Which Moderate?

bee

Original Poster
Hi all! I usually stay off-site or at a value resort but I may have the opportunity for a trip in the near future to stay at either CBR, POFQ, POR, or CS. I stayed at POR with my parents for about a week when I was a teenager (12ish years ago) and CS for one night for a school program during college (6ish years ago). I don't remember much about either of them and I don't really have a strong opinion either way for any of these resorts. So, if you had the choice and all other things were equal, which of these four would you pick and why? If it helps, I will probably be at Epcot most days but will do some park hopping. Thanks!

Buzz2001

My family loves CSR! Besides having a great main pool area, CSR offers a few deluxe amenities at a mod price. They are home to the largest hot tub and one of the longest pool slides on Disney property. The pool, slide, arcade and playground area are all located at the main pool.

The rooms have queen beds, a sliding wooden door separating the sink area from the room (can be good for little ones napping in a pack n play) but only one sink. A resort rehab will begin in January 2015 to freshen up the rooms.

CSR also offers business class level rooms with access to the Coconino lounge. Other amenities include a fitness center, spa, free wi-fi, tanning beds, a sauna, salon, full menu room service and a night/dance club.

They offer the same toiletries as the deluxes (except GF). CSR has separate shampoo and conditioner instead of the shampoo/conditioner combo at the other mods and values (a small thing, I know, but it means I don't have to pack shampoo and conditioner).

Bus service is terrific and is not shared with another resort.

Bedknobs and Broomsticks

My DH & I spent out "Disneymoon" at POR in 2012 and loved it. We stayed in the "mansion" section and our room was beautiful and very spacious. The grounds are immaculate and the river running through is beautiful.The food court was great (but very busy in the morning.) The pastries and "make your own pasta" bar were delicious and reasonably priced. We enjoyed Yehaa Bob and a drink at the River Roost. The boat to DTD was a major plus... very relaxing and was easy to get to for dinners etc. The Cast Members were also wonderful.

We visited the FQ to try some beignets on our last trip in 2013 (we were staying at AKL) and could see why it is popular. Not as spread out as POR. Great menu options at the food court. Beignets are worth a trip there alone! If we were going to stay at a moderate again we would look at trying the FQ... but POR will always be near and dear to our hearts. :inlove:

bee

Original Poster
Thanks to all for your replies! Sooo what I'm getting is that anywhere is better than CBR? :)

ParentsOf4

I've stayed at all the Moderate Resorts, most multiple times. Really, there is no "best". My experience is that people's favorite is largely influenced by which theme appeals the most to them.

Below is a repost of something I wrote a while back to try to objectively evaluate the Moderate Resorts. Hope it helps but be warned, it might be a bit dated.

WDW has four Moderate Resorts (MRs):
  • Caribbean Beach Resort (CBR)
  • Coronado Springs Resort (CSR)
  • Port Orleans French Quarter (POFQ)
  • Port Orleans Riverside (POR)
People have their favorites but which one is the best? Realistically, there is no such thing as 'best'. In this case, 'best' is a matter of preference. However, it might be interesting to try to objectively evaluate the four MRs.

Note: Although the Cabins at Fort Wilderness were reclassified as "Moderate" in 2008, these still are part of the unique Fort Wilderness campgrounds and don't fit neatly into any traditional Disney resort category. Therefore, they are not listed as an option in the poll.

Below is my attempt to rate the 4 resorts. Please feel free to use whatever criteria you like.

Theming - All four resorts are extensively themed and well executed. Theming is consistent throughout the common areas, with plenty of lush vegetation. Which theming is 'best' primarily is a matter of taste. I award 1.0 point to each of the 4 MRs for this category.

Layout - POFQ is by far the smallest MR with all amenities within easy walking distance; 1.0 points. Although, POR is significantly larger, it's centrally located pool means it's a relatively easy walk from most rooms while the main building and food are still far from most rooms; 0.5 points. With large central lakes, most rooms are distant for the main facilities, 0.25 points to CBR and CSR.

Transportation - Compared to Deluxe or Value Resorts, bus transportation at the MRs are weak. However, accordingly to 'The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World', CSR has the best bus service of the four; 1.0 points to CSR, 0.5 to the other 3.

Pool - CSR and POR have large, interesting main pools with good water slides for children; 1.0 points to these 2 MRs. The main pool at CBR is slightly smaller and slightly less exotic; 0.75 points. The main pool at POFQ is significantly smaller with a water slide that's exciting for only the very young; 0.25 points.

Dining - POR has an excellent food court with a varied food selection and ample seating. POR also offers a good Table Service (TS) restaurant. 1.0 points to POR. CSR and CBR resort also offer good food court and TS options, although not as extensive; 0.75 points. POFQ has the smallest food court and no TS option; 0.25 points.

Rooms - All 4 MRs have identically sized rooms (314 sq ft) with nearly identical layouts. POR gets the slight advantage because its standard room can accommodate a 5th guest; 1.0 points to POR, 0.75 points to the other 3 MRs. (CSR offers suites but the prices of these go well beyond the typical price associated with MRs.)

Price - Although the MRs are priced similarly, the small POFQ tends to have the fewest, least agressively priced discounts offered, while CBR has the most; 1.0 point to CBR, 0.75 points to CSR and POR, and 0.5 points to POFQ.

Other - All four offer various forms of entertainment for families; 0.5 points to each resort. POR and POFQ offer water transportation to DTD, an additional 0.25 points.

Summary
Adding the above, the results are:
  • POR - 6.50 points
  • CSR - 6.00 points
  • CBR - 5.50 points
  • POFQ - 5.00 points
Note that I included a poll question for this. The results were:
  • POR - 32 votes
  • CSR - 25 votes
  • CBR - 6 votes
  • POFQ - 23 votes

Last edited:

acishere

Theme: All are beautiful resorts. It depends on what you are looking for. I personally love POR for this reason. It is probably the closest you can get to staying on Tom Sawyer Island. The New Orleans, Mexican beach resort, or Caribbean themes are just as good.
Room: I'd give this to CSR if you are good with two beds. If you have a small 2nd or 3rd child, I would give it to POR for the 5th bed. I think CSR has the best quality rooms of the 4 overall. The sliding door is much nicer than the curtains and I like the modern look. The renovation at CBR looks great, but I'm not going to suggest it until it is completed.
Pool: CSR or POR. Both have big main pools and lots of great smaller quiet pools.
Bus: CSR doesn't share and is better located overall.
Food and Drink: POR is my favorite resort QS and has the best TS of the mods. CSR has a nightclub if you like to go out at night. POR has Yeehaw Bob who I do not understand the appeal of. I'd rather he be somewhere that is not a bar. I'd rather go to POFQ for a nightcap if I'm at POR.
Amenities: CSR has a gym and spa. POR and POFQ have boat service to DTD. Also POR has a surrey bike rental. I'd give this one to CSR.
Resort Size: POFQ wins this hands down. Smallest and easiest to navigate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom