What happens when DVC is sold out?

squidward

Original Poster
I was thinking about this earlier. The Polynesian is the last Deluxe Resort to get DVC. What happens after the Poly is sold out? I can't see Disney building another standalone DVC Resort in the immediate future. What happens to all the sales reps, guides and employees who man the booths at Disney?

slappy magoo

There was a rumor elsewhere that DVC will start converting rooms in the "resort" sections of some of the regular Disney resorts to DVC, starting with Wilderness Lodge.

My suspicion is that, at some point, one of the AoA suites will become DVC. It won't be as high of a point value as a 2BR in other DVC resorts, probably more like a 1BR because they only sleep up to 6 (versus 8 or 9) and the resort itself has far fewer amenities. Were that to not happen, I think they're going to float the idea of a "Value" DVC concept, a resort where rooms will be smaller (with perhaps fewer or no suites) with kitchenettes and fewer onsite amenities, but the point values will be much lower than studios anywhere else. It'll still have an over-the-top theme and look fun with a great pool, but it'll only have a food court versus a proper restaurant, simpler lounges with limited drink options, no gym or other things to do like bike/boat rentals. Perhaps not even a Community Hall (unless they're mandatory, as I've never seen a timeshare without one). It will, however, have a but-kicking general store, because there's no way the food court will be able to handle the amount of guests so more people will opt to do more dining in their rooms, even with the limited options of a kitchenette.

It'll be the DVC for park commandos who only want to hit parks until they're too tired to stand, and/or the members who want to extend their vacation a few extra days, and "slumming" it in the smaller rooms before or after a week in one of the Deluxe DVC resorts might add an extra day or two to their trip.

And don't forget, there's always the chance of more out-of-WDW DVC options, like Hilton Head/Aulani/Vero Beach, or options within other Disney parks like DL or DLP. Also, there's still Yacht Club.

Last edited:

Lucky

What happens to all the sales reps, guides and employees who man the booths at Disney?

imagesCA40321D.jpg

BigTxEars

I bet Mickey has something up his sleeve, to much milk left in the DVC cow to stop milling anytime soon :) I think there is a ton of growth left for DVC at WDW. I agree with the above about a more "value" based DVC line. I would buy into POR in a second myself :)

But oh man I can only imagine the hate that will generate on these forums if they do build any "value" DVCs :)

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Well first, no resort is ever "sold out". Disney always has some points as mentioned from defaults and ROFR. You can ask your guide for any DVC resort. You may have to wait a few months, but you will get them. Disney would be stupid not too, since they can snatch up a contract for $70-80 per point, and then resell it at full cost - $130 and above.

There has been talk that Disney is going to do away with the "Value" - "Moderate" - "Deluxe" names and move towards a "MK Resorts" - "EPCOT Resorts" - "DTD Resorts" - etc naming convention. They would then be able to convert some of the current moderate and value rooms to DVC - albeit with a lower point per night total for the rooms. The cost to buy-in will not be any cheaper though since they don't want someone buying in at AoA for $80/point and then never using them there. My feeling is that they would be priced just as much as the lowest current DVC - $130/point. I also think that they would mod the rooms to be more in line with the current room sizes. Probably turn multiple rooms into one DVC room. Maybe convert 3 moderate rooms into 2 DVC rooms would work. If they went a lot lower on the price, then that could really upset a lot of current owners!

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
The cost to buy-in will not be any cheaper though since they don't want someone buying in at AoA for $80/point and then never using them there. My feeling is that they would be priced just as much as the lowest current DVC - $130/point. I also think that they would mod the rooms to be more in line with the current room sizes. Probably turn multiple rooms into one DVC room. Maybe convert 3 moderate rooms into 2 DVC rooms would work. If they went a lot lower on the price, then that could really upset a lot of current owners!
You are absolutely correct, the cost to buy in will be the same, but you can make those points go allot further. This would be huge for people who want quantity vs quality per se.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
You are absolutely correct, the cost to buy in will be the same, but you can make those points go allot further. This would be huge for people who want quantity vs quality per se.
Very good point. It may swing more people who might be on the fence to know that they can stay more nights for fewer points.

Ralphlaw

Yeah, with some villas expiring in 2042, I imagine some sort of "deal" to buy another 40 years or something will go on the market. I know there's legal issues regarding all of that, but I can't imagine a wrecking ball tearing them all down after a few short decades.

And anyway, since when has Disney ever been afraid to layoff workers who just aren't needed anymore?

draybook

If they ever made DVC rooms at POFQ I don't think I'd ever be able to get my wife to try any other resorts........

tjkraz

I can't see Disney building another standalone DVC Resort in the immediate future.

Why not? As others have stated, Disney does have contingency plans to continue expanding their presence at resort hotels. But don't count on there never being another stand-alone resort.

Bay Lake Tower cost about $120 million to build. Gross revenues on selling of the points were probably in the neighborhood of $750 mil - $1 billion. With that sort of ROI, as long as there are buyers, you better believe Disney will keep building somewhere.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I can see at least one more standalone DVC resort to pop up. Maybe even expansion at Saratoga. I'm sure there's plenty of unused space out that way. I also wouldn't count Fort Wilderness out just yet. Plenty of space to build some fancy DVC cabins there too. I'd be surprised to see DVC infiltrating moderate and especially value resorts before Disney has exhausted any and all other options. Too much work to convert existing rooms, too much drama, not enough need. As contracts start to expire, more ROFR pick ups, and more defaulted contracts come along I wouldn't be surprised to see Disney start marketing the catalog of unsold points at the older resorts to new customers. Disney isn't a company that is known for letting a money making opportunity pass by.

LSUmagic

I wouldn't mind seeing another Off-Disney resort. We spent a week at Vero this summer and it was amazing! We cannot wait to go back. Def has a draw for people that want the Disney quality and service but don't want to do the parks or have Disney slammed in their face 24/7

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom