The Park Formerly Known as Disney's Hollywood Studios? Yep ...

morningstar

it most likely will be named this, or possibly floridian adventure. my only gripe about it is there's another park just down the road from disney with "adventure" in its name... isn't one of the reasons the studios name may be dropped may be to do with the similarly named universal studios?

wont disney want to steer clear of any kind of similarities regarding competitors?

I think the reason it was originally named Studios was intentional similarity to the park down the road. The idea being, you don't need to leave WDW, we've got that right here too. So no, I don't think they will mind being confused with their competitor. It doesn't hurt Disney World that confused people think they have Harry Potter. Some people think Universal Studios is part of Disney World. I don't think many people think Disney World is part of Universal Studios.

Last edited:

morningstar

So just because people don't know certain facts, it's completely okay for Disney to take advantage of people's ignorance and build off of it?

Disney takes advantage of ignorance for marketing all the time. As one example, look at the success of Hanna Montana. Miley Cyrus wasn't anything special and certainly lacked the vocal chords and talent to be a musical sensation, yet Disney told us she had sold out shows in Europe (questionable by definition of "sold out" as the story is that the tickets were all given away through stations and contests) and was a huge sensation, so the back story was believable and the marketing campaign was a huge success.

Good marketing does not always mean ethical marketing.

I don't think I can find the above kind of marketing defensible, even if we can agree it isn't beyond Disney to do it. However I think using the name "Hollywoodland" would be a harmless sort of "taking advantage of people's ignorance", which Disney also does all the time and people adore. I mean in real life, castles were dank and drafty, pirates were ruthless and cruel, and Main Street had limited career opportunities. Disney "takes advantage of our ignorance" and presents the nostalgic aspects of these. It's enjoyable and entertaining. I don't see a problem with it.

Mike S

That doesn't necessarily mean Disney's Hollywood Studios or any park in Florida.

They're going to sit back and take their sweet time for as long as they can…
I expected that answer. Sad that they'll just be stringing us along with empty promises until they finally decide to announce it, have it under construction for 5 years, THEN it finally opens. Once again,
image.jpg

Last edited:

stevehousse

I think the reason it was originally named Studios was intentional similarity to the park down the road. The idea being, you don't need to leave WDW, we've got that right here too. So no, I don't think they will mind being confused with their competitor. It doesn't hurt Disney World that confused people think they have Harry Potter. Some people think Universal Studios is part of Disney World. I don't think many people think Disney World is part of Universal Studios.

Um not sure how old u r, I'm assuming ur young and just don't remember, but the studios parks were originally real working film studios. Several movies were filmed there and a bunch of Disney television shows were filmed there as well. In the late 90's the studios shut down and that when the park became the mess it is today.

wdrive

Um not sure how old u r, I'm assuming ur young and just don't remember, but the studios parks were originally real working film studios. Several movies were filmed there and a bunch of Disney television shows were filmed there as well. In the late 90's the studios shut down and that when the park became the mess it is today.

It was partly that but the Disney Studios were also built in response to Universal. Eisner even mentions it in his book.

stevehousse

It was partly that but the Disney Studios were also built in response to Universal. Eisner even mentions it in his book.
Of course competition was the main reason for it being built, but the poster I quoted didn't even have any clue it used to be a working studio...

Mouse Trap

Of course competition was the main reason for it being built, but the poster I quoted didn't even have any clue it used to be a working studio...

I was a tad bit too young to remember in detail all the actual filming that used to go down at DHS and Uni. It's sad the industry burned out so quickly here. Taking REAL studio tours at both parks would be a real gem IMO.

morningstar

Just because I didn't mention it doesn't mean I didn't have a clue.

I also think the working studio aspect was pretty forced and really just meant to legitimize that MGM Studios was the same kind of deal as Universal. I don't really think Disney or MGM needed to open a studio in Florida to support their movie business.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It was working but was never the beehive of production that was intended.

Post production and dry gear hire were slightly more successful.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Just because I didn't mention it doesn't mean I didn't have a clue.

I also think the working studio aspect was pretty forced and really just meant to legitimize that MGM Studios was the same kind of deal as Universal. I don't really think Disney or MGM needed to open a studio in Florida to support their movie business.
It was supposed to be more of a working studio. The studio part of the business is run by people who live in CA. If you've ever been to Southern CA it's obvious why people had no desire to relocate to Orlando. The studio guys were not real interested in MGM Studios ever being much of a success.

lazyboy97o

It was supposed to be more of a working studio. The studio part of the business is run by people who live in CA. If you've ever been to Southern CA it's obvious why people had no desire to relocate to Orlando. The studio guys were not real interested in MGM Studios ever being much of a success.
Given how much business that Hollywood has lost, there most definitely has been interest in production occurring outside of California.

cookiee_munster

just out of curiosity, seeing as this orlando hollywood studio park will recieve some TLC like calis version (yes, i know its california adventure, but its pretty much stuff from hollywood studios mulched in)

will the paris version get some kind of rebrand/facelift?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom