Disney World Mistakes *gasp* Is that possible?

Nick Wilde

Original Poster
So, I was reading a book about Walt Disney World, and I came across a little Did You Know? thing. It said that in Carousel Of Progress, there is a continuation error. It goes through almost a century or more, and the characters never age! It made me think, "I wonder if there are any more little mistakes like these in Disney World?" So if you do know one, please share it!

Tom

Beta Return
I wouldn't consider that an error. It's more "artistic license". The Imagineers didn't make a mistake - the show was designed intentionally. Makes more sense to have one narrator than to invent new families for each scene. You "get to know" the family as the show progresses, which makes it more personal.

Nick Wilde

Original Poster
Good point. Never thought of it that way. But it's still a continuation "error," even if it's intentional. Most people are supposed to not notice it. The original Imagineers probably considered this.

Daniel Johnson

Lol, I always wondered about the family seemingly never changing...but, I'm 33 years old and seem to get misty eyed when I see fireworks over the castle visit after visit....
Artistic licence makes perfect sense!

dreynolds1982

The bigger continuity error in CP is the fact that the kid in the final "future" scene is playing a virtual reality game from the 1990s. o_O

Trying to think of other errors. This one isn't so much an error as a lapse in theme/concept. The placement of RnR. Originally, DHS was designed as a time line of sorts of Hollywood, starting with the "golden era" in the front of the park, moving to present day (aka the studios area in the back, back when actual movies were made there). ToT fit in perfectly with the "golden era" of Hollywood theme along Sunset Blvd. RnR, not so much. Granted, they've since more or less abandoned that original theme, but still!

Nick Wilde

Original Poster
The bigger continuity error in CP is the fact that the kid in the final "future" scene is playing a virtual reality game from the 1990s. o_O

Trying to think of other errors. This one isn't so much an error as a lapse in theme/concept. The placement of RnR. Originally, DHS was designed as a time line of sorts of Hollywood, starting with the "golden era" in the front of the park, moving to present day (aka the studios area in the back, back when actual movies were made there). ToT fit in perfectly with the "golden era" of Hollywood theme along Sunset Blvd. RnR, not so much. Granted, they've since more or less abandoned that original theme, but still!
That's true. I also regularly criticize Uni for doing this. Transformers is a HUGE eyesore as you're walking down San Fran. It doesn't make any sense there.

SMPTE MOUSE

I wouldn't consider that an error. It's more "artistic license". The Imagineers didn't make a mistake - the show was designed intentionally. Makes more sense to have one narrator than to invent new families for each scene. You "get to know" the family as the show progresses, which makes it more personal.

I agree with you Tom, however, when COP was first developed it only spanned 60 years - from the 20's to the 80's. Today, the current version carries the story through to 2015ish. While still my fav attraction at MK, I would say that the COP needs to be updated. Perhaps one of the children could take over the narration for the final scene. That would certainly help with the storyline while maintaining the existing structure and arch. Thoughts?

Tom

Beta Return
I agree with you Tom, however, when COP was first developed it only spanned 60 years - from the 20's to the 80's. Today, the current version carries the story through to 2015ish. While still my fav attraction at MK, I would say that the COP needs to be updated. Perhaps one of the children could take over the narration for the final scene. That would certainly help with the storyline while maintaining the existing structure and arch. Thoughts?

I agree that the final scene needs to be majorly updated. I still like that they use the same family throughout. They do age, just at a slower pace than the time that passes. Now, if they used the same animatronics for every scene, it wouldn't make any sense.

disney4life2008

2015 is pushing it more like 1999.

Sudcaro- Sudcaro

The biggest Disney mistake IMO -be it in WDW, other parks or merchandise- is the blue gown Cinderella wears. In the movie, she doesn't wear a blue gown, but a white one. I honestly watched and watched, I still don't see it blue!

Kevin Kuhl

In regards to CoP, it seems like Jimmy is the only character who ages. I know they want to make it the same family and everything, but why not keep Jimmy the same age?

Voxel

President of Progress City
Good point. Never thought of it that way. But it's still a continuation "error," even if it's intentional. Most people are supposed to not notice it. The original Imagineers probably considered this.
I am not sure its a continuation "error". If you ride the People Mover it clearly states "here four warm and humorous families welcome you into their homes of yesterday and today "

:p

wdwgreek

So, I was reading a book about Walt Disney World, and I came across a little Did You Know? thing. It said that in Carousel Of Progress, there is a continuation error. It goes through almost a century or more, and the characters never age! It made me think, "I wonder if there are any more little mistakes like these in Disney World?" So if you do know one, please share it!
I think the BIGGEST continuity issue no one ever addresses is how in the first scene they have three children, son, daughter, and then the third daughter works the laundry machine. Come the 20's no second daughter? With all mothers extra time maybe she canned the third child.... or maybe just maybe they sacrificed their youngest daughter to ensure they would never age... would solve that continuity issue right up...

Doug Means

I think the BIGGEST continuity issue no one ever addresses is how in the first scene they have three children, son, daughter, and then the third daughter works the laundry machine. Come the 20's no second daughter? With all mothers extra time maybe she canned the third child.... or maybe just maybe they sacrificed their youngest daughter to ensure they would never age... would solve that continuity issue right up...

now that's funny

WDIFanBoy

I know quite a few of the "mistakes," although there aren't many. Here's my favorite from the Haunted Mansion:

"The 'Peppers Ghost' illusion in particular proved very useful for a spooky ballroom scene where a birthday dinner, dancing and a creepy organist can be observed. A rather funny story that comes out of this scene is that when designing the Audio-Animatronics that were shown ballroom dancing, the Imagineers built them as anyone would have, with the men leading the women. However, when they were lit up and mirrored in the glass, it was shown as the opposite, with the women leading the men."

Source: http://www.weloveorlandofl.com/disn...ook-at-the-history-behind-the-haunted-mansion

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom