25th Wedding Anniversary....What Cruise????

Soarin Fan

Original Poster
Okay, let me start off by saying I would love, love, love to go to Europe for our 25th next April...the airfare is a killer! So here are the other options.
1. Disney Wonder to Cozumel staying in Concierge (been to Cozumel before on the Wonder).
2. NCL going to Hawaii.
3. Celebrity going to Columbia, Belize and Panama.
4. Holland or Princess (can't remember which) going to Cabo San Lucas and Puerto Vallerta.

DH and I love cruising but we have only sailed on Disney cruises. The kicker in planning is we want to be somewhere on our actual anniversary so that limits us tremendously. What do you think of the options? I am open to any other suggestions.

fltink

Well, I think based on where you're posting this, you aren't going to be shocked by my answer.... DISNEY ALL THE WAY!!!!!! They make EVERY occasion special! You'll be thrilled.

Bolna

I would say it really depends on what you want to get out of your cruise: Go to places that are new to you or are you more cruising for the ship?

I have only been on two cruises so far, both with Disney. But I want to experience other cruise lines in the future as well.

From everything I have read about NCL in Hawaii (I guess you are thinking about the Pride of America?), this is more the convenience of having a floating hotel taking you around the islands and less of a cruise experience. You won't spend a lot of time on the ship. Personally, I would prefer to do a land based vacation in Hawaii (including a stop at Aulani, I am a Disney geek after all!).

On my Panama Canal cruise we stopped in Cozumel, Cartagena (Columbia), Cabo and Puerto Vallarta, so I am only missing Belize of which I have heard good things. I enjoyed all the ports, but just looking at port options I would choose the Cabo and Puerto Vallarta cruise. I was surprised how beautiful it was there (kind of dry mountains in front of deep blue sea). I would love to go back there and have more time to explore! We snorkelled in Cabo and it was wonderful. My only other snorkelling comparison was Cozumel and I thought Cabo was much nicer. The water was cooler, but it was very clear, lots of colourful fish. Many people on the ship commented on how they thought that Cabo was excellent for snorkelling. I think in April you still have a decent chance to see whales there as well. We still saw some at the end of May on our last sea day.

ChuckElias

Okay, let me start off by saying I would love, love, love to go to Europe for our 25th next April...the airfare is a killer! So here are the other options.
1. Disney Wonder to Cozumel staying in Concierge (been to Cozumel before on the Wonder).
2. NCL going to Hawaii.
3. Celebrity going to Columbia, Belize and Panama.
4. Holland or Princess (can't remember which) going to Cabo San Lucas and Puerto Vallerta.
Bolna is on the money by saying that part of your choice will depend on whether you want to experience the ship or the destination. My wife and I sailed on Princess from San Francisco to Hawaii just last October for our 25th anniversary. (I really should write up a trip report. . .) It was 14 nights, and fully 9 of those were at sea. We got to know the ship VERY well! None of your options listed above will have quite that much time at sea, but it's still a consideration.

Here are my thoughts, for what they're worth. I would cross #4 off the list, personally. Having been to Cabo and Puerto Vallerta (with DCL), that itinerary is the least desirable of your choices. Cabo was nice, but Puerta Vallerta was just. . . feh. For me, personally, I would only do this if everything else were cost-prohibitive.

As much as I love DCL and the Wonder, if it's my big anniversary, I want to do something that I've never done before. Concierge is cool (well, so I've heard), but again for me, personally, Cozumel just isn't interesting enough for a "big" occasion and I would choose one of the other options.

So that leaves us with Hawaii or Belize/Panama. I've never done the Belize/Panama itinerary. But it does sound very cool and I've only heard wonderful things about both destinations. So for me, personally, this is my choice. Looks like your ship would be the Celebrity Infinity. The staterooms aren't huge (balcony staterooms are 170 sq. ft, plus the balcony) but it was refurbished just 3 years ago, so it's probably in great condition (unlike the Princess ship I took to Hawaii). If I'm looking at the right info, the Mexican Riviera ports that you would get with option #4 are still available to you with this sailing. This is what I would go for.

If, however, you decide that your preference is for Hawaii, I highly recommend it. My wife and I loved our ports. My wife chose the option of leaving from the mainland and having a lot of sea days. I enjoyed it, as well, but if I were to do it again, I would absolutely fly to Hawaii and stay at a resort for 2-3 days before my cruise on the Pride of America and then for 2-3 days after the cruise. The Pride of America isn't the newest or coolest ship, but it is a very family atmosphere. Its All-American theming may seem hokey to some, but it has its charm. But the real benefit of the Pride of America is that you're in a Hawaiian port every day of your cruise. (In fact, there are two nights where you stay in port. So if you're night owls, you can stay out until 2 or 3 am. OR you can take a shore excursion at 3 am to see the sunrise in the crater of a dormant volcano!!)

Hope that's helpful!

Soarin Fan

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies they were helpful. We want to see new things but also have a couple of sea days(basically want best of both worlds). We have it down to Cabo and Celebrity it just depends on vacation time I have left next year. Since the Celebrity cruise is longer if we chose the Cabo cruise we will take a Disney Alaska cruise in the summer.

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
I agree with Chuck with the choices but personally I would go with the Celebrity cruise. While it is not Disney and we all love DCL, Celebrity is up there with being one of the best. I would also factor in the cost of airfare on the cruises. While the Celebrity cruise looks wonderful the airfare may not be so wonderful which will put you at the Cabo cruise. I think that by your reply that you may be leaning toward Cabo with the Alaska cruise next summer. Whichever you choose you will have a fantastic time and Congratulations on your upcoming 25th Anniversary!!! I can't think of a better way to celebrate than with a cruise!

Pam

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom