MagicBand waste

epcotisbest

Original Poster
So we got our new MagicBands yesterday and it occurred to me there is a lot of waste associated with these bands. I confess to being a Keurig user and worry about the waste generated by the single cup system as well, but the MagicBand waste just seems excessive.
First, there is the wasted resources in mailing them out, when they could just be issued at check-in. Then there is the cardboard box they are shipped in, then the box the bands are actually in, and associated packaging. It just seems like an unnecessary, environmentally unfriendly, natural resource wasting effort.
OK, I have vented. What do you think?

AndyS2992

Of course they are a waste. Once someone's trip is over, those bands become useless and will either just be chucked in a draw to gather dust or will be chucked out and left to rot in some landfill. With paper tickets you could easily just recycle them.

Rob562

Except the "paper" tickets weren't actually made of much paper...

And all of the things mentioned in the original post (box, inner box, shipping box) other than the Bands themselves *can* be recycled...

Bands can also be re-used from trip to trip.

-Rob

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Magic Bands are reusable until the battery dies. Checked into DME vs more paper waste. I also used my MB at MCO to Many members take their collection with them and wear different ones during their trips. Didn't need plastic key to the world room keys. I look at all the waste at Disney, from pop bottles, paper plate etc., it is not that I am not concerned but beyond my control. I am happier with a disposable cup in my room than a glass that I don't know how it has been handled or cleaned. I toss my stick from my Mickey Bar into the garbage and bought my kids glow sticks for the night shows. I put the babies in disposable diapers, brought disposable baby food to Disney.

Guess what I am getting at is why pick on a band that can be reused when we travel to our Happy Place where we all do so many other things multiple times a day that are anything but Green.

I love my Keurig too. If the concern is genuine there is a solution for that also.

51ZoLh0zx9L._SP160,160,0,T_.jpg

or
41ZH1srpnOL._SP160,160,0,T_.jpg

or
51tIsf4%2BBRL._AA160_.jpg

Gabe1

I don't like that I now have a tower of magic band boxes in my bedroom. I look forward to the day when the system Knows that I already have an active band and stops sending me new ones.

Curious. Why do you save the boxes? Do you save the boxes to everything you purchase? We in Illinois have recycling bins. The paper boxes and plastic inserts are recycled. Problem solved.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Curious. Why do you save the boxes? Do you save the boxes to everything you purchase? We in Illinois have recycling bins. The paper boxes and plastic inserts are recycled. Problem solved.
I only saved two of the many boxes we received with our bands. However, I still have ALL the bands...all are inactive except one of every color so I can coordinate with my outfits (same goes for DD and DH). I agree with @got2lovedisney in that the system should see the active bands and not send out new ones. Or there should be a way to "opt out" of receiving new bands.

Gabe1

I only saved two of the many boxes we received with our bands. However, I still have ALL the bands...all are inactive except one of every color so I can coordinate with my outfits (same goes for DD and DH). I agree with @got2lovedisney in that the system should see the active bands and not send out new ones. Or there should be a way to "opt out" of receiving new bands.

I can understand that, new MBs are just not something that makes me fret over. I recycled the boxes before we vacation. I wasn't thrilled about the whole system but I don't fight it, I just kinda roll with it. They send me a new one I slap it on and get on with my vacation.

Mawg

What should you do with them after your trip? There is no information on them, so can they just be thrown away? Should you cut it up?

GeekDad

The problem is that there is no way to tell if the battery has died. Sending out new ones each time means you have at least one band that has a working long range RFID.

ninjaprincesst

I just wish they would give you the option of paying an upcharge and getting one of the limited edition bands instead of getting yet more of the regular ones, or if they would get purple so I could get a color I actually want. I understand why they send new ones, but it is very wasteful.

ninjaprincesst

Me too, I pulled the cardboard insert with the little slots out so I could just use one box to store all the bands.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom