Electrical Water Pageant music

mharrington

Original Poster
The music of the Electrical Water Pageant is much different today. The current music wasn't always like this. The current music is directed by Steve Skorija and arranged by Michael Atwell. Here's the current soundtrack, depending on who is depicted:

1. INTRO: Fanfare/Daughters of Triton (from The Little Mermaid)
  2. DRAGON: The Dragon (by Michael Atwell)
  3. WHALE: A Whale of a Tale (from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea)
  4. TURTLE: The Turtle (by Michael Atwell)
  5. OCTOPUS: Poor Unfortunate Souls (from The Little Mermaid)
  6. DOLPHINS: The Dolphin (by Michael Atwell)
  7. DINOSAUR: Walk the Dinosaur (by the band Was (Not Was))
  8. ALLIGATOR: Never Smile At a Crocodile (from Peter Pan)
  9. KING NEPTUNE: Fanfare/Daughters of Triton and Under the Sea (from The Little Mermaid)
  10. PATRIOTIC FINALE: You're a Grand Old Flag, Yankee Doodle and America the Beautiful
  11. TRAVELING MUSIC: Jig (from The Little Mermaid)

As you can see, much of the present day music has been revised; much of it now from The Little Mermaid. But it wasn't always like this, though. My question is, what was the 1971 soundtrack and when was it changed?

Expo_Seeker40

The original 1971 soundtrack was also the soundtrack used in the original version of the main street electrical parade at disneyland from 1972-1975. So one would have to find the composition of that original version of the electrical parade to hear what the electrical water pageant sounded like.

Then in 1981 or so the electrical water pageant recieved a new score that coincided with the tencenial celebration.

After the tencenial celebration the score was changed again into a new composition.

Then in 1990/1991 the score was changed to what we have to this day.

The floats for the pageant have also changed. While the number of floats and the finale of flags and stars remains the same,this is what has changed...

Sea Serpent: original

Whale: original

Turtle: originally two sealions playing with a ball

Octopus: originally a clamshell opening up

Dolphins: original

Dinosaur: originally three mermaids

note: the dolphins and mermaids positions were changed when the new and current floats debued after the tencenial celebration.

aligator: orginally a school of fish

the sea king: original

Eyorefan

The original 1971 soundtrack was also the soundtrack used in the original version of the main street electrical parade at disneyland from 1972-1975. So one would have to find the composition of that original version of the electrical parade to hear what the electrical water pageant sounded like.

Then in 1981 or so the electrical water pageant recieved a new score that coincided with the tencenial celebration.

After the tencenial celebration the score was changed again into a new composition.

Then in 1990/1991 the score was changed to what we have to this day.

The floats for the pageant have also changed. While the number of floats and the finale of flags and stars remains the same,this is what has changed...

Sea Serpent: original

Whale: original

Turtle: originally two sealions playing with a ball

Octopus: originally a clamshell opening up

Dolphins: original

Dinosaur: originally three mermaids

note: the dolphins and mermaids positions were changed when the new and current floats debued after the tencenial celebration.

aligator: orginally a school of fish

the sea king: original

WOW thanks for the great info! :wave:

CBOMB

I certainly am impressed with all the information on the past, and present show. I don't know why but I love the EWP, I try to catch it 4 or 5 times a year. It just never seems to get old to me.

Barndog

I'm pleasantly surprised Disney has remained dedicated to the EWP so long.

This just seems like it would be such an easy thing to cut from the budget.

I'm sure its not cheap to maintain 35+ year old wire frame barges, with batteries (or generators?) and wiring.

Most people don't even know about the EWP. And it's certainly not drawing guests to the resorts. The EWP is hardly advertised ANYWHERE except for resort "activity" sheets you receive at check-in.

And when the hurricanes of 2004 damaged several of the barges, I was convinced this little "detail" of Disney would disappear quietly into Yesterdayland.

Little things like the EWP convince me that, despite some of the bone-headed moves the company has made over the years, Disney has not lost sight of what makes it successful and unique.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The beach at the Poly or GFBR are favourites. Possibly the Bay Lake beach of the Contemporary too. I`ve seen it from the Contemps observation deck; double your money, but a bit too far away.

jeffb

Where are some good locations to view the parade??

I would recommend the dock at the Grand Floridian since you get the Polynesian / Contempoary / Magic Kingdom as your back drop for the show.

I am a big fan of the EWP and always catch it more than once per trip. I am very glad to see it that it is still around.

spectrodanny

for those who are curious here is the chronological history of the soundtracks as best asIi've been able to gather
Paul Beaver and Jim Cheristiansen October '71 and Jim Christiansen=sometime in '72 it was just simply Baroque Hoedown
1972-1977 (Paul Beaver Jim Christiansen) Baroque Hoedown with Disney melodies mixed in:
1977-1994 (or '95) Don Dorsey and Jim Christiansen:
94 ('95)-current:

spectrodanny

I actually like this intro. I hope the keep it without the 50th dialogue.
same. I'm sure they'll think of some way to modify the dialogue post-50th. oh and in case anyone is planning to film each intro/outro and upload them to youtube I have just discovered the stop at Magic Kingdom on nights when the park is open late HAS returned. (it wasn't listed as such when EWP returned in December)

THEMEPARKPIONEER

same. I'm sure they'll think of some way to modify the dialogue post-50th. oh and in case anyone is planning to film each intro/outro and upload them to youtube I have just discovered the stop at Magic Kingdom on nights when the park is open late HAS returned. (it wasn't listed as such when EWP returned in December)
I really liked how it faded out like that. You know what would be awesome, if they had floating whirly pods that drove up close to the shoreline, maybe like the whirly fish in Spectro.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom