Disneyland Park closing early (5pm) on 9/18?

eastvillage

Original Poster
Hi All,

I'm really excited to make my first trip to Disneyland (I've been going to WDW since the 70s), but was a bit disappointed to find out that on my first planned day - Thursday, 9/18 - Disneyland Park is closing at 5pm!

Does anyone know what is happening that day? Does it still make sense for me to go to the park that day? I'm hoping there might be low crowds and I can take my time really exploring before the crowds show up for the weekend on Friday. Any advice or insight into what is happening is appreciated! :inlove:

eastvillage

Original Poster
Must be a special event. Either an annual passholder event or something else.

I would skip that day.

The only thing is I don't have much flexibility with my days (I can only spend two days there). I could try and do Friday and Saturday, but that would mean hitting the bigger weekend crowds.

The upside to doing Thursday is I could spend the rest of the evening exploring the hotels and going to Trader Sams. I could also spend 5p-8pm at DCA, but I don't know if I have much interest in that park (at least enough to spend the extra cash on a park hopper)...

But, yes, 5pm is a bit harsh...

Decisions, decisions...

Californian Elitist

The only thing is I don't have much flexibility with my days (I can only spend two days there). I could try and do Friday and Saturday, but that would mean hitting the bigger weekend crowds.

The upside to doing Thursday is I could spend the rest of the evening exploring the hotels and going to Trader Sams. I could also spend 5p-8pm at DCA, but I don't know if I have much interest in that park (at least enough to spend the extra cash on a park hopper)...

But, yes, 5pm is a bit harsh...

Decisions, decisions...

Cars Land is worth the coat of admission to DCA alone.

Vegas Disney Fan

I have no idea why DL is closing so early that day but if it were me I'd absolutely spend the extra money and get hopper tickets, I love DCA. World of Color is amazing, California Screamin is my favorite Disney coaster, Cars Land is beautiful at night and RSR is a must do, add in ToT, TSMM, Soarin, and the couple dozen secondary rides and your biggest problem will be not having enough time to even do all the rides let alone explore the park.

World of Color doesn't start until 8:15 so your really getting more like 5-9pm for the extra cost, just make sure you hop over at some point in the early afternoon to grab WoC FP's so you can get a decent view.

DCA is an amazing park and it would be a shame to come all the way to DLR and not spend some time there, I have an AP and probably spend 60% of my time at DL and 40% at DCA, it's that good.

eastvillage

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I think I will go ahead and get the park hopper. It is only $39 extra on the 2 day ticket. How early do you think I need to stop by DCA to get the WOC FP?

Vegas Disney Fan

I've never had a problem getting a WoC FP before 3 or 4 in the afternoon but I'd probably go an hour or 2 earlier that day just because a lot of people might have the same plan with DL closing early. The FP's are given out by Grizzly.

One of the great things about DLR is the parks are so close together walking over to DCA to grab a FP and then walking straight back to DL should only take about 20-30 minutes total. Grab a Mickey bar for the stroll and enjoy the atmosphere.

TP2000

Walking from Disneyland's Tomorrowland to DCA's Cars Land is about like walking from Spaceship Earth to the Japan pavilion. Except you pass by a lot more attractions, rides and epic E Tickets along the way in Anaheim than you do on the similar walk in Epcot.

dlrepcotcomparison.jpg

Get a park hopper that day, swoop in to DCA first thing for FP's at World of Color, then go back over and focus on Disneyland until late afternoon and then head over to DCA around 4pm. Don't wait until Disneyland closes at 5pm, since thousands of others will do the same and the lines at the DCA turnstiles will probably back up at Disneyland closing time. Get to DCA by 4pm, grab a FP for Tower of Terror or Soarin', hit up Radiator Springs Racers via Single Rider, catch a late afternoon performance of Alladin, and then enjoy the evening. Save things like Mermaid (short waits always!) and an Animation Pavilion visit for early evening when the lines might get longer at stuff once Disneyland is closed.

Figments Friend

Excellent advice from TP above.

The early closing on the 18th might be related to a special CM event.
When i visited DL last September around a similar date there was one night the Park closed early to honor CMs who were celebrating a milestone anniversary of their hiring.

eastvillage

Original Poster
Such great help and advice! Thank you! It's crazy how compact the two parks are (even though they are so filled with rides).

I have to say I am super excited for attractions, stores, etc. that I can no longer visit in WDW. It will be an epic Throwback Thursday for me with Mr. Toad, Main Street Cinema, Penny Arcade, Magic Shop, Golden Horseshoe, and Snow White. CAN NOT WAIT!

Another question regarding the WoC fp, how early before the show starts do I need to be there?

Figments Friend

Such great help and advice! Thank you! It's crazy how compact the two parks are (even though they are so filled with rides).

I have to say I am super excited for attractions, stores, etc. that I can no longer visit in WDW. It will be an epic Throwback Thursday for me with Mr. Toad, Main Street Cinema, Penny Arcade, Magic Shop, Golden Horseshoe, and Snow White. CAN NOT WAIT!

I have a feeling once you experience DL, you will be *spoiled* by such delights that were removed from Orlando*s MK....and might well find yourself preferring this place now for your *Disney Theme Park fix*.
Lots of WDW Vets have been converted over to the *West Coast Side* ( similar to the *Dark Side*...but less evil intentions involved) over the last couple of years it seems...myself included.
Absolutely love DL now. Hard pressed to find a reason to return to WDW.
That is coming from someone who spent 30+ years *living* at WDW and EPCOT Center.

You will love all those places you mentioned.
Be sure to not miss all the DL exclusive attractions, too...such as the Indiana Jones Adventure, Alice in Wonderland dark ride, and the charming Storybook Canal Boats.
Also don*t miss Big Thunder Mountain at DL with it*s nice refreshening.

Enjoy your visit to *Walt*s Original*.
Visit with a open mind...resist the temptation to *compare Parks*....enjoy the more relaxed pace, and be sure to take many moments to stop and savor the details.
It*s all about atmosphere at DL...and not rushing from one place to another in a commando-touring frenzy.

Have a fantastic experience !
:)

Last edited:

deix15x8

Question about the FastPass in Disneyland, my last visit to WDW used FP+ and the previous was 2001 so I don't remember exactly how they worked. It's normally one FP at a time but if you go to DCA and grab a WoC FP can you get one at DL still or is it completely blocked out for the day until the show that night?

Travel Junkie

Question about the FastPass in Disneyland, my last visit to WDW used FP+ and the previous was 2001 so I don't remember exactly how they worked. It's normally one FP at a time but if you go to DCA and grab a WoC FP can you get one at DL still or is it completely blocked out for the day until the show that night?

WOC is not connected to the system, so you can hold a WOC FP and still get another FP. Also DL and DCA are on separate systems so you can hold a FP at DL and DCA at the same time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom