Step counter

TXDisney

Original Poster
With the nike fuelband, jawbone up, etc. wristbands that count your steps, distance traveled, calories burned and sleeping habits. Anyway you think Disney somehow incorporates this into the magic band at some point? Everything's about money, so they could charge a rate, that makes it active the days you're there or something like that, and have your stats in the MDE app. Just an idea, I know disney is always thinking on new ways to attract people and make money, this can be a little add in with the magic bands.

CaptainShortty

With the nike fuelband, jawbone up, etc. wristbands that count your steps, distance traveled, calories burned and sleeping habits. Anyway you think Disney somehow incorporates this into the magic band at some point? Everything's about money, so they could charge a rate, that makes it active the days you're there or something like that, and have your stats in the MDE app. Just an idea, I know disney is always thinking on new ways to attract people and make money, this can be a little add in with the magic bands.

The technology to have one that is reliable (like the Fuelband, Fitbit, etc.) is so expensive I'm not sure I see them doing this since Guests will only have it for such a short amount of time. So many Guests already have on they use all year round, it isn't likely they'd purchase one at the steep price it would have to be to make a profit for just a few days of their vacation. If anything, I can see them teaming up with one of the companies and making one of the products Disney themed. Like having a fuel band with hidden Mickeys on it or something like that.

seafoodbuffet

Aside from the fact that Disney is probably not in the business of fitness bands, someone once said this about all wearables: "Everything is a balance between functionality and battery life".

Adding a step counter might not be hard, but how will you retrieve it? Does that involve adding a display? How will that affect battery life? How will that affect cost? It gets complicated rather fast.

If you're interested in distance travelled, Disney could probably just correlate the location data they have (when did you enter the park? when do you check-in for each FastPass attraction? When did you buy something?) and do some modeling to come up with approximate distances walked.

Not sure that that's of immediate value to their park guests other than park operations when balanced against the cost of determining this.

got2lovedisney

In the Parks
No
I like the idea. I'm already wearing the magic band 24/7 while at the parks, it would be convenient if I didn't have to wear my Garmin as well. Would I pay extra for this feature? No, probably not.

TXDisney

Original Poster
Ya Disney actually doing it seems a little difficult now that u think about it. But one of the companies should link there's up with Disney like Nike or someone. Where the company adds some features that can link with Disnet rather than the other way around.

rt06

People who have purchased a band are those that have an interest in their health. For the vast majority of park goers, not so much. When you think about it, it really wouldn't make MDE any better. It'll likely lead to more bugs and crashes. I'd rather they focus on streamlining the whole itinerary/ADR/FP/park hours screens. I mean, that calendar is awful to navigate.

TXDisney

Original Poster
Ya it is pretty slow. I'd like to see it allow you to link your debit account up to it before check in. I for one normally go straight from the airport to a park before checking in later in the evening. So that 1st day I have to keep taking my wallet out for purchases. Not a huge big deal, I understand the security part of it with a pin at check in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom