Questions about Disney on New Year's

kelli_

Hi! I'm a new user but I've been stalking these forums for months and finally decided to ask some questions of my own. :)

My mom and I have just booked a trip for Dec 29th-Jan 4th of this year. Are the crowds as insane as I've heard they are? We've never been at this time of year but we have been during peak July and managed fine with crowds. We are staying the first two nights at Pop Century, which is new to us, with the hope of getting FP+ 60 days out.

Will FP+ be available for New Year's fireworks/shows preferred seating the way it is for Wishes & parades now? Also our current plan is to do MK the 30th and DHS the 31st. Should we expect DHS to close due to reaching capacity? Also, do parks generally reach capacity on New Year's Day?

Thanks for any insight you guys can give me!!
-Kelli

JasonDeyoung

I've only dared to attempt WDW twice on New Year's Eve. Went to AK and it was balls to the walls packed! Busiest I've ever seen a Disney park and I've been to every holiday, event whatever they have. The fireworks and parties are a lot of fun though if you get into a park and tough it out. I went last year to Epcot and it wasn't horrible but it was defiantly beyond packed. It's fun though they had dance parties etc set up all over the park. It's something I'd say go to experience at least once, I have no regrets

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

We did Xmas in 2008, arriving at AKL on Christmas Day. We had all our ADRs sorted at the 180 day mark.
I too was worried by the anticipated crowd levels. What we eventually experienced wasn't too bad when compared to our previous WDW visits, however, all our visits have been at Easter or during August so we always do busy times.
Park closing due to crowd levels was another issue to consider for New Years Eve. We got into EPCOT around 0930 and we stayed there all day - the park did close late morning (as did MK). Stand by line for Soarin' was at over 3 hours by mid afternoon !!!
We staked out our spot in the World Showcase for the two showings of Illuminations by around 7pm and in parts the crowds were already three or four deep.
There's no better experience than a Disney Christmas / New Year. To enjoy it, you HAVE to plan carefully and well in advance

Upvote 0

kelli_

Original Poster
Thanks for the fast replies! I think we can manage the crowds, I'm just hoping to stake out a good spot for the fireworks and shows. Also, does anyone know when the last day for the Epcot storytellers in the WS is?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

taz0162

Yes NYE is extremely packed but they tend to stay open later. also when people are watching the fireworks/countdown the lines for rides can be shorter. Also in my past trips Disney tends to hold the same level of Fireworks show on both Dec 30th and Dec 31st with late openings on each night. Dec 30th was pretty short lines compared to the 31st due to people going back to their resorts to rest up for the next day. The only thing that is offsetting is how the music that is played throughout the park each night is more of a pop variety instead of the Disney-esk tunes. If you plan on going on the 31st get there early and don't rely in a meal reservation for them to get you in the park because if it's closed off to more guests it's closed until the limit is below threshold.

Upvote 0

kelli_

Original Poster
Also in my past trips Disney tends to hold the same level of Fireworks show on both Dec 30th and Dec 31st with late openings on each night. Dec 30th was pretty short lines compared to the 31st due to people going back to their resorts to rest up for the next day. The only thing that is offsetting is how the music that is played throughout the park each night is more of a pop variety instead of the Disney-esk tunes. If you plan on going on the 31st get there early and don't rely in a meal reservation for them to get you in the park because if it's closed off to more guests it's closed until the limit is below threshold.
Good to know! Thank you. We'll go early and stay all day. Are there much fewer people watching the fireworks on the 30th than the 31st?

Upvote 0

taz0162

A lot fewer on the 30th compared to the 31st for the Magic Kingdom. and with open late magic hours a definate night to take advantage of it that way.
Each park will get packed on the 31st. get there early and plan to stay.
HS does have (if not already booked up) Fantasmic meal plan where you eat at one of three locations for lunch/dinner and get preferred seating for Fantasmic. We ate at Mama Melrose and received a free appetizer of our choice since we were there for NYE. Not sure if that is standard but was a sweet perk.

Upvote 0

kelli_

Original Poster
HS does have (if not already booked up) Fantasmic meal plan where you eat at one of three locations for lunch/dinner and get preferred seating for Fantasmic.
That would be awesome. I'll keep checking to see if there are any cancellations, assuming it's already booked. Thanks again

Upvote 0

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Hi! I'm a new user but I've been stalking these forums for months and finally decided to ask some questions of my own. :)

My mom and I have just booked a trip for Dec 29th-Jan 4th of this year. Are the crowds as insane as I've heard they are? We've never been at this time of year but we have been during peak July and managed fine with crowds. We are staying the first two nights at Pop Century, which is new to us, with the hope of getting FP+ 60 days out.

Will FP+ be available for New Year's fireworks/shows preferred seating the way it is for Wishes & parades now? Also our current plan is to do MK the 30th and DHS the 31st. Should we expect DHS to close due to reaching capacity? Also, do parks generally reach capacity on New Year's Day?

Thanks for any insight you guys can give me!!
-Kelli
Crowds on New Year's Eve are insane at Epcot and MK, and borderline insane at DHS. Recommendations from my experiences (and I'll be implementing some of them this year, as I'll be down there again).

1. See the MK New Year's Eve fireworks on December 30. Same show, less crowds.

2. During the day on December 31, go to DAK if you have hopping ability. DAK is the only park that doesn't stay open until midnight NYE, and therefore those without a hopper don't go to DAK. Crowds at DAK are generally no worse than an average day on NYE because of this.

3. Wherever you go at night for New Year's, don't expect to ride anything big unless you have FP reserved. Make a dinner reservation if you can (might already be too late) and plan to enjoy the entertainment and atmosphere. Last time I was at Epcot for NYE, Soarin had a wait posted of 180 minutes, TT was 150, Maelstrom was 75, etc.

4. MK, DHS might hit capacity during the day, but will probably open up again at night once some of the families with young kids have left. I've never not been able to get into the park of my choice by evening.

Upvote 0

kelli_

Original Poster
Crowds on New Year's Eve are insane at Epcot and MK, and borderline insane at DHS. Recommendations from my experiences (and I'll be implementing some of them this year, as I'll be down there again).

1. See the MK New Year's Eve fireworks on December 30. Same show, less crowds.

2. During the day on December 31, go to DAK if you have hopping ability. DAK is the only park that doesn't stay open until midnight NYE, and therefore those without a hopper don't go to DAK. Crowds at DAK are generally no worse than an average day on NYE because of this.

3. Wherever you go at night for New Year's, don't expect to ride anything big unless you have FP reserved. Make a dinner reservation if you can (might already be too late) and plan to enjoy the entertainment and atmosphere. Last time I was at Epcot for NYE, Soarin had a wait posted of 180 minutes, TT was 150, Maelstrom was 75, etc.

4. MK, DHS might hit capacity during the day, but will probably open up again at night once some of the families with young kids have left. I've never not been able to get into the park of my choice by evening.
Thanks for the tips. What time would I be able to expect DHS to reopen if it reaches capacity on the 31st? I have dining reservations made for HBD at 5:45, but going to DAK that morning would be great to avoid spending a full day at a jam packed park.

Upvote 0

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Thanks for the tips. What time would I be able to expect DHS to reopen if it reaches capacity on the 31st? I have dining reservations made for HBD at 5:45, but going to DAK that morning would be great to avoid spending a full day at a jam packed park.
Best guess is you should be fine by then. With a hopper, staying on site, and dinner reservations, I think they'd have to be at Stage 4 to deny you entry, and that's unlikely. Check out threads from last New Years on the forums here to see what closures happened, but I think you ought to be OK.

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

Be careful. Once its closed, its closed (unless the occupancy drops due to people leaving). What I'm trying to say here is that if you arrive at DHS in time for your ADR and find it closed due to reaching capacity, then you're not getting in - meal booked or otherwise.
This is why I'd avoid AK on 31st. Sure it may be quieter, but you're not going to celebrate New Year in AK and will have to hop to another park. Your entry into another park cannot be guaranteed.
What isnt clear from your initial post is whether you're staying at a WDW resort on NYE. The 4 stage park closure favours Resort Guests, but if it reaches stage 4 nobody gets in

Upvote 0

epcot2004

Our trip spanned New Year's Eve a few years ago. We were so concerned that they would phase close the parks so we went to Epcot very early in the day to be sure we were there for the fireworks. So, it was very busy but tolerable for most of the day. Fast forward to around 8 pm, it starts raining. 45 minute waits for the restrooms, human gridlock in Canada. Around 10:30 we had decided to leave the park. There were so many people they were venting the crowd backstage under Test Track to alleviate WS. I was disappointed that we were leaving but was somehow intrigued by seeing backstage areas - there might be some photos somewhere. Looking back at it I would give it another try but would enter the park much later in the day. Hope you have a great time!

Upvote 0

kelli_

Original Poster
What isnt clear from your initial post is whether you're staying at a WDW resort on NYE. The 4 stage park closure favours Resort Guests, but if it reaches stage 4 nobody gets in
I am staying at Pop on NYE and am also a passholder so that should help though it sounds like the parks often close to everyone on these days, so I'll have to consider everything. Thanks

Upvote 0

kelli_

Original Poster
Our trip spanned New Year's Eve a few years ago. We were so concerned that they would phase close the parks so we went to Epcot very early in the day to be sure we were there for the fireworks. So, it was very busy but tolerable for most of the day. Fast forward to around 8 pm, it starts raining. 45 minute waits for the restrooms, human gridlock in Canada. Around 10:30 we had decided to leave the park. There were so many people they were venting the crowd backstage under Test Track to alleviate WS. I was disappointed that we were leaving but was somehow intrigued by seeing backstage areas - there might be some photos somewhere. Looking back at it I would give it another try but would enter the park much later in the day. Hope you have a great time!
Wow. This scares me because I've never seen Epcot so crowded. Sorry this happened to you! I can't imagine rain and crowds and probably cold too but not being able to leave because then you can't reenter! :eek:
I'm hoping to avoid the two more crowded parks by going to DHS. Hopefully it works out.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom