks to everyone for the input!

Ads.

Personally, I feel its worth it to pay the $25 a year for unlimited. Even tho I have yet to come even CLOSE to hitting 1tb on there, the cost comes with better stats, tracking, as well as a smoother ad-free existence.

hippymeow

I normally put them all on facebook to share with my family and friends! The "good" ones, I add to my tumblr and put up on my blog in a photo diary. I also add some to flickr.
x

seafoodbuffet

Another reasonable alternative is imgur. I know that's it's often associated with cat meme pics on reddit but it's actually a reasonable photo host and unlike photobucket, has no bandwidth limits. I wrote a howto for another forum and made the mistake of using photobucket. Now, once a month, all my pics stop working because I exceeded the free account bandwidth limit.

That said, I like Flickr, but does it allow direct-linking to the image itself if I want to embed it in say a trip report?

NowInc

Another reasonable alternative is imgur. I know that's it's often associated with cat meme pics on reddit but it's actually a reasonable photo host and unlike photobucket, has no bandwidth limits. I wrote a howto for another forum and made the mistake of using photobucket. Now, once a month, all my pics stop working because I exceeded the free account bandwidth limit.

That said, I like Flickr, but does it allow direct-linking to the image itself if I want to embed it in say a trip report?

it sure does :)

seafoodbuffet

it sure does :)

So I looked into this a little bit. It appears that while it's possible to directly link to Flickr images but it's not very straight-forward and nothing in Flickr's help/documentation mentions how to do it directly. Basically you have to pick off the src url from the generated HTML or BBCode img tag. The implication being that it's either a direct violation of TOS (as others have mentioned) or at least a bit of a pain.

Am I missing anything? I'd rather use flickr as imgur has some pretty horrible terms of use (like they own the photos you upload), but flickr doesn't exactly make it easy to embed images into this board.

NowInc

So I looked into this a little bit. It appears that while it's possible to directly link to Flickr images but it's not very straight-forward and nothing in Flickr's help/documentation mentions how to do it directly. Basically you have to pick off the src url from the generated HTML or BBCode img tag. The implication being that it's either a direct violation of TOS (as others have mentioned) or at least a bit of a pain.

Am I missing anything? I'd rather use flickr as imgur has some pretty horrible terms of use (like they own the photos you upload), but flickr doesn't exactly make it easy to embed images into this board.

Onto this board? Its the only way I embed images. They generate the BB code for you. On your flickr image, click the right facing arrow (middle of the 3 icons that appear on the bottom right), then it pops up a window with many embeding options. Select BB code, a size, and just copy and paste the code here :)

seafoodbuffet

Onto this board? Its the only way I embed images. They generate the BB code for you. On your flickr image, click the right facing arrow (middle of the 3 icons that appear on the bottom right), then it pops up a window with many embeding options. Select BB code, a size, and just copy and paste the code here :)

Okay, so you post images via the generated BBcode as opposed to a direct link to the photo via the Image button in the editor?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom