Beauty and the Beast is Messed Up

plaz10

Last edited:

lebeau

Original Poster
And here's another thing- the castle isn't that far from the village. So how is it no one in town knew? Certainly, ten years prior isn't that long ago, and even if all the castle's staff lives on site and they're completely self-sufficient food wise, trade must have been going on with the village in some fashion. For that to suddenly dry up and no one asks questions is suspicious. And no one went exploring or got lost like Maurice?

This whole discussion reminds me of an article...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/donnad/questions-disney-forgot-to-answer-about-beauty-and-the-be#46besyp

Especially the part about the time traveling portrait. If the Prince was 11 when turned into a beast - why is the portrait of him (that he tore up as Beast) when he's 21 - what he turns into once he's human? But that isn't what he looked like when he was 11! How did the portrait know he would look that way? Haha!

Both of those points are covered in the article. I'm telling you, the movie is messed up!

prberk

Well, who is familiar enough with (a) the original fairy tale, or (b) the popular '80s/'90s TV series of the same, to tell whether any of these inconsistencies are portrayed in those versions of the story? I would be curious to know.

I know 10 years has gone by, but I wonder if they simply stopped aging when the curse began and the prince was turned into a beast while the servants were turned into objects.

Of course, it is all an allegory, but it is fun to talk about these things, and to see if any of the authors ever thought about them.

Kind of like discussions of how the Brady Bunch house inside layout for upstairs never matched the outside view of the house.

Bairstow

I feel compelled to post this. Aside from the hilarious point-by-counter-point breakdown of the Gaston song, it might be the best example of Heel Commentary in a non-wrestling context I've ever seen.

GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY!
GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY!
THAT KILLED HIM!
AS GOD AS MY WITNESS, HE IS BROKEN IN HALF!!!

tumblr_lu32b6PYQD1qhigt0o1_500.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom