Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon

a2grafix

I agree both with @FerretAfros and @Ariel484 I would suggest using the bag check. I know you will be worried about it all the 13 miles but it's amazing how organized runDisney is in getting your bag from A to B. Though I had some valuables inside my bag (i.e. 2013 Disneyland Half medal), I was glad I had the luxury and time to use the bag drop because, although it was 70-72 at dusk it was 62-64 during the afterparty, I wore a sweatshirt from the hotel to the corral drop off and put it in my bag when I felt warm enough without it. I also had some post race party stuff tucked neatly away in my bag. Everything was accounted for.

And yes, the farther you get inside future world, the better you have at a more empty bathroom. Once I changed, slung the bag over my shoulder and off I went slowing walking through World Showcase in my flip-flops, a t-shirt, sweatshirt and a swim trunks. When I got back to my hotel after 3-4am I hopped into the Shades of Green pool and got some circulation back into my legs.

I also suggest using the Leave a Legacy wall formations as your place to stretch. I did. Found a hidden spot and did my post race stretching routine after I drank a beer outside in the parking lot near the main entrance.

Funny thing. As we all were walking through the main entrance security stand it was hard not for the security guards to not sniff and turn a nose inside your runner bag because we were all sweaty after the race.

Last edited:

dancingtodisney

So according to the RunDisney info we get a clear plastic bag but no indication of size, I’m guessing if you guys just put your gearbags inside is that right? And plenty of room for a change of clothes and a few bits to freshen up? I’m thinking a backpack would be ok? I don’t know why but I had it in my head that it would be a really small bag as I’d read about people wearing old clothes to keep warm and then dumping them before the start but maybe this was so they could keep warm after bag check?

@Texas84 - somewhat related, I present the shirt I will be wearing for Wine & Dine :D
View attachment 62146

Love the T-Shirt!!!!!

Mad Stitch

So according to the RunDisney info we get a clear plastic bag but no indication of size, I’m guessing if you guys just put your gearbags inside is that right? And plenty of room for a change of clothes and a few bits to freshen up? I’m thinking a backpack would be ok? I don’t know why but I had it in my head that it would be a really small bag as I’d read about people wearing old clothes to keep warm and then dumping them before the start but maybe this was so they could keep warm after bag check?

Here is a pic of the bag check bag off of the internet to give you and idea of the size.

IMG_9453.jpg

LindsayLoves

Yes the "throwaway" clothing to keep warm is for after you drop off your bag. For Disney races you will have to walk a pretty good distance between the area where you first enter and where the corrals are. If you are following instructions properly you will have dropped your bag at bag check about an hour before the race even starts.

I know for races around here they are *super* strict about you not simply putting a backpack or other gym bag into the clear gear check bag. You have to empty the contents out into the clear plastic bag before they will let you check it. You will get the clear plastic bag when you pick up your bib and t-shirt at the expo so you can pack it up before time. If you aren't thrilled about carrying around that clear bag the rest of the night bring a small bag, like a drawstring bag or tote bag and fold it up and put it in your clear bag (pro tip- also bring a plastic bag to put your wet and smelly running clothing in). You might notice in the photo @Mad Stitch posted the clear bags can be worn sling style across the body or even backpack style if you are so inclined.

Ariel484

Here is a pic of the bag check bag off of the internet to give you and idea of the size.

IMG_9453.jpg
OMG...I recognize this chick. Have a love/hate relationship with her blog (she's one of those bloggers that seemingly got invited to every runDisney even for awhile there). :hilarious:

Ariel484

Just to add to what @LindsayLoves said...they have to be able to see everything you're checking. I think that was a rule before, but ever since Boston they have been cracking down on security (police dogs were at bag drop-off during last year's W&D, for example).

dreamfinder

Despite the fact you could easily hide something up inside of your checked clothing, they request no other bags inside the clear bags provided. As shown by the picture, it's a plenty big bag. In fact, shorter people may find that when they pull the draw string, the bottom of the bag bounces off their lower legs/feet if you hang it by the drawstring over your shoulder. I've had a full change of clothes, dry footwear, full sized towel from the pool, multiple water/Powerade bottles, and still have plenty of room in the bag.

Plan on having at least 30 minutes post bag check pre-race start, potentially much longer depending on your corral. At the events using the Jan Half/Full setup the bag check is roughly a mile away from the start line as well. And some of the other events (Like ToT/W&D) the bags are loaded onto a truck and driven to the pickup area as it isn't at the same location. So during colder/rainy races people will use throw away clothes/trash bags to stay warm/dry between bag check and race start.

Ariel484

And now, some Fuzzy Disney Math...

I was originally scheduled to arrive on Thursday, 11/6 on a 6:30AM flight. The airport is over an hour away, so that meant a 4AM wake-up call or something. My husband insisted I get a hotel room near the airport the night before, so I started looking at prices - the one hotel I had in mind was $194 for one night. Other ones were $90ish.

You know what other hotel was around that price for that night? Pop Century. You know who's going to have a free day off of work to use in the near future (thanks to attending a Sunday meeting)? This moi.*. So now I'm arriving on Wednesday afternoon instead of Thursday morning and sharing a room at Pop with the most awesome @Howe. My hotel cost is cheaper, I switched my flight for free because I'm on Southwest (actually the price dropped $20 so I got a credit) and I get an extra Disney day without using any PTO. Woohoo!! :)

*30 Rock anyone?

dancingtodisney

And now, some Fuzzy Disney Math...

I was originally scheduled to arrive on Thursday, 11/6 on a 6:30AM flight. The airport is over an hour away, so that meant a 4AM wake-up call or something. My husband insisted I get a hotel room near the airport the night before, so I started looking at prices - the one hotel I had in mind was $194 for one night. Other ones were $90ish.

You know what other hotel was around that price for that night? Pop Century. You know who's going to have a free day off of work to use in the near future (thanks to attending a Sunday meeting)? This moi.*. So now I'm arriving on Wednesday afternoon instead of Thursday morning and sharing a room at Pop with the most awesome @Howe. My hotel cost is cheaper, I switched my flight for free because I'm on Southwest (actually the price dropped $20 so I got a credit) and I get an extra Disney day without using any PTO. Woohoo!! :)

*30 Rock anyone?

Yah for time in Disney!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom