Is the Grand Floridian really that Grand?

squidward

I loved the GF both times we stayed there. That was before the room refurbishment which I don't like. That being said given the prices, the rooms should be larger. But given that the Polynesian is now ruined and I have no desire to stay at the Contemporary, the GF would be our only choice on the monorail line.

rob0519

I loved the GF both times we stayed there. That was before the room refurbishment which I don't like. That being said given the prices, the rooms should be larger. But given that the Polynesian is now ruined and I have no desire to stay at the Contemporary, the GF would be our only choice on the monorail line.

I agree the Poly is ruined. Why don't you want to stay at the CR? Just curious because we've stayed there more than any other resort.

squidward

I agree the Poly is ruined. Why don't you want to stay at the CR? Just curious because we've stayed there more than any other resort.

It just feels so cold and business like to me. I also don't care for the rooms. Low ceiling, no fans, no lock on bathroom door, TV directly in front of 1 bed but at odd angle from the 2nd.

worldfanatic

there are many true luxury resorts in the Orlando area that are much nicer and more affordable. We stayed at the Ritz Carlton Grande Lakes in May and at about one third the price it was much nicer. We have also stayed at the Peabody (now Hyatt), Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress, Omni, several Marriotts and Hilton's that are more grand. Still, we like Disney resorts and are headed to AKV soon.
all this talk about the expensive resorts makes me feel so out of place. hey, all star sports has been my home for the last 4 years and its grand to me :)

I'd happily stay at All Star Sports rather than all those "luxury" resorts mentioned.
If you stay off property at Disney World, even if it's a 30 room mansion, YOU'RE NOT DOING IT RIGHT.
You may still have fun, but YOU'RE NOT DOING IT RIGHT

My opinion of course......
But I'm always right.

DisneyJoe

It just feels so cold and business like to me. I also don't care for the rooms. Low ceiling, no fans, no lock on bathroom door, TV directly in front of 1 bed but at odd angle from the 2nd.
My wife swore we would never stay at the CR for all of the reasons you mention, but we were "forced" to 1 night for a conference, and now it is her favorite of the 3 monorail resorts. We have even spent a trip at BLT. The ability to walk to MK is definitely part of the love we have for CR/BLT.

epcotisbest

I'd happily stay at All Star Sports rather than all those "luxury" resorts mentioned.
If you stay off property at Disney World, even if it's a 30 room mansion, YOU'RE NOT DOING IT RIGHT.

But I'm always right.
Funny...I say if you did not enjoy your stay at the Ritz, you were not doing it right. Never stayed there...then your opinion can not be right until you try it. We have stayed at many offsite locations that were fantastic...just never realized it was so wrong! Now I know.

epcotisbest

My wife swore we would never stay at the CR for all of the reasons you mention, but we were "forced" to 1 night for a conference, and now it is her favorite of the 3 monorail resorts. We have even spent a trip at BLT. The ability to walk to MK is definitely part of the love we have for CR/BLT.
We truly enjoyed BLT.

disney4life2008

But I'm always right.

You bring up a excellent point. I own a timeshare and have stayed at the Marriott Grande Vista, The Vistas by Sheraton and a few others in Orlando - and in comparison to the luxury resorts on property - they all trump them. I only exclude Contemporary as I would love to stay there eventually. But the timeshares especially those by Marriott I have been treated first class VIP. Not to mention for the price of one night at GF I can get an entire week at my timeshare.

epcotisbest

You bring up a excellent point. I own a timeshare and have stayed at the Marriott Grande Vista, The Vistas by Sheraton and a few others in Orlando - and in comparison to the luxury resorts on property - they all trump them. I only exclude Contemporary as I would love to stay there eventually. But the timeshares especially those by Marriott I have been treated first class VIP. Not to mention for the price of one night at GF I can get an entire week at my timeshare.
Yes...we have stayed at Marriott Grande Vista, Sabal Palms, and Marriott Lakeshore Reserve, Sheraton Vistana and Vistana Villages, both Hilton Grand Vacation Clubs and others as well. Oh, and Wyndham Bonnett Creek, very nice. Also trying to stay at all WDW resorts as well, many down, a few to go.

Last edited:

BigTxEars

Ya'll can keep those 4 stars grand resorts off property! It's all about location location location and on property is where it's at baby!!! :)

epcotisbest

Ya'll can keep those 4 stars grand resorts off property! It's all about location location location and on property is where it's at baby!!! :)
Yeah, that is what I used to think. Still enjoy on property, and am staying onsite in a couple of weeks. But there are other very nice places to stay.

Last edited:

TXDisney

The best way I can put disney resorts is that you are paying for location. I never stayed at a disney resort until these last 2 years. I've now stayed at the grand floridian, port Orleans riverside and the swan and dolphin. We are going back in 2 weeks and we're staying at the boardwalk. My parents have a timeshare and we always stay at orange lakes or some place like that. The convince of being able to be so close to the parks with staying on site is awesome. I do recommend staying at any if these 6 resorts bc of location. Grand floridian, Polynesian, contemporary, yacht and beach club, boardwalk and the swan and dolphin. I say these bc they are within easy access to all the parks minus AK. All these resorts are pricey, but you do have to factor in that u don't need to pay for a rental car or gas for that rental car for your trip, you have to magic hours if you choose to use them, plus I think it adds even more magic to your trip staying at disney, bc you never feel like you leave even when u go to your room. If you have the money I highly recommend staying at disney, but if not then stay somewhere close.

rob0519

Well, I can't disagree with any of your points. A few years ago when the lobby was redone and all Disney artifacts were removed a manager asked me what I thought of the changes. I told him it looked just like any other Hyatt I stay in for business trips.

No locks on the bathroom doors? Do any resorts have those? I never even noticed. The position of the TV can be bit of a challenge, but not that big a deal for us. Anyway, the monorail being an elevator and escalator ride away and the view of the MK are major drawing cards for us.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
To us the Villas are THAT GRAND! lol Stayed in a 2 bedroom Villa at Grand Floridian after they opened last year and me and DH fell In love right away! Pictures do no justice of these rooms! Now granted we are now DVC members as of last year so we did not pay to stay and used points. We bought in before VGF went on sale and wish we would have bought there instead. We absolutely love Kidani Village (had stayed there several times before buying in) but would have bought VGF given the chance first. We probably will buy points there next year just to make sure we will be able to get rooms booked in the future there.
Now as for GF regular rooms we are
Not as impressed(but not bad either) and rather The Boardwalk if we are just staying at a regular Deluxe Resort and not in a Villa. There is just something about The Boardwalk! We stayed in one of the Garden Cottages in 2012 and would definitely stay there again! :)

s&k'smom

We have stayed at the GF the last 3 trips and loved it, me and DD's favorite but like others my husband was very disappointed in the Villa's being built right behind the pool area in his words "he was done" with the GF and wants to try another resort next time. We have been very lucky to be able to stay there as we always used his airline discount (sadly they don't have it anymore) and as much as I love it I have to admit trying another resort is beginning to appeal to me.

psukardi

Going to have to disagree on this one, it's my favorite resort with the Beach Club coming in a close 2nd. Maybe it's because I don't have kids - but I enjoy it very much. Go to Mizers to grab a drink and listen to the music in the lobby. Go to V&A and eat some food without the noise of screaming children. Take the boat back from MK and be back at the room real quick. Lots to love about the resort.

DisneyJunkie

Personally I don't believe it's "grand" at all. Sure, it's relatively large and does have a nice "look" to it, but if you walk around inside it and really look at the materials used.....the quality goes down a few bars. They really went all-out to make it look and feel as posh and ritzy as can be, but it really isn't. I think the Poly, WL, and AKL all are much better quality resorts. As much as I love being close to the MK and love the monorail line there, I couldn't ever see myself wanting to stay at the GF, its style just isn't for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom