Menu suggestions for rehearsal dinner

EvilQueen-T

Original Poster
Before I get to my question let me start by saying I use the word "dinner" loosely because we're looking at more of a cocktail party/cocktail hour feel for our event sort of like the dessert parties but savory items not sweets (for context). We're looking at having this get together around 9pm after the wedding rehearsal and it will be at the GF by the summerhouse and the adjacent beach. We want it SUPER casual, like if you were to show up in your bathing suit and go swimming half way through it's fine kind of casual. I'm trying to figure out which way to go with the menu. I was wondering if anyone has done a rehearsal dinner or buffet style party with wdw lately and what you liked or didn't like? The options they've provided are as follows...
Option 1: Fire roasted corn chowder w/tomatillo and toasted cumin, lime tossed jicama and chayote squash slaw, yucatan fried rice w/grilled veg, mesquite bbq pork shanks, build your own chicken fajita and beef taco w/all the usual toppings, cornbread w/orange jalaepeno marmalade and cilantro butter, chocolate kahlua cheesecake, and tequila mousse torte.

Option 2: this is basically an American cookout w/coleslaw, corn on the cob, baked beans, bbq chicken, hot dogs and burgers, and ice cream novelties

Option 3: the ohana inspired option with Mixed garden Greens with Honey-Lime cream, papaya vinaigrette, charred corn and ham salad, toasted quinoa, pickled pineapple, roasted red pepper salad in a poppy seed dressing, Vegetable Pot Stickers, skewers coming straight from their grill of Marinated Beef Medallions, Asian BBQ pork loin, Sugar Cane Shrimp Skewers, Served with peanut sauce, Chimichurri sauce and sweet-and-sour sauce (which aren't they what's served at Ohana's?) Ginger soy butter saute green beans, Roasted Sweet Potato, plantain and bok choy, Hawaiian Sweet Bread and Butter, and dessert of 'Ohana Sugar-Roasted Pineapple a la mode with Butter Caramel Sauce

Option 4 would be to mix and match or come up with out own menu.

Any suggestions, experiences, hand holding help would be appreciated because I guess I should also mention this is being done as a surprise for my daughter and her fiance. They were just looking to hang out at the pool and get beer and pizzas from off property (it's actually something we do once a trip any time we end up with a large group on a disney tirp).

Sweet Melissa

I love the sound of the first menu! I think it would go really well with the casual, beachside vibe you're after. If anything were to change, I would maybe switch out the slaw for some kind of fruit salad.

We had our rehearsal dinner at the Cabana Bar at the Dolphin, and were going for the same kind of beachy feel. Obviously the food was entirely different because it wasn't done through Disney catering, but I think you're going to set a great tone for the evening. Everyone had a lot of fun at ours.

dreamfinder

I'd say 1 or 3 personally, more so 3. Even when I ate meat I was never very impressed with their BBQ Chicken or their burgers, so 2 would be out (although I'd hope its the most affordable option).

Your DD and DSiLtobe, were they looking at beer & pizza more for affordability or is that truly what they would prefer to have? If they would truly prefer to have beer & pizza you may want to consider seeing what Disney could offer for a more bar food type vibe. Sliders, flatbreads, wings, etc. Or even something that is simply more tapas styled. While the menus look tasty, I don't really see them as being cocktail hour type food. I envision both cocktail hour and dessert party as being more bite sized (maybe 2/3 bites) and all the items listed sound more like I need to sit down with a fork/knife and eat. Just my 2 cents, I'm sure they will appreciate whatever you end up doing for them.

EvilQueen-T

Original Poster
I'd say 1 or 3 personally, more so 3. Even when I ate meat I was never very impressed with their BBQ Chicken or their burgers, so 2 would be out (although I'd hope its the most affordable option).

Your DD and DSiLtobe, were they looking at beer & pizza more for affordability or is that truly what they would prefer to have? If they would truly prefer to have beer & pizza you may want to consider seeing what Disney could offer for a more bar food type vibe. Sliders, flatbreads, wings, etc. Or even something that is simply more tapas styled. While the menus look tasty, I don't really see them as being cocktail hour type food. I envision both cocktail hour and dessert party as being more bite sized (maybe 2/3 bites) and all the items listed sound more like I need to sit down with a fork/knife and eat. Just my 2 cents, I'm sure they will appreciate whatever you end up doing for them.

I'm pretty sure they were looking at it from a money aspect mostly. They didn't want to get his parents involved in anything financial related to the wedding because they tend to be dramatic and a bit manipulative to be honest. The couple feared they'd offer to do a rehearsal dinner then threaten to pull it if they weren't getting something they wanted. We've actually run into guest list drama with them since I originally posted this...so stupid and now they're threatening not to come at all so I guess my daughter and her fiance knew what they were doing when they decided on a cheap beer and pizza in order to avoid his parents. The poolside beer and order in pizza has just been something we've done when we've had various members of my family at disney at one time so I think that's where they got the idea originally.

EvilQueen-T

Original Poster
Well it's 37 days until the wedding, 36 til this party...aaaaahhhhh! We've actually decided to go with the first option with some changes. The desserts will be a key lime pie and a traditional NY cheesecake (both more approachable to a crowd I think) and there will be the addition of a fish taco option (my daughter's favorite). We're having a basic beachy pirate kind of theme with treasure chests, coins, beads, and candles on the tables with half standing cocktail tables and half regular seated tables. Oh and a visit from Captain Hook. We wanted Capt Jack as a first choice but corporate has a rule about it having to be heavily pirate themed before they let him come and it would put the party in the price range of the wedding itself so...um...not happening and not very magical feeling from corporate lol. The pirate idea comes from the fact that the couples first date was to see the first pirates movie and the only reason my daughter (pirate crazy at the time) would finally agree to go out with him back then so I guess it turned out appropriate that they're getting married at disney since it all basically started with disney.

dreamfinder

I'm pretty sure they were looking at it from a money aspect mostly. They didn't want to get his parents involved in anything financial related to the wedding because they tend to be dramatic and a bit manipulative to be honest. The couple feared they'd offer to do a rehearsal dinner then threaten to pull it if they weren't getting something they wanted. We've actually run into guest list drama with them since I originally posted this...so stupid and now they're threatening not to come at all so I guess my daughter and her fiance knew what they were doing when they decided on a cheap beer and pizza in order to avoid his parents. The poolside beer and order in pizza has just been something we've done when we've had various members of my family at disney at one time so I think that's where they got the idea originally.

Oh the drama of weddings.

Well it's 37 days until the wedding, 36 til this party...aaaaahhhhh! We've actually decided to go with the first option with some changes. The desserts will be a key lime pie and a traditional NY cheesecake (both more approachable to a crowd I think) and there will be the addition of a fish taco option (my daughter's favorite). We're having a basic beachy pirate kind of theme with treasure chests, coins, beads, and candles on the tables with half standing cocktail tables and half regular seated tables. Oh and a visit from Captain Hook. We wanted Capt Jack as a first choice but corporate has a rule about it having to be heavily pirate themed before they let him come and it would put the party in the price range of the wedding itself so...um...not happening and not very magical feeling from corporate lol. The pirate idea comes from the fact that the couples first date was to see the first pirates movie and the only reason my daughter (pirate crazy at the time) would finally agree to go out with him back then so I guess it turned out appropriate that they're getting married at disney since it all basically started with disney.

Sounds like it should be a great time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom