Contemporary vs. Bay Lake towers

Sadielady

Original Poster
My family will be traveling with my Mother -in-law to disney. We have 2 boys (1 and 4) so we want to stay close to the Magic Kingdom. My husband wants to stay at Contemporary, but I think we might need 2 rooms (concerned about close quarters with 5 in one room). I was looking into a one bedroom villa and it appears to be a lot less expensive then 2 rooms at the contemporary. However, my husband is concerned that the villa may be too far from the monorail and dining at the main hotel. I was also wondering about the pull out sofa, is it comfortable? Thanks for any input.

Kamikaze

My family will be traveling with my Mother -in-law to disney. We have 2 boys (1 and 4) so we want to stay close to the Magic Kingdom. My husband wants to stay at Contemporary, but I think we might need 2 rooms (concerned about close quarters with 5 in one room). I was looking into a one bedroom villa and it appears to be a lot less expensive then 2 rooms at the contemporary. However, my husband is concerned that the villa may be too far from the monorail and dining at the main hotel. I was also wondering about the pull out sofa, is it comfortable? Thanks for any input.

If you're worried about the walk from Bay Lake Tower to the monorail station in Contemp Tower, you are going to have a huge issue with the parks.

Sadielady

Original Poster
Didn't mean to imply that I was worried about walking, but if I'm paying to stay at the contemporary I want to feel like I getting my money's worth. To me the draw of that resort is the monorail, I didn't want it to be a long way away.

disney4life2008

Out of curiosity - does Bay Lake Towers have its own dedicated bus service or are guests required to go to the contemporary for transportation?

epcotisbest

Didn't mean to imply that I was worried about walking, but if I'm paying to stay at the contemporary I want to feel like I getting my money's worth. To me the draw of that resort is the monorail, I didn't want it to be a long way away.
BLT is a beautiful, roomy resort. I would take a one bedroom there over two rooms in the Contemporary any day. Actually some rooms at BLT are a shorter walk to the monorail than some rooms at the Contemporary. We wound up just walking to the MK, and really enjoyed the walk.

MMDVC

Unless you are paying extra to stay in the main Tower of the Contemporary, the walk to the monorail and MK is longer. Don't forget the BLT location was part of the 3 buildings of the Contemporary before this wing was demolished and rebuilt as a DVC Resort. Double-check the rates before you forgo BLT because that wing is a much longer walk away from the monorail and MK and your husband will be really ed with your decision. I am a BLT DVC points owner. I love the location and the rooms. The studio is small tho. The one bedroom villa has 2 bathrooms and kitchen with washer dryer. The main living area has a pull out couch and a chair that opens to make a small twin size bed. Warning: The views are incredible form the BLT and it is hard to sleep. I find myself watching the sunrise and sunset.. the water boat activity from their earliest arrival to last departure... the monorail and every night the musical water pageant floats by and not to mention seeing the fireworks without being in that MK crowd!!!! Are you considering any other location and need advice?

MMDVC

I just re-read and want to clarify the BLT building is closer to the MK than the other- older Contemporary wing; which is huge and a long walk away from the main monorail tower that you see in all the WDW pictures with the monorail gliding thru. That older building should be demolished in my opinion but it is popular for conventioneer rates... but still nice if the rate is a good discount. Usually the main tower rates are very expensive.

LAM378

I found the pullout couch at BLT to be extremely comfortable. Ditto for the pullout chair. The mattresses were quite thick, and there was no metal poking through like you expect when you think of pullout beds.

If your room isn't on the ground floor or on the same floor as the skybridge (4th?), you have to take an elevator there first, then walk across. You can request a room near the skybridge elevators to minimize your walk to the CR, but it's not a long walk in any case. Maybe 5 minutes, tops, for the whole process--but it doesn't feel like it, especially since the views from the skybridge are breathtaking. At no point did I feel like it was a haul to walk to CR, or that I was far away from the action there. BLT isn't as huge as it seems.

epcotisbest

Thanks. We just booked 1 bedroom villa for April. Now I just have to wait!
Here is something to look forward to. View from our balcony at BLT last Sept.

image.jpg

slappy magoo

Thanks. We just booked 1 bedroom villa for April. Now I just have to wait!
Enjoy the waiting. Because of BLT's shape, some rooms on the outskirts might have more of a wait, by which I mean a minute or three, depending on a: how far you are from an elevator and b: your floor and how many stops your elevator will make any given trip. The walkway to the 4th floor to contemporary (where you'd go to access the escalator or elevator to monorail) is on BLT'S 5th floor, so you could always request that floor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom