EPCOT Entertainment cuts

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Can you please post with some respect to other users. Some of the language and behavior from some of you who have been here for a long time and should know far better is appalling.

Warning are being issued, and warning points are cumulative, which means that ultimately you will lose the ability to post. Please take them seriously.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Comcast stockholders aren't exactly weeping over their theme park profits either, and look what they have to show for it compared to what WDW does.
Comcast's stock price also stagnated from 2005 to late 2011, and has gone up about 2.5 times since then. To owners of a business, that extra increase in value of another 50% of what you started with is kind of a big deal.

Iger is CEO of the company, not just the theme parks. You want a theme park play, Six Flags or Cedar Fair.

NMBC1993

If we want Disney quality of old, we have to go to Disneyland, DCL, Tokyo Disney or Universal Orlando

And that is why I'm working very hard, trying to save up for a sail date this November on The Dream. Is it selfish to want two cruises in one year?:cautious: Here's hoping for another Disneyland trip within the next 5 years and Tokyo is on my bucket list, I'm brushing up on my Japanese in the meantime. Finally, Universal APs coming this Christmas, the family can't wait for Diagon Alley:)

But seriously, what does it say when a local is dreaming of their vacations to other destinations to make up for the lack of "Disney quality" that has faded from WDW?

I'm not saying their doing a completely horrible job, but sometimes I just want to grab the figurative "WDW" and shake it because I know they can try so much harder if they put their mind (or money) to it.

Last edited:

BrerJon

I'm not saying their doing a completely horrible job, but sometimes I just want to grab the figurative "WDW" and shake it because I know they can try so much harder if they put their mind (or money) to it.

That's the big point, isn't it. If Disney had always been like this it wouldn't be a big deal, but the memories many people have of how WDW used to be, and the real, living proof of how good Disney can be in other parks across the world, is what makes Disney fans feel so helpless about the neverending downward transformation of WDW.

Just watch old YouTube videos of MK in the 70s or EPCOT Center in the 80s... the parks just look incredible compared to now.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Everybody is upset about a Maelstrom "Frozen" overlay because it doesn't relate to the country very well. Yet everybody's still getting upset to replace these entertainment options with more traditional entertainment?? Confusion..

I agree with the other post. These people have been here for many years. While may have grown some fans... It's the same thing each time really. Same performance. Gets pretty stale.

I'm up for a change!

NMBC1993

That's the big point, isn't it. If Disney had always been like this it wouldn't be a big deal, but the memories many people have of how WDW used to be, and the real, living proof of how good Disney can be in other parks across the world, is what makes Disney fans feel so helpless about the neverending downward transformation of WDW.

Just watch old YouTube videos of MK in the 70s or EPCOT Center in the 80s... the parks just look incredible compared to now.

I agree 100%! If WDW had always been this way, there would not be as much Hoopla (wait for it...) on these message boards. The problem is those of us who grew up on trips to Disney World, or shared multiple vacations with family members have noticed the decline for a while and are now starting to look at other venues for their
vacation fix. There's just a few people left who care about the "Disney Vision", the rest are just working at another business...

Someone brought something interesting to my attention the other day. A lot of the older folks remember Walt Disney on television and seeing him at Disneyland helping guests, interactive with his investment. That memory is what drives guests to WDW and the other vacation destinations operated by the mouse....

What happens when no one really remembers what Walt Disney did for his theme park? Sure, he's that "old guy who drew that mouse and made a theme park", but what does it MEAN to them?

Maybe that Disney nostalgia wont be as reliable in the future?

aladdin2007

Everybody is upset about a Maelstrom "Frozen" overlay because it doesn't relate to the country very well. Yet everybody's still getting upset to replace these entertainment options with more traditional entertainment?? Confusion..

I agree with the other post. These people have been here for many years. While may have grown some fans... It's the same thing each time really. Same performance. Gets pretty stale.

I'm up for a change!

Because its cutting yet more details that use to be themed and special such as the fife and drum at the American Adventure, further doing away with traditonal Americana and patriotism. Im all for new things but this seems like more detail cutting and walmarting thanks to the nextgen mess.
Disney has been too vague with details on the so called replacements or lack thereof they cant even say when these things are starting. A flag troupe in Italy color me not impressed by the title but will have to wait and see, bring back the ziti sisters. The celtic music group I can get behind though as something new, could be good, but details and timing are vastly lacking on all this. Bring back the Norwegian folk trio in Norway, the UK stilt walkers, the living statues in France...to name a few. Anyone remember the classical new age pop group Nova Era in Italy?

dumboflyer

HOOPLA.jpg

Fractal514

Because its cutting yet more details that use to be themed and special such as the fife and drum at the American Adventure, further doing away with traditonal Americana and patriotism. Im all for new things but this seems like more detail cutting and walmarting thanks to the nextgen mess.
Disney has been too vague with details on the so called replacements or lack thereof they cant even say when these things are starting. A flag troupe in Italy color me not impressed by the title but will have to wait and see, bring back the ziti sisters. The celtic music group I can get behind though as something new, could be good, but details and timing are vastly lacking on all this. Bring back the Norwegian folk trio in Norway, the UK stilt walkers, the living statues in France...to name a few. Anyone remember the classical new age pop group Nova Era in Italy?

I think a lot of this has to do with personal preference. I do agree that Disney needs to get out ahead of the story and share details on the new offerings and why we should be excited for them.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
While I agree about some of the previously cut acts, I just don't yet get, based on the one sentence we got, how this is "Walmarting" at all. 2 of the shows were Americanized bands (look Celtic Rock and Morrocan Rock!). They are being replaced with what on appearance looks like entertainment more traditional to the host country. That's anti-Walmarting in my opinion.
I'm also willing to give the flags a chance after surfing the interwebz yesterday to find out if this was traditional to Italy, which I've seen reference to it going back to the Middle Ages. I'll wait and see if it's something like this:
lanceurs_de_drapeaux_03.jpg

Or more like this:
genie-waving-flags-o_zpsaa5b8a2e.gif

WondersOfLife

I understand what your saying.

I think Disney should've kept the current entertainment, and just added onto what they already have with their ideas coming up! I mean, that would seem pretty smart.

CDavid

I'm up for a change!

You realize the show from your avatar, Cranium Command, was literally the exact same show every time, down to the second, and varied even less than live entertainment performing the same show every day. As does the Carousel of Progress, where aside from a few tweaks and updates I wouldn't want to see wholesale changes. I don't think we can conclude at this point the new entertainment will be any more traditional or authentic, but again, I doubt anyone has a problem with Disney introducing new entertainment at Epcot; The problem is the cuts to existing acts.

Fractal514

You realize the show from your avatar, Cranium Command, was literally the exact same show every time, down to the second, and varied even less than live entertainment performing the same show every day. As does the Carousel of Progress, where aside from a few tweaks and updates I wouldn't want to see wholesale changes. I don't think we can conclude at this point the new entertainment will be any more traditional or authentic, but again, I doubt anyone has a problem with Disney introducing new entertainment at Epcot; The problem is the cuts to existing acts.

I think that one could argue that an attraction is very different from live entertainment. Attractions are consistent year after year and serve as the primary attractant for the park. Performances and entertainments such as the ones being discussed are less permanent and more of a pleasant surprise for the park visitor, rather than a primary reason for visiting. In this light, I think it makes sense that these should be changed out far more often than attractions. Just my $0.02.

WondersOfLife

You are right, my friend! But honestly, it's not particularly the same concept. They're interesting to look at, and you might catch some different details here and there. Where as with this particular entertainment.... It's mainly just, well. A rock band. With the only difference being the men wearing kilts and there's a bag pipe. Otherwise, it's something I can hear down the street at music on mill.

I'm not bashing the entertainment. I happened to like them too. I'm going with my second post in saying that they should have just added on to the entertainment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom