EPCOT Entertainment cuts

wannabeBelle

Original Poster
Belle... I know you are a big Off Kilter fan like myself. Have you personally talked to the members of Off Kilter? How are they feeling about this move? Perhaps some of it was their decision? I can understand that 17 years playing the same gig could be quite tiresome .
I havent talked to ay of the regulars as of yet but did speak to one of the subs I know that works with them. They are quite shocked, so I cant think it was anyone in the band's decision. Hopefully I will hear more today. Marie

wannabeBelle

Original Poster
I cant address the question like Marie can as she's better connected with them.

HOWEVER.

When we're looking at almost all the Equity entertainment around Epcot rumored to be cut by the end of the fiscal year, it does not like sound like it would their decision.
Exactly so!!!! Marie

wannabeBelle

Original Poster
Where is Off Kilter? I might go see them this weekend when I'm there. I hope British Revolution doesn't get cut, there will be hell to pay if that happens.
OK Plays on the stage just slightly after the Canadian Pavilion heading towards the UK The stage area is on your right. So far British Revolution is safe from what I have heard. Marie

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
some complain about the parks being stale...yet when a change is made they get mad?

I think those are great entertainment acts as well...but I don't think we should always assume the worst when something goes away that nothing (maybe even better) will ever replace it
Yes, I especially love the replacement parades and opening ceremonies at EP, DAK, and DHS. And the act they brought in to replace the Ziti Sisters at the Italy pavilion has been stellar....

Kman101

Wow.

I agree with others in that this seems extreme. I understand things get stale (and $$$) and need to be changed out but this is ... wow. I have to admit this one surprised me.

Epcot seems to be the more locals park, IMO, so I'm curious how this news is going to go over. Why are TDO taking away things that, you know, draw people in? Their strategy makes ZERO sense to me.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
IF they get replaced, what are the chances of the new acts NOT being cheaper than what's there now? Even if they fill the shoes of (some of) the cut shows, I doubt they'll be bigger.
Keep in mind, when Uni recently redid Beetlejuice, they ADDED FOUR performers to each show.

squidward

For me, the parks being stale isn't about the entertainment offered there. That aspect has always been Disney's strength. Stale, to me, means being too cheap to add new attractions, but rather completely doing a cheap 180 on existing attractions. You know, like adding a bunch of movie screens instead of animatronics.

Nemo14

For me, the parks being stale isn't about the entertainment offered there. That aspect has always been Disney's strength. Stale, to me, means being too cheap to add new attractions, but rather completely doing a cheap 180 on existing attractions. You know, like adding a bunch of movie screens instead of animatronics.
or dumbing down what used to be a fun place for people of ALL ages?

WDWFigment

It seems like someone saw the cost of the Maelstrom refurb/redo and thought it would be a wise idea to cut costs in the new FY to help offset the amount being spent on that refurb.

The problem is, this is a working theme park being visited by paying guests, not just a balance sheet existing in a vacuum. When you already are taking one attraction down, you don't cut more. In an ideal world, you'd add things to help offset the loss of 'activities' in World Showcase.

Nemo14

It seems like someone saw the cost of the Maelstrom refurb/redo and thought it would be a wise idea to cut costs in the new FY to help offset the amount being spent on that refurb.

The problem is, this is a working theme park being visited by paying guests, not just a balance sheet existing in a vacuum. When you already are taking one attraction down, you don't cut more. In an ideal world, you'd add things to help offset the loss of 'activities' in World Showcase.
But that is not Iger's world.:greedy:

Thumper 32

It's interesting that the WDW holiday press release just came out yesterday, and included mention of the Canadian Holiday Voyagers as part of the Epcot storytellers. Since they are basically just Off Kilter with a different name, I wonder what that means. Or, did someone just not tell the press team in time?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom