How busy will it be Columbus Day weekend?

IWantMyMagicBand

Original Poster
My mum (we are from the U.K) and stepdad are heading to DLR, staying offsite on 9th October. She has it in her head that it will be quiet "because it's off season in October" and hadn't heard of Columbus Day. They plan on only doing rides with a short wait, they are not likely to be there for rope drop and plan on walk in for table service at Downtown Disney "because it's off property".

Should I look at making dining reservations for them, and any recommendations? What is the best strategy for a touring plan? I know they'll want to do Matterhorn, Thunder and Splash as well as RSR and Mickey's death wheel, possibly Screamin over California. Also Fantasmic and World of Color. I said they are likely to encounter a MNSSHP while there, but they won't attend it.
Also, do tickets include a day of EMH? She seemed to think they have extra magic despite being offsite. Last time she went was with me 18 years ago.

Be brutally honest -- she's not on here and I can sugar coat any bad news. She laughs at me for getting up at 5 to do my FP and planning 180 ADRs. I tell her if I'm not making the reservations, someone else is!

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
If it's a good neighbor resort she may get early entry to Disneyland. She will most likely be able to walk into any restaurant in a DTD. With a reasonable wait. How many days are they staying?

IWantMyMagicBand

Original Poster
If it's a good neighbor resort she may get early entry to Disneyland. She will most likely be able to walk into any restaurant in a DTD. With a reasonable wait. How many days are they staying?
They are staying at Holiday Inn I believe, near the Sheraton Anaheim, fly in on 8th, spending 9th, 10th and 11th at DLR, then onto Vegas for the 12th. She's convinced that you can buy tickets with EMH? I should also clarify this is not a Who's right discussion between me and mum, but an I want her to have the best holiday.... I'd hate her to miss out.

westie

There is no off season and weekends begin friday through sunday. Mid-week is best. I always recommend reservations only because time is valuable and waiting is painful. I'd take attractions as they come to avoid back tracking. I would recommend a restaraunt with a World of Color package because its spectacular.

TP2000

On a scale of 1 to 10, Columbus Day Weekend is an 8. It can be very busy. Check out the AP Calendar on Disneyland.com and try and plan her day that weekend when the most AP levels are blocked out, likely Saturday.

Also remind your Mom that Leif Erikson landed in what is now Canada's Maritime Provinces and set up a Scandinavian outpost several hundred years before Christopher Columbus ever found the Caribbean islands. But the Italians had better PR men in the early 1900's in America's big East Coast cities, and so they got a day off work and held big parades celebrating Columbus while the more humble Scandinavians were happy knowing the truth that their guy got here first. :cool:

Last edited:

IWantMyMagicBand

Original Poster
Thank you lovely people. She has tried to make ressies for the Friday and not much available so has started "planning". Lots of "I told you so's" between my stepdad and Mum when I visited today.
Thank you for the history lesson @TP2000 :) I did not know that and can google this with the kids.

GiveMeTheMusic

You might find our Guide to DLR for WDW Veterans thread very helpful -

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/guide-to-dlr-for-wdw-veterans.875596/

For the most part, reservations are entirely unnecessary. Visiting DLR is still a pretty spontaneous experience, as opposed to WDW where every detail must be planned out months before you arrive.

@TP2000, as always, gives flawless advice. October is no longer a quiet month for Disneyland, as their HalloweenTime promotion is incredibly popular. Unlike WDW, most offerings are available to all guests outside of the parties, including Haunted Mansion Holiday, Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy and daily villain meet-n-greets. Only the lackluster cavalcade and almost HalloWishes clone fireworks are exclusive to the party nights.

They'll have an amazing time!

SagamoreBeach

On a scale of 1 to 10, Columbus Day Weekend is an 8. It can be very busy. Check out the AP Calendar on Disneyland.com and try and plan her day that weekend when the most AP levels are blocked out, likely Saturday.

Also remind your Mom that Leif Erikson landed in what is now Canada's Maritime Provinces and set up a Scandinavian outpost several hundred years before Christopher Columbus ever found the Caribbean islands. But the Italians had better PR men in the early 1900's in America's big East Coast cities, and so they got a day off work and held big parades celebrating Columbus while the more humble Scandinavians were happy knowing the truth that their guy got here first. :cool:
And now there is very strong DNA evidence that Columbus was Spanish - not Italian.
-T

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom