2015 WDWMagic Family Cruise

mammaminnie

The Family Cruise is starting to book up!! If you are thinking about sailing with us, now is the time to book before rooms aren't available.

lebeau

I need someone to sell me on this so I can potentially sell it to my family.

We're a family of four. We have two daughters who will be 10 and 6 at the time of the trip. The youngest is princess-obsessed. We've done Disney World several times and we're looking for something else. My wife would like something more relaxing. So I'm thinking a cruise could keep a lot of things we like about Disney World while also being less exhausting.

But we have some pretty major reservations. My wife and oldest daughter both suffer from claustrophobia. A two hour plane ride is stressful for them. The thought of a small room sends my wife into a panic. She's also worried that she will feel trapped at sea since there is nowhere to go. To give you some idea, she was frightened by CoP because the exit doors were rotating. Spaceship Earth and the People Mover are scary to her because of their moments of pitch black. I'm not sure she could handle a cruise.

The other concern is boredom. I keep hearing that this should not be a concern. But the kids don't like to be away from us and I'm worried they will not participate in a lot of activities for kids. Assuming we don't split up, will there be enough for us to do? There's obviously no rides and we won't want to be stuck in that little room. Can we fill an entire day outside of the room and without the kids' clubs?

Give me your best pitch. I've got to sell this to three rather skeptical girls. ;)

sissa216

Hi @lebeau ! The claustrophobia is definitely a valid concern, and only she can really know if she'll be comfortable with it.

For a family of 4, only staterooms with a Verandah remain, which would be the best option to help make her feel more at ease. Disney is known to have some of the largest rooms in the cruise industry, and they are definitely comfortable and efficiently planned!

This video is a good resource to start getting a feel for the rooms (start around 2:20 to see the verandahs).

This specific sailing is a great itinerary that doesn't leave much time to be bored :D It includes 1 stop in Nassau and 2 stops at Castaway Cay- there's not full day at sea. These shorter Bahamian itineraries are a pretty good chance to help her "get her feet wet" with cruising, so to speak ;)

lebeau

Hi @lebeau ! The claustrophobia is definitely a valid concern, and only she can really know if she'll be comfortable with it.

For a family of 4, only staterooms with a Verandah remain, which would be the best option to help make her feel more at ease. Disney is known to have some of the largest rooms in the cruise industry, and they are definitely comfortable and efficiently planned!

This video is a good resource to start getting a feel for the rooms (start around 2:20 to see the verandahs).

This specific sailing is a great itinerary that doesn't leave much time to be bored :D It includes 1 stop in Nassau and 2 stops at Castaway Cay- there's not full day at sea. These shorter Bahamian itineraries are a pretty good chance to help her "get her feet wet" with cruising, so to speak ;)

Thanks for the info. We've got some thinking to do. I showed my daughters a Travel Channel show about the cruise line last night and my youngest is 100% on board. My older daughter who shares some of my wife's claustrophobia is going to take some convincing. It does sound like a perfect intro to the cruising concept. We just have to figure out whether or not my crew can handle cruising.

sissa216

Thanks for the info. We've got some thinking to do. I showed my daughters a Travel Channel show about the cruise line last night and my youngest is 100% on board. My older daughter who shares some of my wife's claustrophobia is going to take some convincing. It does sound like a perfect intro to the cruising concept. We just have to figure out whether or not my crew can handle cruising.

Okay, submitted the quote form. We'll see what the damage would be. Look forward to hearing from you.

Fantastic! The Travel Channel specials are another great resource. Staying on a higher deck and as close as possible to the elevator/stairs is also a good idea, as well as spending time in the public spaces. To me, it feels like sailing on a WDW deluxe resort.

lebeau

Fantastic! The Travel Channel specials are another great resource. Staying on a higher deck and as close as possible to the elevator/stairs is also a good idea, as well as spending time in the public spaces. To me, it feels like sailing on a WDW deluxe resort.

That's the idea. My oldest expressed deep reservations about boarding a bot despite my assurances that a boat of this size is unlike any other boat she has ever been on. So this could be an uphill battle. But I do think it would be a great alternative to the parks provided everyone can relax and enjoy themselves.

If the cruise goes to Nassau, is there any chance of booking a dolphin encounter? That would be a big selling point for the Mrs.

Thanks again!

sissa216

That's the idea. My oldest expressed deep reservations about boarding a bot despite my assurances that a boat of this size is unlike any other boat she has ever been on. So this could be an uphill battle. But I do think it would be a great alternative to the parks provided everyone can relax and enjoy themselves.

If the cruise goes to Nassau, is there any chance of booking a dolphin encounter? That would be a big selling point for the Mrs.

Thanks again!

Yes definitely! There are actually a couple of dolphin encounter options in Nassau.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom