Frozen - Let it Go, my confession

Magenta Panther

You do know that the Demi version was highly autotuned for the video, right?

She's a breathy singer. Average voice, very little expression or soul without a multi-million dollar operation behind her to package her product.

Lets compare live performances.

Demi

Idina

Ignore the revurb from the latter video (which led to some of the tempo issues).

Listen to the difference in the strength of the two voices (without processing and autotune).

Demi's vibratto (as an example) tends to go flat, instead of sharp, which really doesn't work...and she seems forced on the edge of her range (and, this isn't a challenging song).

I prefer her processed version (it's very pop song-ish)...but, I know it's processed and she's a less capable signer / musician, rather, she's another product.

See, this is why I hate "gurl" singers. They all sound the same, they all whine a lot, and they got no soul. I really hate hearing them during the castle projection show and World of Color. Makes it all seem infantile. Probably the Disney marketing dept. thinks using "gurl" singers to sing Disney songs makes the shows more relevant or something, but really, they just crap them up.

FitzherbertFreak

Yes! I agree! I agree! I agree! However, I don't agree! Demi is typical, but Idina's voice is way too old. I prefer her as Elphaba, thank you. Though I will admit, I hope Idina plays Elsa for Frozen on Broadway.

AngieTink27

DH doesn't get it but I guess it is a chick thing. :happy:;) I love LOVE Let I Go. I belt it out in the car when nobody is looking. :happy: sometimes in the shower. The tune makes it so easy for most ladies to sing, and it empowers us with the lyrics. Now if it is my favorite song from Disney, that would be hard to tell. All I can say is that I am currently hooked on it and it's ease to duplicate vocally. Beautiful song all around.

Magenta Panther

DH doesn't get it but I guess it is a chick thing. :happy:;) I love LOVE Let I Go. I belt it out in the car when nobody is looking. :happy: sometimes in the shower. The tune makes it so easy for most ladies to sing, and it empowers us with the lyrics. Now if it is my favorite song from Disney, that would be hard to tell. All I can say is that I am currently hooked on it and it's ease to duplicate vocally. Beautiful song all around.

I think it resonates because it's a song of defiance. It's all "I'm me and you can all just deal". :cool: I don't think it's anywhere near as good as the Disney classics, like "Wish Upon A Star", "Circle of Life", "Chim-Chim Cheree" or even "Almost There", so I wonder just how strong its legacy will be.

BigTxEars

Great song, a classic and very well done as it fits into the visuals of the movie. Demi's version lacks the soul or the timing of the movie version, the lyrics are sung so much better in the movie that it is a night and day comparison I would say.

Aquira

I definitely think Idina suited Elsa. How young do you need her to sound? IMO I think its neat to have a different sort of voice. It shows that Elsa is older and more mature/damaged than the typical princess. Plus, girls have different voice types. Even back in high school choir I remember noticing how different all the voices sounded. I don't think there is anything wrong with having a mature sound. Especially since Anna is so bubbly, it provides contrast. ;)

TomHendricks

Demi Lovato = girl who can't sing or act but yet making millions
Very true, history is replete with people like this. Bruce Springsteen doesn't sing very well, makes millions. Bob Dylan can't sing to save his life, but makes millions. There are plenty of "singers" who can't sing and make millions.

NMBC1993

When it comes to Let It Go....I've never really been a fan, but I will agree it's the best song in the Frozen catalog. As I've said in the past, I'm a male who's a single child so I never felt that "sisterhood" vibe from the film.

Also, it seems that my favorite Disney songs come from films that are not on people's radar, call me a hipster but I love music that never becomes mainstream.

I'd rather the radio stations play this song on a loop, but that is never going to happen in my lifetime

(P.S. Happy 10th Anniversary Teacher's Pet :D)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom