Which water park

jencor

Hi, we will be going on a cruise and afterwards 5 days at Disney in the mid to end of October. We will be getting there a couple of days early for relaxation before we start the cruise. We have 8 days left on non expiring tickets of water parks and more still available and was thinking of heading to one of the waterparks for a bit. We have never been to the water parks before. Our question is which one. I know there is info on the waterparks, but what I cannot figure out is exactly which water park might be more accessible for a wheelchair. My wife uses a wheelchair when she has to walk farther then around the house and from house to car. Uses a cane to the car or will hang on to me, so she does get around a bit and can get out of chair and move around a bit. We probably will not worry about the big slides, but just relaxing and enjoying some small things plus the atmosphere. So the question-- which might be more accessible for someone to enjoy, do a few things and just relax. Also can you exit the park and return. I know years ago you could not with Disney Quest, which makes it difficult for someone who becomes fatigued and needs to go lay down for a while.

CAPTAIN HOOK

Now if you'd asked which hater park was best with kids, or best for thrill seekers, or even best for just lazing around then I'd offer you some advice.
Unfortunately when it comes to wheelchair accessibility I haven't got a clue. However, hopefully by bumping this thread up, somebody will see it and be able to help you.

Upvote 0

Club34

I cannot speak directly to the amount of wheelchair access at any of the 2 parks. However, if slides and such are not really your thing and you are looking for more atmosphere and lounging, then I would most definitely recommend Typhoon Lagoon. It is an underrated treasure at WDW. It's tropical theming is lush and some of the best on property. There is a lazy river as well- I don't know if your wife would be able to engage in that activity. The area around the large wave pool is like a beach- complete with sand. There are alcoves and shady spots- just get there at opening to poach the best spots. The surf is great and even if you don't go in. The atmosphere is great. The pool itself is ginormous and is zero entry. You could sit in the shallows and enjoy some small waves without worry of being knocked over I think. They play surf/beach music all day. Try the mini-donut stand if you don't care about carbs. Ok, where's the credit card? I just talked myself into a trip.

By contrast, Blizzard Beach is more concrete jungle. The theming/story-telling there is top notch as well [the freak blizzard in Florida and now its melting creating the slides/park, etc, etc]. However, BB is very slide-centric. I went once just out of curiosity. Great park, but I would go to TL 999/1000.

Upvote 0

jencor

Original Poster
Now if you'd asked which hater park was best with kids, or best for thrill seekers, or even best for just lazing around then I'd offer you some advice.
Unfortunately when it comes to wheelchair accessibility I haven't got a clue. However, hopefully by bumping this thread up, somebody will see it and be able to help you.

I do appreciate that. Having never been in the water parks, not sure if just getting to a few things works. Maybe will check out some videos and see if I can get a feel. Just want to enjoy some and just for a couple of hours. Not an all day thing.

Upvote 0

jencor

Original Poster
I cannot speak directly to the amount of wheelchair access at any of the 2 parks. However, if slides and such are not really your thing and you are looking for more atmosphere and lounging, then I would most definitely recommend Typhoon Lagoon. It is an underrated treasure at WDW. It's tropical theming is lush and some of the best on property. There is a lazy river as well- I don't know if your wife would be able to engage in that activity. The area around the large wave pool is like a beach- complete with sand. There are alcoves and shady spots- just get there at opening to poach the best spots. The surf is great and even if you don't go in. The atmosphere is great. The pool itself is ginormous and is zero entry. You could sit in the shallows and enjoy some small waves without worry of being knocked over I think. They play surf/beach music all day. Try the mini-donut stand if you don't care about carbs. Ok, where's the credit card? I just talked myself into a trip.

By contrast, Blizzard Beach is more concrete jungle. The theming/story-telling there is top notch as well [the freak blizzard in Florida and now its melting creating the slides/park, etc, etc]. However, BB is very slide-centric. I went once just out of curiosity. Great park, but I would go to TL 999/1000.

That helps a lot. She could probably do the lazy river and some of that wave pool, and then of course watch me do it some. Actually her balance in the water is better. She is even contemplating do the snorkeling on the cruise, but it is a play it by ear type thing. She has good and not as good days, so sometimes just depends. Thanks for the info.

Upvote 0

BrianV

The wave pool at TL is intermittently calm and crazy with waves. I likes this because I prefer the calm periods. The wave pool at BB is always wavy.

I agree also that the theming at TL is better.

I think you can leave and come back any time you like. I could be wrong because we've never tried.

Upvote 0

BrianV

That helps a lot. She could probably do the lazy river and some of that wave pool, and then of course watch me do it some. Actually her balance in the water is better. She is even contemplating do the snorkeling on the cruise, but it is a play it by ear type thing. She has good and not as good days, so sometimes just depends. Thanks for the info.

I didn't read well. If she likes snorkeling, TL, has a snorkeling tank that is brief but really fun. The best part of any of the places. If that is something she likes,go to TL.

Upvote 0

jencor

Original Poster
I didn't read well. If she likes snorkeling, TL, has a snorkeling tank that is brief but really fun. The best part of any of the places. If that is something she likes,go to TL.

Thanks. From what I am hearing, this one may be more for us.

Upvote 0

Rob562

The OP didn't give their exact dates in October, but be aware that Typhoon Lagoon is closed this year for its annual refurb starting on October 26th. It won't reopen until January 4th. During that stretch Blizzard Beach is your only water park option.

-Rob

Upvote 0

jencor

Original Poster
The OP didn't give their exact dates in October, but be aware that Typhoon Lagoon is closed this year for its annual refurb starting on October 26th. It won't reopen until January 4th. During that stretch Blizzard Beach is your only water park option.

-Rob

Did see that and it would be about the 20th, so both parks still available. Our big question will be weather and that is a wait and see.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom