A few random dumb-a$$ questions

Dads 2 Boys

Leaving in 35 days.......me, my wife, two kids, best friend and his gf

1) Do they still do the glow with the show ears? My wife got them on her trip in November and wanted to know if she should pack them.

2) What is the deal with getting a purple magic band? Are they even available to purchase? I've seen so much back and forth over it but never a definitive answer? The wife wants one.

3) Does anyone know if they have black magic bands?

4) We've looked into shipping water from various sites to our resort but there seems to either be a high minimum purchase or extravagant shipping costs. We only need water. We have a small suitcase that I have, 2-3 at a time in Ziploc baggies, packed with water and beach towels. Anyone think this will be a problem on the airplane? I can't seem to find anything on any of Southwest's FAQs. It only weighs 30 lbs so I'm good there.

5) To people who have been there in the past couple of months. Is the spot by the Plaza to see Wishes still have the visibility to see or is it blocked off by the construction walls?

6) Are ice packs available at the first aid stations? Looking for ones that if needed, I can take with me. I have a small tear in my quad tendon and medial meniscus (both in my right knee). I am putting off surgery til after the trip as I will not be recovered in enough time to be comfortably walking that much for 8 days. It's going to be hard enough as it is. Ice and Advil will be my best friends.....lol

Tuvalu

Premium Member
1. Yes, glow with the show ears are still available and hers will still work.
2. There are no purple MagicBands.
3. There are no black MagicBands.
4. These items should be ok in your suitcase. A water tip I have found helpful: refill your water bottles at the fountain machine at your resort. There is no charge for the water and it is filtered so it tastes okay.
5. The construction walls are still up by the Plaza and obscure the view. They will be up for a while longer.
6. I cannot confirm about the ice packs, but I would assume first aid has ice packs.

Enjoy your vacation!

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Leaving in 35 days.......me, my wife, two kids, best friend and his gf

4) We've looked into shipping water from various sites to our resort but there seems to either be a high minimum purchase or extravagant shipping costs. We only need water. We have a small suitcase that I have, 2-3 at a time in Ziploc baggies, packed with water and beach towels. Anyone think this will be a problem on the airplane? I can't seem to find anything on any of Southwest's FAQs. It only weighs 30 lbs so I'm good there. l

I'm not sure I understand this part of the post correctly, but if you have water packed in a suitcase, note that you're going to have to check it as opposed to using it as a carryon, due to the TSA 3 oz. container/1 quart baggie limits for liquids and gels in carryons. If you want water to drink while on the plane, you'll have to fill an empty bottle (or buy a bottle of water) after passing through security.

Still, there's really no need to pack water for your trip. All WDW counter service restaurants, at the resorts and in the parks, will give free cups of iced water to anyone on request, and there are drinking fountains and sinks all over the place. If you don't like the taste of Florida tap water, you can bring your own water bottle with a built-in filter to pour it through. Water is heavy and if your baggage is handled roughly (and it will be, after you check it), why risk a bottle rupturing and ruining your luggage? Not to mention, hotels provide towels and the Disney resorts have racks of free swim towels by all the pools, so you don't have to bring your own beach towels either. Why not leave that entire bag at home? :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

got2lovedisney

In the Parks
No
I haven't done it personally but have read many accounts of people buying water through Staples.com and getting free shipping to their resort.

Upvote 0

lunchbox1175

I bought filtered water bottles for our trip and they worked great. Filled them up the night before and put them in the mini fridge so they were nice and cold in the morning.

We love the bobble brand, but there are so many out there now.
Winner...Winner....this is the best way, just buy a filtered water bottle, and fill it up as needed, works great and will save you much more money in the long run.

Upvote 0

lilclerk

I bought filtered water bottles for our trip and they worked great. Filled them up the night before and put them in the mini fridge so they were nice and cold in the morning.

We love the bobble brand, but there are so many out there now.
I was going to suggest these, too =)

Upvote 0

Rob562

2. There are no purple MagicBands.
3. There are no black MagicBands.

Though from what I hear they are both under development.

Apparently the purple was found to fade quickly either in the sun or in chlorinated pool water (or a combo of both) so they were working to come up with a new dye for them.

And an all-black Band was the #1 request from convention-goers and is under development. (Probably much easier than purple, since they'd just have to make the entire Band the same color as the edging)

Not that it'll help the OP, since they're 35 days out and their Bands presumably will ship next week, but for those going in the non-immediate-future there's still hope. (I presume they'd just appear one day as additional options on the Band customization screens)

-Rob

Upvote 0

Poofiesdream

I heard you can buy purple bands at the stores that have the magic band for sale for the non resort guests. That color is not one of the free ones. Was told they were for sale around $5.00 at select resorts but they do sell purple sleeves for the magic bands.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dads 2 Boys

Original Poster
I'm not sure I understand this part of the post correctly, but if you have water packed in a suitcase, note that you're going to have to check it as opposed to using it as a carryon, due to the TSA 3 oz. container/1 quart baggie limits for liquids and gels in carryons. If you want water to drink while on the plane, you'll have to fill an empty bottle (or buy a bottle of water) after passing through security.

Still, there's really no need to pack water for your trip. All WDW counter service restaurants, at the resorts and in the parks, will give free cups of iced water to anyone on request, and there are drinking fountains and sinks all over the place. If you don't like the taste of Florida tap water, you can bring your own water bottle with a built-in filter to pour it through. Water is heavy and if your baggage is handled roughly (and it will be, after you check it), why risk a bottle rupturing and ruining your luggage? Not to mention, hotels provide towels and the Disney resorts have racks of free swim towels by all the pools, so you don't have to bring your own beach towels either. Why not leave that entire bag at home? :)

I suppose I should have been more clear about the water. We want it in our room (in the fridge) to use it as our "breakfast" drink since most everyday, we eat breakfast "on the go". And the beach towels are in there to soften any potential impact during handling. We also are going to TL so.....

Upvote 0

Dads 2 Boys

Original Poster
Instead of trekking to first aid stations why don't you pack quart size ziploc bags and just get ice whenever you need at counter service places throughout the parks for your knee?

I've thought about that as well and also about the disposable ones we can buy at our local pharmacy but was thinking of other options. Sometimes real ice and baggies result in leaks and I'm going to wrap it with an ace bandage to keep it around my knee whenever we sit for lunch. I need the ace bandage to remain dry when I rewrap it for dinner or anywhere else.

Upvote 0

LAM378

I've thought about that as well and also about the disposable ones we can buy at our local pharmacy but was thinking of other options. Sometimes real ice and baggies result in leaks and I'm going to wrap it with an ace bandage to keep it around my knee whenever we sit for lunch. I need the ace bandage to remain dry when I rewrap it for dinner or anywhere else.

I broke my toe in WDW a couple weeks ago and had to get ice packs from first aid at MK and Epcot. I don't know if they ever had anything better, but these were baggies of ice cubes folded inside some kind of waxy medical paper. I got lots of weird looks because it looked like I was hanging out on benches with a used diaper on my foot. The ice melted within minutes, and nothing was actually holding the whole package together so they became useless, wet messes pretty quickly. Better than nothing, of course, but I thought I'd let you know that these were pretty inconvenient.

Upvote 0

Dads 2 Boys

Original Poster
I broke my toe in WDW a couple weeks ago and had to get ice packs from first aid at MK and Epcot. I don't know if they ever had anything better, but these were baggies of ice cubes folded inside some kind of waxy medical paper. I got lots of weird looks because it looked like I was hanging out on benches with a used diaper on my foot. The ice melted within minutes, and nothing was actually holding the whole package together so they became useless, wet messes pretty quickly. Better than nothing, of course, but I thought I'd let you know that these were pretty inconvenient.

Thanks for the info. I was probably going to get the disposable ones from a pharmacy but not I'm most definitely going to get the ones here to bring.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom