Disneyland's 60th Birthday: Rumors, Speculation and News

Crazydisneyfanluke

Umm well, from what he tells me in regards to the fireworks:

"120 new lighting fixtures, 8 new projectors, 26 new launch positions, 12 new special effects which I can't talk about"

and in regards to Paint the Night:

"Two sets were made, ours with additional units. Also we are converting old jubilation units into new nighttime units for DL. Those have been here for the last 3 weeks to begin the conversion"
8 projectors?!? For IASW or the castle?

Nland316

"120 new lighting fixtures, 8 new projectors, 26 new launch positions, 12 new special effects which I can't talk about"

"Two sets were made, ours with additional units. Also we are converting old jubilation units into new nighttime units for DL. Those have been here for the last 3 weeks to begin the conversion"
Wow is every resort getting a piece from Jubilation? Lol.. Which units are they bringing from Jubilation?
What extra units were made for our PTN clone?

Disney Analyst

8 projectors?!? For IASW or the castle?

Castle I believe. I asked if it was projection mapping like MK or DLRP. He says it's semi-mapping. So nothing quite like that. I figure basically upgrades from what RDCT uses. and more added. I'm think all the new light fixtures means replacing all the castle lights, the spot lights, and adding spot lights to the mainstreet area.

As well, Magical should be retired after it finishes it's run. And RDCT will be retiring also. Perhaps Magical may come back, but the current plan is to run the new show until Christmas, then do Believe. But obviously they may pull a RDCT and run the new show over Christmas as well.

RMichael21

Unfortunately, my first and (last for a while) trip was in July, so I saw Magical and not RDCT. Magical was so-so compared to Wishes at WDW. The only part of Magical that I liked better was the zany Tinker Bell flight path and of course... Dumbo.

JediMasterMatt

Just got back from a week at the superior US DisneyParks resort and have to say what fine shape the resort is already in and makes me excited to see what next year's milestone will yield. Since my last visit at the end of February, the following changes were all new to us:

- The BTMMR refurb is everything I could've hoped for an more. The ride tracks beautifully now and is even faster as all the energy isn't getting scrubbed off do the excessive slop the track was causing. The new effects in the last lift are wonderful and make for a much improved finale.

- The Mermaid refurb accomplishes a great deal to improving many of the complaints I had with the attraction. The Under the Sea sequence no longer feels like a trip through a Costco warehouse. I'm hopeful that the next time the ride goes down, the ending will get some attention and lift the overall attraction experience even more. As of now, it is safe to say it is a "good ride" without reservations.

- Alice... oh my, oh my. Take a great ride, strip away all the stupid California safety plywood and let the Imagineers have a bit of funding and you take a great attraction and elevate it to even greater status. What was always in my opinion and underappreciated gem of Fantasyland is now shined up with enough new attention and special effects that it can stand above the crowd. The only negative I can say about Alice is that the queue and surrounding area can no longer accommodate the crowds and this make for a bad bottleneck. I'm sure when the rest of Fantasyland's rides get their refurbs and upgrades, things will balance back out. I can't wait to see what the rest of the refurbs will yield. I'm going to go out on a limb to say that if Toad gets what I've been told in the form of projection mapping - then it will be the ride that makes the biggest jump in show quality. Projection mapping with the 2D nature of the ride should be fantastic.

In addition to the items above, there were a few new additions or plusses that caught my eye.

- A complete surprise to me was the return of the Croc to Fantasmic!. He had been MIA for us over the course of the last three years worth of trips and has now returned to chasing the Columbia... er, Jolly Roger. Considering I hadn't heard a peep from anyone about him being back in the show, I was pleasantly surprised.

- Magical has also gotten some upgrades since last summer. New strobes on the castle's 2nd story railing and many new types of pyro from the northern launch location. In what would be a shocking development in Orlando regarding fireworks, the new pyro actually ADDS color to the show and not subtracts it (poor Illuminations). Of particular note were some interesting spherical bursts that radiate color into separate hemispheres. Very nice additions.

All in all, it was a great trip and as has become the norm recently, DLR has reaffirmed my belief that when properly motivated - DisneyParks can still function at the high standard we have come to expect out of them. Even the resorts "Yeti", the tipping tractors on Racers, were working on most every trip around the circuit over the course of the week. One day, you would see one of the tractors not working; but, it would be back up and running the next day.

To mix my metahpors a bit, the lagoon for the subs was being refilled during our visit; but, I think it's safe to say to anyone that has thinking about taking a trip to DLR - come on in, the water is just fine.

GiveMeTheMusic

- Magical has also gotten some upgrades since last summer. New strobes on the castle's 2nd story railing and many new types of pyro from the northern launch location. In what would be a shocking development in Orlando regarding fireworks, the new pyro actually ADDS color to the show and not subtracts it (poor Illuminations). Of particular note were some interesting spherical bursts that radiate color into separate hemispheres. Very nice additions.

I noticed those new shells as well! The radiating color ones are breathtaking - can't wait to see the new show next year.

RMichael21

Just got back from a week at the superior US DisneyParks resort and have to say what fine shape the resort is already in and makes me excited to see what next year's milestone will yield. Since my last visit at the end of February, the following changes were all new to us:

- The BTMMR refurb is everything I could've hoped for an more. The ride tracks beautifully now and is even faster as all the energy isn't getting scrubbed off do the excessive slop the track was causing. The new effects in the last lift are wonderful and make for a much improved finale.

- The Mermaid refurb accomplishes a great deal to improving many of the complaints I had with the attraction. The Under the Sea sequence no longer feels like a trip through a Costco warehouse. I'm hopeful that the next time the ride goes down, the ending will get some attention and lift the overall attraction experience even more. As of now, it is safe to say it is a "good ride" without reservations.

- Alice... oh my, oh my. Take a great ride, strip away all the stupid California safety plywood and let the Imagineers have a bit of funding and you take a great attraction and elevate it to even greater status. What was always in my opinion and underappreciated gem of Fantasyland is now shined up with enough new attention and special effects that it can stand above the crowd. The only negative I can say about Alice is that the queue and surrounding area can no longer accommodate the crowds and this make for a bad bottleneck. I'm sure when the rest of Fantasyland's rides get their refurbs and upgrades, things will balance back out. I can't wait to see what the rest of the refurbs will yield. I'm going to go out on a limb to say that if Toad gets what I've been told in the form of projection mapping - then it will be the ride that makes the biggest jump in show quality. Projection mapping with the 2D nature of the ride should be fantastic.

In addition to the items above, there were a few new additions or plusses that caught my eye.

- A complete surprise to me was the return of the Croc to Fantasmic!. He had been MIA for us over the course of the last three years worth of trips and has now returned to chasing the Columbia... er, Jolly Roger. Considering I hadn't heard a peep from anyone about him being back in the show, I was pleasantly surprised.

All in all, it was a great trip and as has become the norm recently, DLR has reaffirmed my belief that when properly motivated - DisneyParks can still function at the high standard we have come to expect out of them. Even the resorts "Yeti", the tipping tractors on Racers, were working on most every trip around the circuit over the course of the week. One day, you would see one of the tractors not working; but, it would be back up and running the next day.

To mix my metahpors a bit, the lagoon for the subs was being refilled during our visit; but, I think it's safe to say to anyone that has thinking about taking a trip to DLR - come on in, the water is just fine.
Actually, the croc came back in mid july. I watched 2 showing on different days and the croc was there on the 11th and not on the 7th.

JediMasterMatt

The crocodile has been back for a while now, actually. It's Flotsam and Jetsam that are still gone.

Yeah, I haven't seen the jet skis in years.

The Croc has been missing for each of our visits over the last three years (last week before Labor Day and the last week of February this year) until my trip last week.

Jose

Sin_t_tulo.png

jrh1985

I'm guessing you got that HKDL's new PTN page on their official site? I saw that too earlier this morning. It previewed PTN and Halloween along with fireworks. It didn't mention Disney In The Stars so is that staying or changing? Will there be any pyro in PTN from the Castle or MS?

jrh1985

As in Pyro Launch Locations?? If I'm understanding that right, that has to be more than MK's Peritmer Locations right? Where will they put them all?

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
As in Pyro Launch Locations?? If I'm understanding that right, that has to be more than MK's Peritmer Locations right? Where will they put them all?
Or are they moving many launch positions from where they are now? So they will be "new" not all additional. If Star wars goes in Toontown then they will need new launch areas so they can have that space open for the crowds.

deix15x8

Some of the additional locations may also not be for fireworks but smaller pyro. Do they currently use any of those launchers that just shoot a giant flame in the air? I believe Paris and some of the other non US parks use them.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Some of the additional locations may also not be for fireworks but smaller pyro. Do they currently use any of those launchers that just shoot a giant flame in the air? I believe Paris and some of the other non US parks use them.

They do they have quite a few since the 50th

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom