Disneyland Half Marathon

FerretAfros

I would assume that it will be Labor Day again, but you'll probably have an official date before the 11-month window. Race registration typically opens 7-9 months before the event, and they always announce the dates long before that for existing races. Even when Tink switched weekends, they announced it shortly after this year's event

The only thing that I could see causing it to move would be the potential Disneyland Paris Half, which has been rumored as a September race, but it seems unlikely that it would be early in the month

I'm not sure exactly how DVC works, but can you change your dates after you select them? I know availability is limited at GCH, but it might be worth reserving Labor Day, and then switching later if the date gets changed

Ariel484

I would assume that it will be Labor Day again, but you'll probably have an official date before the 11-month window. Race registration typically opens 7-9 months before the event, and they always announce the dates long before that for existing races. Even when Tink switched weekends, they announced it shortly after this year's event
I think you're right about them announcing next year's race dates pretty soon. Hopefully not long after this year's race.
The only thing that I could see causing it to move would be the potential Disneyland Paris Half, which has been rumored as a September race, but it seems unlikely that it would be early in the month
That's a good point about Paris. September 2015 has been the rumor...
I'm not sure exactly how DVC works, but can you change your dates after you select them? I know availability is limited at GCH, but it might be worth reserving Labor Day, and then switching later if the date gets changed
I think that would be fine if I was a DVC member, that I could just change it around - but I'm a non-member and would want to rent points, which means I'd pay everything upfront and it would be non-refundable and couldn't be changed. That's why I want to be sure of the dates. :)

Mad Stitch

I also noticed that they had this year's dates on this year's program which is odd. I was wondering if they were considering moving the race and was going to make a post about it, but I never did.

Ariel484

I also noticed that they had this year's dates on this year's program which is odd. I was wondering if they were considering moving the race and was going to make a post about it, but I never did.
That was my first thought when I saw that the 2015 dates weren't there. Normally I wouldn't have looked, but since I want to do this in 2015 I have all of my PTO planned out for the year and wanted to rent those points...I'll be interested to see what ends up happening with the dates.

Just thinking about where they would possibly move it, IF they move it...

Early January - Marathon Weekend (Florida)
Mid-January - Star Wars Weekend (California)
Late February - Princess Half Weekend (Florida)
Early May - Expedition Everest Challenge Weekend (Florida)
Mid-May - Tinkerbell Half Weekend (California)
Late August/Early September - Half Marathon Weekend (California)
September - DLP Half Marathon Weekend (???? Paris)
Early October - Tower of Terror 10-miler weekend (Florida)
Early November - Wine & Dine Weekend (Florida)
Mid-November - Avengers Weekend (California)

Early February?? March?? October? I have no idea.

It's pretty spread out through the year but they clearly are okay with doing Florida/California weekends back-to-back, or really close to one another. Hmm...

Texas84

I know it's normally over Labor Day weekend, but still...hmm. Was hoping to try to rent points for VGC right at the 11-month mark (I can dream, right?) so this throws a wrench in things. o_O

We got VGC after registration. Maybe DVC isn't such a big deal over there.

Early January - Marathon Weekend (Florida)
Mid-January - Star Wars Weekend (California)
Late February - Princess Half Weekend (Florida)
Early May - Expedition Everest Challenge Weekend (Florida)
Mid-May - Tinkerbell Half Weekend (California)
Late August/Early September - Half Marathon Weekend (California)
September - DLP Half Marathon Weekend (???? Paris)
Early October - Tower of Terror 10-miler weekend (Florida)
Early November - Wine & Dine Weekend (Florida)
Mid-November - Avengers Weekend (California)

Early February?? March?? October? I have no idea.

It's pretty spread out through the year but they clearly are okay with doing Florida/California weekends back-to-back, or really close to one another. Hmm...

Don't forget that new Florida Star Wars race. :)

Sumrdog

@Ariel484 I hope they do move the dates, I think it has the potential to be pretty hot the end of August...However I will know more about that in 21 days!!! (Super excited over here :)!) Fall or late spring might be better dates and having it over a holiday weekend probably compounds the crowding...I think it would be smart of them to adjust the date a little bit at least.

I had hoped to use my DVC points to stay at VGC for the Star Wars half and I began checking availability immediately but it was booked up solid, I think they only have 46 studios...Some super low amount. The nice thing about Disneyland is that you can stay off property and still be within walking distance. It took me a little while to get over my disappointment of not being able to stay onsite but I just couldn't afford the rates at the hotels. So I will be about a ten minute walk from the start at the Best Western across the street for 119$ a night. For the Disneyland half in 3 weeks my daughter is going with me and its her birthday; so we took up a family collection and we are staying at Paradise Pier...(So excited!)

dreamfinder

We got VGC after registration. Maybe DVC isn't such a big deal over there.

Not to be a buzzkill, but when I ran it in 2012, tried to get a studio 7 months on the dot, and I ended up only getting the last night of our trip. Ended up having 4 different bookings for 4 nights that trip why hoping for the waitlist (which didn't come through).

a2grafix

@Ariel484 I hope they do move the dates, I think it has the potential to be pretty hot the end of August...However I will know more about that in 21 days!!! (Super excited over here :)!)

I ran the Disneyland Half in 2013 and the days leading up to it were in the 80s, around 90. Half race morning run time temp was supposed to be around 67-68. Nope it was already 71-74 at 5:30am with moderate humidity. Luckily I started in B corral (yes it was B corrall -- printed on my bib). It got warm midway through the run and a little after my finish 2:30 later a little after 8am it was approaching 80. I was feeling for the late corral runners and walkers who started 20 minutes after me. It was easily 83 after I finished.

This, though, is a great view after you leave backstage of Disneyland park. Right around Mile 4 heading to Mile 5.
2013-09-01_06-29-41_522.jpg

Last edited:

Ariel484

So I'm planning on doing this next year and was looking for confirmation of the 2015 dates...normally they'll post dates for next year in the current program (i.e. the 2015 Princess Half dates can be found in the 2014 Princess Half program). But I opened the Disneyland Half weekend program...no 2015 dates. :grumpy:

I know it's normally over Labor Day weekend, but still...hmm. Was hoping to try to rent points for VGC right at the 11-month mark (I can dream, right?) so this throws a wrench in things. o_O

ETA: I should also add that I emailed runDisney about this and they gave me the usual, "Dates are being finalized, follow us on Twitter!" :grumpy:
Just looked at the ToT program for this year and they did NOT post the dates for ToT in 2015. So now I am not sure what to think! Hopefully they announce the 2015 dates for DLH weekend sometime over the next week. :)

Mad Stitch

Just looked at the ToT program for this year and they did NOT post the dates for ToT in 2015. So now I am not sure what to think! Hopefully they announce the 2015 dates for DLH weekend sometime over the next week. :)

Interesting. They also don't even list the Expedition Everest Challenge anymore. We heard rumors the one in May was the last one, but then there were rumors that it would be back, who knows at this point? With three races having unknown dates in 2015 there is definitely going to be change of some kind coming.

Ariel484

Interesting. They also don't even list the Expedition Everest Challenge anymore. We heard rumors the one in May was the last one, but then there were rumors that it would be back, who knows at this point? With three races having unknown dates in 2015 there is definitely going to be change of some kind coming.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks it's a little weird. I saw that about EEC too...hmmmm...

FerretAfros

Runner tracking info has been posted. It looks like they're using a different system this time, so it will be interesting to see how it works
http://www.rundisney.com/blog/articles/ATT-Athlete-Alerts-08-25-14/

It also says something about having people be able to text in support which will be shown on screens at the start, finish, and stadium. It would be really neat if they had the technology to link up the texts to your tracking so that your messages appeared when you were actually there, but that seems like it might be a stretch

Texas84

Star Wars

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom