The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

WildcatDen

I'd say 20 years is a commitment.
Or. . . Should 20 years get you committed? As in, to an asylum?

I recall that famous line from the Naked Gun movies, "Move along, nothing to see here".

Disney has done absolutely NOTHNG to get me back anytime soon. If we make a trip to Florida in the next two years, it will be ONLY for Universal. (okay, and maybe Cape Canaveral)

imagineer boy

While not the article you are looking for there is a Marc Davis quote "We really don't have a story, with a beginning, an end, or a plot. It's more a series of experiences building up to a climax. I call them experience rides."

You see evidence of this ride experiences over storytelling in HM and the original Pirates before Jack Sparrow entered the picture.

Exactly. Rides like POTC, HM, Space Mountain, BTMRR, Jungle Cruise, and The Matterhorn are perfect examples of this. They have no story which typically involves "you are at this establishment for some sort of recruitment/ demonstration and oh no, something goes horribly wrong!" They're mostly a series of scenes that have a flow or narrative to them, but never any story.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Exactly. Rides like POTC, HM, Space Mountain, BTMRR, Jungle Cruise, and The Matterhorn are perfect examples of this. They have no story which typically involves "you are at this establishment for some sort of recruitment/ demonstration and oh no, something goes horribly wrong!" They're mostly a series of scenes that have a flow or narrative to them, but never any story.

This article (and the MD quote) is so misquoted and misapplied. Understand the difference between PLOT and story. The HM doesn't follow a plot that you follow with central characters - but it does have a story, setting, and classic dramatic structures.

Don't take the Marc Davis quote.. or the misapplied blog post to infer 'there is no story' or that 'story is wrong'. The man was only saying we don't have a specific storyline/plot you are following - so stop bugging me over why such and such a character is relative to someone else.

Mike S

While not the article you are looking for there is a Marc Davis quote "We really don't have a story, with a beginning, an end, or a plot. It's more a series of experiences building up to a climax. I call them experience rides."

You see evidence of this ride experiences over storytelling in HM and the original Pirates before Jack Sparrow entered the picture.
Thanks that's exactly what it was but it was an article written by someone based on that quote. Guess it would be too difficult to scour the web for it so the quote by itself will do just fine.

Mike S

Just getting ready to post that. It's been discussed a lot.

Here's an article from 2010 covering a similar topic. Don't remember seeing this discussed:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2010/07/15/the-harry-potter-world-has-no-plot.html
Both articles are great reads. @flynnibus you found the exact one I was talking about. Would've taken me much longer to find it since I forgot most of it, thanks.

doctornick

Just getting ready to post that. It's been discussed a lot.

Here's an article from 2010 covering a similar topic. Don't remember seeing this discussed:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2010/07/15/the-harry-potter-world-has-no-plot.html

An interesting article and, ironically, I would argue the exact opposite point of the article: what makes WWOHP great is the immersion into the Wizarding World where you experience it without being tied to a specific story. Where the lands IMHO become less accessible is where it emphasizes Harry Potter and friends too specifically where it's most interesting only if you are fan of the books/movies.

In particular, I think the Hogwarts Express was a bit of a letdown. The technology is impressive, but it was sort of like a M&G -- cool to say "hey, there's Hagrid" or "Harry Potter was just outside the door" but not really all that engaging unless you already knew and cared about HP and the stories and wanted to be a part of them.

Cesar R M

All is not well in Mudville... and I think the distractions in the back of house aren't helping.
As someone who has visited countless of forums and discussion sites.
I can say the cycle is normal.

Its pretty simple.

Any website that grows and gets popular.. will start to get the "crap" of the population. (aka trolls, uneducated folks, people who only stirr trouble and attention seekers).
Then you reach a time, where the 50% or more of the active discussions, is filled with these undesirable ones
then they start to scare away the real forum members.

Then...the site gets into disarray when more than 20% of the entire site are undesirable ones. The people finally get fed up on them and find the best alternative website... to repeat the cycle.
It obviously depends on how the moderation works. sites with zero moderation always fall faster.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Its pretty simple.

Any website that grows and gets popular.. will start to get the "crap" of the population. (aka trolls, uneducated folks, people who only stirr trouble and attention seekers).
Then you reach a time, where the 50% or more of the active discussions, is filled with these undesirable ones

Then...the site gets into disarray when more than 20% of the entire site are undesirable ones. The people finally get fed up on them and find the best alternative website... to repeat the cycle.
It obviously depends on how the moderation works. sites with zero moderation always fall faster.

I'm sorry - none of this reflects what has happened there

Mike S

Its pretty simple.

I used to comment on a site with zero moderation. There were basically no rules and some of it got really nasty (you should've seen what someone said about Robin Williams dying). I still go there to check out news but I don't comment any more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom