The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Animaniac93-98

Today must be a happy day for Bob Iger as 3 of the top 5 grossing domestic releases of the year all are from Disney (Cap 2, Maleficent & GotG). Even better, all 3 tie into one franchise or another (Marvel or Disney Princess).

lazyboy97o

See, that is how my way of thinking differs. Cringe, why? All of Magic Kingdom is fantasy. Every story is made up. Nothing is based on fact. It all comes from the imagination of the designers. What possible difference does it make if some people believe that this is what it was supposed to be. Their happy and you are unaffected. If they think it is supposed to be a wedding ring placed there for alert individuals to find, I fail to see the harm. It is as real as anything else you will find there. Please explain why it matters. While you're at it tell me why it's OK for them to decide that the Sword is really stuck in the stone.
And the stone is plastic, what's your point! Fence post, ring embedded in the sidewalk, ghosts appearing to be riding in your buggy, but, they aren't, what's the difference. It's not a matter of reality anywhere in the park, it is a matter of what people think they see. Fan fiction could actually be the fence post. I've been around for years and this is absolutely the first time I have heard that explanation. What makes that one any more real then the ring. Anything related to an explanation made by a fan about a fantasy theme park, is fan fiction.
It matters because all good fiction has rules.

Goofyernmost

It matters because all good fiction has rules.
OK, whose rules? The ring in the pavement idea has been around for years and years. I never heard, even once, Disney making any effort to end that idea. They must have known how harmless it was and how easily it fit into the existing story, if it wasn't intentional on their part to begin with. I think it is possible, but, it might not be, but, I am completely baffled by why it would make any difference. I still haven't heard why this newer revelation is any more true then the old one was.

the.dreamfinder

IMG_370143313801758_zpsdf489318.jpeg

Not my photo. But apparently no special sounds or lights on these bands like the others.
Jesus Disney, I thought you would have had retro EPCOT Center MagicBands out by now.

Bairstow

OK, whose rules? The ring in the pavement idea has been around for years and years. I never heard, even once, Disney making any effort to end that idea. They must have known how harmless it was and how easily it fit into the existing story, if it wasn't intentional on their part to begin with. I think it is possible, but, it might not be, but, I am completely baffled by why it would make any difference. I still haven't heard why this newer revelation is any more true then the old one was.

It's a question of critical theory.
If one's interest in theme park attractions is tied to appreciating the authorial intent of the attraction's creators, then a post hole must be a post hole.
If you're a formalist, however, feel free to call it a wedding ring if you like.

Captain Neo

I've finally had the opprotunity to ride star tours 2 and while I liked parts of it the whole package just isn't anywhere near the quality and charm of the original version. When the F is Tom Fitzgerald going to be shown the door? Why does he have to ruin everything??? They even got rid of the moving carts on the ceiling in the queue to save money so he can impress his boss!! arrrgghhh

Mike S

I've finally had the opprotunity to ride star tours 2 and while I liked parts of it the whole package just isn't anywhere near the quality and charm of the original version. When the F is Tom Fitzgerald going to be shown the door? Why does he have to ruin everything??? They even got rid of the moving carts on the ceiling in the queue to save money so he can impress his boss!! arrrgghhh
I just watched a video of the old ride to see exactly how it was again since it's been a while and I respectfully disagree. While the old one had some charm the new one is a big improvement in every way imo. I wish more of WDW's rides would receive the same kind of update.

MarkTwain

I just watched a video of the old ride to see exactly how it was again since it's been a while and I respectfully disagree. While the old one had some charm the new one is a big improvement in every way imo. I wish more of WDW's rides would receive the same kind of update.

Agreed. I can be hard on Imagineering, but I feel like their redo of Star Tours is one of the most successful major refurbishments of a ride in a long time.

Captain Neo

Star Tours 2 was everything a quality upgrade should be. Even if TDO didn't want it.

The redone pre-show is terrible compared to the original and the actual attraction needed some touch ups. IMO c3po piloting is a bad idea it should be an actual pilot droid with his/her own unique personality traits and the rebel spy plot line is dumb.

Goofyernmost

It's a question of critical theory.
If one's interest in theme park attractions is tied to appreciating the authorial intent of the attraction's creators, then a post hole must be a post hole.
If you're a formalist, however, feel free to call it a wedding ring if you like.
I think that is what I was saying. You go to your church, I'll go to mine. It doesn't do anyone any harm to believe it is the ring any more then it does harm to feel it's a post. It just doesn't matter what others might think it is and it is part of the "suspension of disbelief" theory. And yet again, no one has told me why the post theory is any more valid then the ring theory or vise versa.

Smiddimizer

The redone pre-show is terrible compared to the original and the actual attraction needed some touch ups. IMO c3po piloting is a bad idea it should be an actual pilot droid with his/her own unique personality traits and the rebel spy plot line is dumb.

A lot of it is contrived and comes across as being highly commercialized in comparison to its previous self. That's its strength and its weakness, really;it does such a bang-up job of encapsulating the spirit of six films that I can't even picture how they'll proceed with Star Wars Land while keeping the ride as it currently stands.

I'm with you on Threepio- Rex was a way more interesting guy and it seems like they just went with the obvious candidate to make it more "quintessentially STAR WARS" than it has to be. The rebel spy plot line though was ingenious. In the end it was just such a fresh coat of paint that you could overlook its shortcomings and appreciate the technology involved in bringing it back to date.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom