Is there a "Master Plan"?

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
No water parks.
No third gate.
No Potter phase 3.

Hotel rooms. Hotel rooms. Hotel rooms. Any upcoming land purchases is 100% being made with hotels in mind.

And a RFID system with themed bands. Dont know if thats in the master plan but the hand, or wrist has been forced.
image.jpg

cheezbat

I'm sure there is a timeline in action and that time line requires certain achievements to pay for everything. If things go well then more projects will be coming if not the plans may turn out to be not as grand. Not saying that as a bad thing, Universal is doing a wonderful job over the last few years even if the immediate projects just get built it's still a large improvement. If they keep going then fine, can't say I like the Potter 3 idea and I really don't want to see a third gate till the two existing parks get filled up, (Disney??????).

Looks like everything is going well so I'm sure building will continue for now.
The good news is that Universal seems to be full steam ahead...and the parks are nearly full IMHO. (Two or three more big rides/dark rides and a nighttime show in Islands, a few smaller attractions and two or three more headliners and a new show at Studios and I think those parks would be complete.)

The talk of a third gate really excite me, seeing as how everything said by insiders make it sound like Uni wants a park that's a cross between IOA and Tokyo Disneysea. They've already got two great parks, with a potential top notch Waterpark on the way...and now possibly a third park on that scale? If done that way...my head may explode.

cheezbat

I would like to see a water park added right there as opposed to down the road at Wet-n-Wild. If I was in charge that would being built soon, goes perfectly with new hotels making Universal a one stop shop so to speak. If you add in Wet-n-Wild I can make Universal a 4 or 5 day destination. I have kids by the way and water parks are popular with that crowd. Also very popular with the Europeans for a nice day at the beach in sunny Florida while their home country is covered with snow and ice or for that matter the Northern people of the US who come to Florida for the nice winter weather.

Who knows for sure???? One thing is for certain Uni is on a rampage for now, where it ends no one knows?

I agree. As a former northerner (from the Waterpark capital of the world!) I grew to love waterparks growing up...even more so than theme parks!

I can't wait to see Uni's answer to everyone else's waterparks...and I truly hope to be blown away.

(I'd still like to see WNW survive too)

mm121

My Third Gate plus Waterpark plan would look something like this.

It would be hard land quisitions wise, would require some sneaky cover deals to avoid driving up prices.

I know they have some land by the convention center somewhere, but it has had environmental issues and is further from the core zone.

This plan adds
a full theme park, almost to the scale of IOA,
a full HUGE waterpark ideally with some type of indoor component
a third parking stucture,
(designed to handle traffic coming north on I-4 mostly and the new waterpark,
as current garages are ramped for easy access from the north)
Space for 4 hotels as needed
Space for expanded Entertainment District
People Mover System of Some Type Connecting 3 main areas
(new park, Citywalk, New waterpark) along with hotel/ entertainment district loop)
universal master.jpg

Last edited:

IAmFloridaBorn

My Third Gate plus Waterpark plan would look something like this.

It would be hard land quisitions wise, would require some sneaky cover deals to avoid driving up prices.

I know they have some land by the convention center somewhere, but it has had environmental issues and is further from the core zone.

This plan adds
a full theme park, almost to the scale of IOA,
a full HUGE waterpark ideally with some type of indoor component
a third parking stucture,
(designed to handle traffic coming north on I-4 mostly and the new waterpark,
as current garages are ramped for easy access from the north)
Space for 4 hotels as needed
Space for expanded Entertainment District
People Mover System of Some Type Connecting 3 main areas
(new park, Citywalk, New waterpark) along with hotel/ entertainment district loop)
View attachment 68768
Lol Far too expensive of a plan you have. Anytime something comes to trying to buyout residential, oh believe me prices get jacked!!

mm121

Lol Far too expensive of a plan you have. Anytime something comes to trying to buyout residential, oh believe me prices get jacked!!

agreed, it wouldn't be easy, but its not impossible either, the key is keep the plans secret, hence why no one truly knows what universals master plan is.

from a purely functional standpoint keeping the parks close together makes everything else easier, and keeping the resort cornered in by the freeway, avoids having to deal with new neighbor complaints

not sure they'd wanna try to go that route but there have been cases of using eminent domain for private project.

china moves entire neighborhoods cities all the time to make way for bigger projects, while that is frought for debate, it does eliminate 20 years of red tape.

if uni truelly wanted these surrounding properties the key would be to buy em under a million differnt corporations, and then rent them out for awhile to try to hide the true intentions until they own enough to make a difference.

this is one reason why suburba sprawl is so bad in this country, since its much easier to go buy a corn field than to peice together a large tract a 1/4th of a acre at a time.

mahnamahna101

The good news is that Universal seems to be full steam ahead...and the parks are nearly full IMHO. (Two or three more big rides/dark rides and a nighttime show in Islands, a few smaller attractions and two or three more headliners and a new show at Studios and I think those parks would be complete.)

The talk of a third gate really excite me, seeing as how everything said by insiders make it sound like Uni wants a park that's a cross between IOA and Tokyo Disneysea. They've already got two great parks, with a potential top notch Waterpark on the way...and now possibly a third park on that scale? If done that way...my head may explode.
IOA is about 2/3 finished
USF is about 3/4 finished (with DA)

A lot of this is because IOA and USF don't have the B, C and D tickets that DL, MK, Epcot, etc. have. Little things would go a long way at making both the very best in America.

IOA needs:
  1. An E ticket that doesn't get you wet in the top left of the park (Kong will fix this)
  2. A nighttime show
  3. A reworking of TL - take everything except Popeye and rework to maximize space (an E-ticket, a family dark ride, a show and a flat)
  4. Remove Doom and put something closer to ToT
  5. Enclose Storm Force and add SFX
  6. LED lights on Hulk trains
  7. Massive refurb of JPRA
  8. Rework the TE/Discovery Center area of JP (family coaster and Omnimover)
  9. Repurpose LC into something guests won't walk right past (add a ride) - either revamp (mainly for Mythos, Mystic Fountain and the Poseidon facade), retheme to Wonka (Glass elevator E-ticket, family boat ride and flat) or use for a Whoville mini-land (Grinch E-ticket, Horton dark ride, Seussical show). Also possibly Transylvania/Universal Monsters.
  10. Dark ride next to Cat (could be Lorax)
  11. Possibly a permanent stage show in the Grinchmas soundstage... annex it into the park?
  12. Massive refurb for Cat (better theming/FX since it doesn't spin and rework to have no height requirement)
  13. Massive reworking of Seuss Trolley - find a way to make the ride safe enough for a 34" height requirement
  14. Possibly a new flat ride along Sneetch Beach
  15. Reopen Island Skipper Tours - just as an extra
  16. More Streetmosphere/M&G
Pipe dream: Dragon Challenge removed for Forbidden Forest expansion (HP Phase 3). Great Hall added, FJ upgrades, side of show building is fixed. New attractions include relocated Hippogriff, Shrieking Shack/Quidditch show (either one), Triwizard Challenge E-ticket coaster, and Ford Anglia family dark ride (all-ages)

USF needs a lot less at this point

1. KidZone revamp/expansion
  2. Twister upgrades/replacement
  3. Reimagining of front entrance
  4. Shrek replacement (personally I'd move some Lucy stuff to the Gardens of Allah museum and use it/Shrek for a GMR-esque dark ride)
  5. Mummy upgrades
  6. Fear Factor replacement
  7. San Francisco revamp (Godzilla, Fast and Furious or Planet of the Apes... any of those would be good choices for a Disaster replacement) - have no idea what to do with Beetlejuice
  8. Use the MIB/Springfield expansion plot - really just give MIB some purpose. It's all alone in no man's land right now. Fear Factor/DA to the left, Springfield to the right... could use 2-3 attractions that complement it.
  9. Some sort of water ride
  10. A family dark ride (all-ages)
Pipe dream: Tokyo takes over FFL, MIB and the MIB/Springfield plot. Godzilla, Pokemon, Hello Kitty, and F&F as the lineup.

Both are great parks, but there's always room for improvement. Universal really needs more Disney-esque rides, while Disney needs more Universal-esque rides.

Oriolesmagic

:p

After Kong is completed (or before, I wouldn't complain), I think the next order of business for the existing parks is to work on replacements for the current Kidszone at Uni (Keeping only E.T.) and doing something with the embarrassment that is Poseidon's Fury.

Compared to the quality that Universal is producing now in order to challenge Disney, they can't afford to have something that terribly embarrassing in their parks any more. And I think they realize that.

Nick Wilde

After Kong is completed (or before, I wouldn't complain), I think the next order of business for the existing parks is to work on replacements for the current Kidszone at Uni (Keeping only E.T.) and doing something with the embarrassment that is Poseidon's Fury.

Compared to the quality that Universal is producing now in order to challenge Disney, they can't afford to have something that terribly embarrassing in their parks any more. And I think they realize that.
I personally don't think Poseidon's Fury is an embarrassment. I still love it, it's a great show, and the last part is amazing. But I have to agree, they need to do something with Kid Zone. It's always a ghost town back there, and there's a lot of potential for that land.

Oriolesmagic

I personally don't think Poseidon's Fury is an embarrassment. I still love it, it's a great show, and the last part is amazing. But I have to agree, they need to do something with Kid Zone. It's always a ghost town back there, and there's a lot of potential for that land.

Perhaps if I had gone to Universal all of my life, it would hold some sort of nostalgic grip on me. Alas, it does not. But as there are attractions that I enjoy that many others don't, I can understand where you're coming from.

If it's a pretty huge plot of land and I think eventually, Universal is going to take advantage of it.

mahnamahna101

Poseidon's Fury and Sinbad are people-eating shows... and there's entire sections of Toon Lagoon and JP that are not being utilized.

1. KidZone revamp
  2. Toon Lagoon front area (theater, carnival games, Comic Strip Lane... all of these are fairly disposable if they wanted to revamp TL or retheme it) - having that much empty space is just sad...
  3. JP upgrades/revamp - make the TE plot/Discovery Center noteworthy again.
  4. LC revamp/replacement
  5. Twister replacement (it's apparently coming up)
  6. IOA nighttime show
  7. Seuss upgrades/expansion - Cat has to become all-ages again, and an E ticket would be great as well.
  8. Disaster replacement/San Francisco revamp
  9. HP Phase 3 - upgrades for Hogsmeade and DA. No rush since Fantastic Beasts (HP spinoff) is going to release films until November 2020.
  10. Shrek replacement
  11. Front entrance (Production Central) remodel
  12. The MIB/Springfield plot - put something amazing there once everything else is complete. No rush on this since USF will be pretty well-rounded after KidZone is fixed.
That's how I'd rate the urgency of what needs or is going to be done.

KidZone could probably (with some reworking of backstage and a slice of the MIB/Springfield plot) fit...
  1. 1 new E-ticket dark ride (trackless, all-ages)
  2. Upgraded E.T. Adventure (including the return of the all-ages spaceship ride vehicles, new AAs, upgraded FXs, slightly altered storyline and a brand new facade/exterior queue)
  3. 1 family coaster (highly themed/immersive - more SDMT or Big Thunder... less Nuthouse)
  4. 1 water ride (Splash Battle is something not currently at Universal Orlando...)
  5. 1 show (something everyone can enjoy... no preschool shows or petting zoos. Also no need to have 2 kid-centric shows. 1 is enough)
  6. 1 play area (no need to have two - such a waste of space. Keep Curious George)
  7. 2 flat rides (take up little space and give the land some kinetic energy. Really only needed to fill in extra gaps. Also should be unique - not just a spinner or carousel)

Last edited:

Matt7187

KidZone could probably (with some reworking of backstage and a slice of the MIB/Springfield plot) fit...
  1. 1 new E-ticket dark ride (trackless, all-ages)
  2. Upgraded E.T. Adventure (including the return of the all-ages spaceship ride vehicles, new AAs, upgraded FXs, slightly altered storyline and a brand new facade/exterior queue)
  3. 1 family coaster (highly themed/immersive - more SDMT or Big Thunder... less Nuthouse)
  4. 1 water ride (Splash Battle is something not currently at Universal Orlando...)
  5. 1 show (something everyone can enjoy... no preschool shows or petting zoos. Also no need to have 2 kid-centric shows. 1 is enough)
  6. 1 play area (no need to have two - such a waste of space. Keep Curious George)
  7. 2 flat rides (take up little space and give the land some kinetic energy. Really only needed to fill in extra gaps. Also should be unique - not just a spinner or carousel)
One word: Spongebob.

Trust me, spongebob would be probably one of,if not the best ideas for kidzone. Younger kids watch it and love it, kids my age (14) and older still like it from when we were kids, and it is also a show that parents can enjoy because it is pretty funny. And both genders like it. That way, it isn't only geared to one group of people, like TMNT for young boys or something like that

mahnamahna101

One word: Spongebob.

Trust me, spongebob would be probably one of,if not the best ideas for kidzone. Younger kids watch it and love it, kids my age (14) and older still like it from when we were kids, and it is also a show that parents can enjoy because it is pretty funny. And both genders like it. That way, it isn't only geared to one group of people, like TMNT for young boys or something like that
If insiders hadn't mentioned that Nick and Uni are calling it splits or at least aren't making anything new for the parks, I would agree... for a mini-land. Give Nuthouse and Fievel's space to SpongeBob - cover up E.T.'s showbuilding with a Rock Bottom facade, then make E.T. an attraction for Hollywood with new queue and entrance.

I don't think I'd want all of KidZone to solely be SpongeBob though. I'd want multiple IPs in their own distinct mini-lands. Scooby-Doo, TMNT, MLP (just because of the Hasbro branding and because it gets Uni something for the little girl demo. I don't seriously see it happening), Smurfs (could look really good as a play area), etc... stuff that has been around for 20+ years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom