Any recomendations for snorkeling at Nassau of CC?

Rudyard Kipling

Original Poster
My family and I are going on our first cruise in April. It has stops at Castaway Cay and Nassau. One thing I really enjoy doing is snorkeling. I am not a n expert in snorkeling and I don't have a scuba license either. I've done it a handful of times in other parts of the world and I would like to be able to do it on this trip. What are my options? I think both CC has some sort of snorkeling cove. Is it cool? I've also seen that you can snorkel through "the ruins of Atlantis". Has anybody done that? Is there another place on Nassau that has good snorkeling? Is there decent snorkeling right of the beach anywhere? Thanks!

sweetpee_1993

If you snorkel in the snorkel lagoon at Castaway Cay there's interesting things scattered out there to go see. Snorkel equipment rental is for a charge. You can bring your own from home (we purchased our own from a local dive shop) and snorkel in the lagoon for no additional charge. Disney does ask that all snorkeling guests wear the safety vest things. If you bring your own equipment but not the vest you can go to the equipment shack where the rental equipment is, ask for just a vest, and one will be provided to you free of charge. Out in the lagoon you can surface to look for the marker floats. There's little floating markers that are placed where the neat things to see are. Just swim to them. Mickey is out there but he's kinda far out. I think he's one of the furthest. I guess ya gotta work to go see the mouse. LOL! Also, by the sunken boat we've seen a great big grouper a few times. He's a big fella! Enjoy seeing and hopefully touching the old Nautilus sub. That brought tears to my eyes the first time I swam around it.

I've not done any other paid snorkel excursions at CC or Nassau. We were watching a show on TV last night that talked about shark conservation and stuff. They said in the Bahamas all sharks are protected so they're kinda abundant. I would LOVE to find a paid tour that did a shark swim maybe from Nassau. That would be incredible!

Phonedave

My family and I are going on our first cruise in April. It has stops at Castaway Cay and Nassau. One thing I really enjoy doing is snorkeling. I am not a n expert in snorkeling and I don't have a scuba license either. I've done it a handful of times in other parts of the world and I would like to be able to do it on this trip. What are my options? I think both CC has some sort of snorkeling cove. Is it cool? I've also seen that you can snorkel through "the ruins of Atlantis". Has anybody done that? Is there another place on Nassau that has good snorkeling? Is there decent snorkeling right of the beach anywhere? Thanks!

CC has a snorkling area - SweetPee provided a good description. It is free, and you don't book times, you just go when you want. It is snorkling from shore. It is kind of meh. There is not an overabundance of marine life, and if Disney had not put stuff in the water to see, it would be all sand. Speaking of which, as the day goes on, more and more sand is kicked up by the people, so the visibility gets worse and worse.

I have not done any snorkling tours out of CC or Nassau, but I have to think they would be better than the free area at CC.

-dave

sweetpee_1993

Yep, what Dave said. Hubby and I snorkeled out from Serenity Bay a few years back just for something to do. The water stays shallow so it was more walking our hands along the bottom then swimming. It was relaxing. Mostly it was sand and some grass. We saw a few little fishies and some sand dollars. Nothing significant. In similar sand/grass in Mahahual, Mexico my brother found & watched a cute little sea horse. I wouldn't be surprised to find one of those out there. Also, I've heard of barracuda hanging out off Serenity Bay. If you see one, cool! I wouldn't try to pet it or approach it, tho. LOL!

jme

Yep, what Dave said. Hubby and I snorkeled out from Serenity Bay a few years back just for something to do. The water stays shallow so it was more walking our hands along the bottom then swimming. It was relaxing. Mostly it was sand and some grass. We saw a few little fishies and some sand dollars. Nothing significant. In similar sand/grass in Mahahual, Mexico my brother found & watched a cute little sea horse. I wouldn't be surprised to find one of those out there. Also, I've heard of barracuda hanging out off Serenity Bay. If you see one, cool! I wouldn't try to pet it or approach it, tho. LOL!
I've done the snorkel lagoon at the family beach, and saw a barracuda swimming out of the sunken 20k submarine.
Also, while at serenity bay, I swam/walked out to the sandbar and found a large (12" across) red starfish. But other than that, Serenity Bay is pretty scarce on the sea life.

sweetpee_1993

I've done the snorkel lagoon at the family beach, and saw a barracuda swimming out of the sunken 20k submarine.
Also, while at serenity bay, I swam/walked out to the sandbar and found a large (12" across) red starfish. But other than that, Serenity Bay is pretty scarce on the sea life.
Oh wow! I've heard of a barracuda out in the lagoon from time to time. I saw one as long as I am tall out at the Kittiwake shipwreck in Grand Cayman last year. Scared me to death but also incredibly cool!

Phonedave

I have HEARD of barracuda in the snorkling lagoon, but never saw one in three trips. I have never seen anything to write home about while snorkling at CC.

Grand Cayman on the other hand has an abundance of excellent snorkling spots, many of which you can just walk into.

For example

Rum Point

232323232%7Ffp633%3A9%3Enu%3D6898%3E%3A6%3B%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D3355%3C7%3A353348nu0mrj

and

Starfish Point

232323232%7Ffp733%3C3%3Enu%3D6898%3E%3A6%3B%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D3355%3C854%3B%3B348nu0mrj

Under the dock at Morritt's Beach

232323232%7Ffp633%3A5%3Enu%3D6898%3E%3A6%3B%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D3354%3A68634348nu0mrj

sweetpee_1993

@Phonedave, I tried really hard to get Tracey to go off snorkeling on our own in Grand Cayman last time we were there but he wanted to see a shipwreck. ((Not that the Kittiwake is a "wreck" per se considering its there on purpose..LOL!)) Those are some great photos! Love it!

Rudyard Kipling

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses, I'm thinking about booking a short excursion for snorkeling at Nassau. They didn't seem too expensive. I'm also looking forward to snorkeling at CC. I don't have huge expectations. I've been luky enough to snorkel all over Hawaii and I don't think it will get much better than that. However, snorkeling with my 7 year old son at cc will be great.

MaryJaneP

We have snorkeled at CC. Our cruise did not do Nassau. One tip: apply lots to water-resistant sun screen all over your shoulders, neck, back, and legs (back surface). We spent lots of time leisurely floating along while snorkeling at CC and visiting the sunken Mickey, etc. We were plenty sunburned as a result of all that facedown floating. Since you have seen Hawaii, CC will be very very bland for you, but as you say, with your son may be an enjoyable part of your cruise.

wdwstateofmind

I live in Tampa and I'm an avid snorkeler. I've snorkeled in the Nassau area and CC; to be honest, save your money and just snorkel at CC. The expeditions can be good, but it's such a trip to the 'good' sites and doesn't guarantee any phenomenal sights. In general, the Bahamas isn't known for it's snorkeling as is most of the Atlantic. If you're not in the direct Caribbean, the Atlantic does not have many coral reefs. There's coral, just not expansive reefs that you see on TV. If you were in Puerto Rico or Grand Cayman, completely different story. If you don't snorkel a lot, and with kids, it might get old quickly if you aren't that into it. That's what makes CC a good starting point for expeditions or just doing it on your own.

That being said, if you decide to go on an expedition, you will see fish and probably rays, which can be cool if you aren't used to that kind of marine life, it's just not the reefs you imagine. But at CC you'll still be pulling up 12" starfish and dish-sized silver dollars too. Also buy your own gear and bring it with you. A snorkel set doesn't weigh much and you'll pay as much for the rentals as you will a better set online (and you get to use that one in the future for free!).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom