AK Wildlife Express Train?

MickeyMedic_P77

Original Poster
OK, Not sure how I've never heard of this attraction before, but I am wondering, is it a decent attraction or just a means to get to Rafiki's Planet Watch? What's the animal viewing situation say vs, the Safari?

Tom 55

You can get a lot closer to the animals. They have a place to pet goats. Inside there is a lot of info on animal care.

Attachments

• 05-14-2008_042.JPG
    05-14-2008_042.JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 05-14-2008_047.JPG
    05-14-2008_047.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 33

dreamfinder

The train itself is really just how to get to Rafiki's Planet Watch. It's a nice train, in and of itself is well themed, but all you see is some backstage areas heading out. On the back trip you see their poor attempt to hide the parking lot behind a few huts on stilts. I wouldn't pass up Planet Watch and the chance to see vet work being some and visiting the petting zoo, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if I could walk there instead of the train.

DisneyDaver

OK, Not sure how I've never heard of this attraction before, but I am wondering, is it a decent attraction or just a means to get to Rafiki's Planet Watch? What's the animal viewing situation say vs, the Safari?

I've been on it once and would only go again if I were with young kids. It's a nice ride, but nothing much to see. I do think kids would like both the train ride and Planet Watch.

disney4life2008

I have done it once and will never do it again. If I recall - the train sits stage side (open on one side) and its hot - very hot (well in summer). And where it goes to is not fun. But for kids it may be very fun.

PhilharMagician

Inside Rafiki's Planet Watch is great specially for the kids. Early in the mornings they do live animal examinations. It could be a cheetah having surgery, a gorilla getting it's annual health exam of a bird having a broken wing repaired. You never know what will happen until that day and the exams are typically over by 12:00 noon. Also on the main floor they may have CM's with rabbits, turtles or many other animals. This is good interactive time for kids. They have sound boots which are dark and you sit in as a soundtrack of a sound of the rainforest play.

Outside is a petting zoo along with a animal stage show where CM's introduce kids to animals and talk about them.

If you are looking for rides and nothing more than rides than this may not be the place for you. There is a lot to do if you go in with a mindset to observe and learn. I see many people getting back on the train to head back to Harambe complaining that they wasted time and there was nothing in Rafiki's Planet Watch.

You can also just take a train ride an see for yourself.

bethymouse

It's a neat ride facing front- a different sort of seating. The "Planet Watch" itself isn't really much, but you do get an air conditioned area and you can meet n greet Rafiki.:) There are also some animal presentations such as a snake. A "show" of animals is outside as well as "grooming" the goats ( no feeding goats though). Worth doing at least once if not as a "break" in your day.;)

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
You also get to see if they are performing procedures in the animal hospital live. They have a schedule at the front of the park if you ask letting you know what times procedures will be performed and on which animals etc. It is really cool and like others noted it is a air conditioned inside Rafiki's planet itself. Me anD DH go every trip now. Like others have said there also is the petting zoo and the train ride is a nice relaxing break. :)

belledream

We enjoy the train. It's nice and relaxing. Pretty comfy and never a lot of people around you. Rafiki's Planet Watch itself has some interesting little exhibits - we like the dark sound room. :p

Phonedave

The train is OK, but the planet watch is much more than a petting zoo. I have found the people there are very into what they do for a living (vets, etc) and are more than happy to talk to you about any questions you have.

Back when my eldest daughter wanted to be a vet (like most kids do at one point in their life) she was glued to the window watching the vet procedures. She asked question after question and watched the entire procedure. Afterwards, the vet asked her if she would like to see the area in more detail. We got a mini-tour of the backstage operating theater area. The vet took a lot of time out of her day to show us around and explain a lot of the procedures. Particularly interesting was a lot of the "scratch built" equipment they used. For example, companies make specific devices for intubating cats and dogs, but when it comes to exotics, there is really no place to go. They made a lot of their own surgical equipment.

-dave

Scooter

My wife and I do Rafiki's Planet Watch without kids every trip. The train ride is short, but relaxing. There is a castmember on the back of the train giving out information but I can rarely hear what he is saying. Inside the pavillian there is some informative displays about animals and if there is animal surgery going on when you're there you get to watch it but that gets crowded. If you enjoy petting goats and other small animals and like snakes, bugs and distinctive barnyard smells, then this is the place for you.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
It's a neat ride facing front- a different sort of seating. The "Planet Watch" itself isn't really much, but you do get an air conditioned area and you can meet n greet Rafiki.:) There are also some animal presentations such as a snake. A "show" of animals is outside as well as "grooming" the goats ( no feeding goats though). Worth doing at least once if not as a "break" in your day.;)

I also enjoy the wider, almost panoramic view, that you get in this creative seating configuration, designed for the Wildlife Express Train. I've always thought this was a clever idea, and I'm not sure if I've ever seen this anywhere else.

My experiences with the train and Rafiki's Planet Watch have been both positive and relaxing. I usually head over to this attraction after I've been on Expedition Everest and Kilimanjaro Safaris. I also think this area provides a nice respite from some of the noisier sections of the park. :happy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom