Is the Grand Floridian really that Grand?

jlsHouston

Original Poster
I know this is purely subjective but, no after 7 days and 6 night on property I have to say it is not so grand....
In fact things I had never noticed about the Grand stopping by just visiting the resort suddenly became glaringly obvious when I was an onsite guest.
The lobby is always loud and crowded. I've sat in alot of lobbies at different times of the day and evening. This is one of the noisier and busier ones. Nothing relaxing about it.
The turn down service is neat. And the oversize tubs are quite nice. But that is it on the rooms being any more comfortable or luxurious than say BW/YC/BC.
Not impressed by the Gasparillas as a QS any more, they eliminated the nightly pasta.
Pools way more crowded now with Villas.
In fact restaurants way more crowded since Villas completed.
I have never felt so ignored upon my arrival to check in as I did at GF.

I was worried I would never want to stay at another deluxe except the GF once I had tried it but no worries, I'll take POLY (hopefully after rehab/refub it's better not worse) for a monorail resort, or give me WL or AK or and Epcot resort any day and I am quite content.

epcotisbest

I know this is purely subjective but, no after 7 days and 6 night on property I have to say it is not so grand....
In fact things I had never noticed about the Grand stopping by just visiting the resort suddenly became glaringly obvious when I was an onsite guest.
The lobby is always loud and crowded. I've sat in alot of lobbies at different times of the day and evening. This is one of the noisier and busier ones. Nothing relaxing about it.
The turn down service is neat. And the oversize tubs are quite nice. But that is it on the rooms being any more comfortable or luxurious than say BW/YC/BC.
Not impressed by the Gasparillas as a QS any more, they eliminated the nightly pasta.
Pools way more crowded now with Villas.
In fact restaurants way more crowded since Villas completed.
I have never felt so ignored upon my arrival to check in as I did at GF.

I was worried I would never want to stay at another deluxe except the GF once I had tried it but no worries, I'll take POLY (hopefully after rehab/refub it's better not worse) for a monorail resort, or give me WL or AK or and Epcot resort any day and I am quite content.
The grandest thing about GF is the price. Yes, it is nice, but there are many true luxury resorts in the Orlando area that are much nicer and more affordable. We stayed at the Ritz Carlton Grande Lakes in May and at about one third the price it was much nicer. We have also stayed at the Peabody (now Hyatt), Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress, Omni, several Marriotts and Hilton's that are more grand. Still, we like Disney resorts and are headed to AKV soon.

jlsHouston

Original Poster
Yah..I confess, maybe I just had too much hype in my mind about it...like it was really going to stand out against all the other deluxes and just be so awesome I would never want to stay anyplace but there...confession: I had to take a ride over to the WL to hear "welcome home" ....chilling in Territory Lounge was one of my most relaxing moments on the trip. We did move to a DtD resort for the last night on property since we were leaving out so early to make the drive back and out last day was mainly DtD activities... and I won't never ever do that again...pretty disappointed in the Hilton..

epcotisbest

Yah..I confess, maybe I just had too much hype in my mind about it...like it was really going to stand out against all the other deluxes and just be so awesome I would never want to stay anyplace but there...confession: I had to take a ride over to the WL to hear "welcome home" ....chilling in Territory Lounge was one of my most relaxing moments on the trip. We did move to a DtD resort for the last night on property since we were leaving out so early to make the drive back and out last day was mainly DtD activities... and I won't never ever do that again...pretty disappointed in the Hilton..
We like WL a lot. Love the Hidden Springs pool at the villas. That spot is one of my favorite places.

DisneyDaver

I like the GF the best of the deluxes, but I agree that it is not so grand. It's certainly no Four Seasons. I suppose it depends on your expectations. I particularly like the number of table service options at the GF.

zurgandfriend

Well it's not a Ritz-Charlton, it's grand but not that grand. It has a nice pool and some very good restaurants The location is a big factor but I do wish I could walk to the Magic Kingdom from there. Personally I prefer the Contemporary or the Wilderness Lodge but that's just me.

DisneyDebNJ

I know there are many members who love the Grand Floridian as much as I love the Poly, but in my very honest opinion, I stayed there in 2007 (only because the Poly had no availability) and I didnt care for it at all. Not that its not a beautiful resort, but I found it to be *stuffy*, like I was doing them a favor by being there.. We love some of the restaurants there but as far as *staying* at GF? I feel there are SO many other wonderful options, we won't be back.

epcotisbest

I know there are many members who love the Grand Floridian as much as I love the Poly, but in my very honest opinion, I stayed there in 2007 (only because the Poly had no availability) and I didnt care for it at all. Not that its not a beautiful resort, but I found it to be *stuffy*, like I was doing them a favor by being there.. We love some of the restaurants there but as far as *staying* at GF? I feel there are SO many other wonderful options, we won't be back.
Yeah, for us it was kind of a one and done kinda thing. It was nice, but we just did not seem to have as much "fun" there. Now, we will give the villas a try sometime, but that is only because we hope to someday have tried them all. We stay at some nice offsite places as well. Maybe we go too often...nah.

epcotisbest

So Deb, how are you feeling about all the changes going on at the Poly?

jlsHouston

Original Poster
Yeah, for us it was kind of a one and done kinda thing. It was nice, but we just did not seem to have as much "fun" there. Now, we will give the villas a try sometime, but that is only because we hope to someday have tried them all. We stay at some nice offsite places as well. Maybe we go too often...nah.

I think this is kind of what the Grand was for me. One and done. I'm glad I tried it. Not sure I would even use another steep discount code to stay there again. My boyfriend really preferred YC, which is where we spent our first 3 nights on property.

jlsHouston

Original Poster

I agree of the 3 monorail resorts, POLY is still my favorite and my daughter's too. And I think I favor the EPCOT resorts the most....

DisneyDebNJ

I agree of the 3 monorail resorts, POLY is still my favorite and my daughter's too. And I think I favor the EPCOT resorts the most....
You would think that going to Disney for Food and Wine I would stay at one of the Epcot resorts. I always say *next year, maybe we should check out YC* and what do I do? Stay at the Poly... old habits die hard I guess

jlsHouston

Original Poster
You would think that going to Disney for Food and Wine I would stay at one of the Epcot resorts. I always say *next year, maybe we should check out YC* and what do I do? Stay at the Poly... old habits die hard I guess

Hey, I paid rack room rates to stay at the POLY one year at Thanksgiving....even before a facelift. While I can't say it's my absolute favorite resort...because I am not sure I have one yet, it definitely holds its own unique spot in my heart.

DisneyDebNJ

Hey, I paid rack room rates to stay at the POLY one year at Thanksgiving....even before a facelift. While I can't say it's my absolute favorite resort...because I am not sure I have one yet, it definitely holds its own unique spot in my heart.
Same here, my son practically grew up there, and then I got engaged on the Poly beach (ate at Capt. Cook's afterwards LOL .... wow are we romantic or what?!?! LOL) I know she's in shambles right now, but the Poly is still *home* to me, gotta show the love :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom