Trip Report Been Back for 10 Months, what better time to write the TR...

Hey oh! I'm back on the boards! There was a long time when I was just too exhausted from working 14 hour days/not being at a computer at work for said 14 hours where I wasn't on these boards much, if at all. The combination of the work hours + not knowing when we'll be back in WDW meant I had to keep away or else I'd find myself longing for the lost World... Disney World (lost because I won't be there for a while). Well, I'm back at a desk job since February and slowly started reintegrating myself into the boards since. After much reading, and much more reading, and some talking with my gf about how "I should really write that trip report" it's finally time that I really DO write THIS trip report.

For those of you who don't know (or remember since it's been so long), I'm AJ and my travel partner/gf is Alex (Lexi on the boards). Here I am bothering her before we enter Animal Kingdom:
wdw201328312012405.jpeg

Nice necklace she has there right? Yeah, I found that on the street outside a restaurant after we had dinner one night. BOOM!

Our dates down in the World were October 9, 2013 (yikes) to October 16, 2013. A nice eight down jaunt during the Food and Wine Fest (a triumphant return, we'd been during 2010, but skipped it our next trip).

Any way, her and I teamed up to work on the PTR for this trip about, oh... 16 months ago. For all the things I don't remember being written by the two of us you can click this link. I hope you enjoy gratuitous food photos and a lot of digression because it is now time for what you actually came for, a Trip Report!

Day 1, October 9:

After a disappointing night of staying up late to watch the Rangers get dismantled by the by the SJ Sharks in San Jose (of course the game started at 10 PM) it was an early wake up call to catch the first flight out of JFK on JetBlue down to MCO (who on these boards really doesn't know what MCO is? We're all obsessed, we all know the airport code). We always end up getting the cheapest flight down there from JFK, it helps that Alex's parents live a 15 minute drive from the airport and that JetBlue gives the "one free checked bag per person" since our trips to WDW are the only time I'll travel with a suitcase.

We landed at MCO a little before 10 AM and were on our way to the DME bus. I won't get over how great DME is, I just throw a pair of shorts and a few other essentials in my carry-on in case our bags take longer to get to the hotel than expected. By 11 AM we were at our resort and in our room. We were thrilled that our room was ready when we got there (we've yet to have an issue with this, fingers crossed, knock on wood, whatever you want to say about that). We were staying at Pop Century and we're pretty impressed with the room to be honest. We had stayed at All-Star Movies back in 2010 and weren't too sure what to expect from Pop. All told, we were happy with it. Growing up in the 90's I wasn't too pumped when I found out our room number:

IMG_2619.JPG

I was hoping for the 50's, 60's or 80's (even though I was born in the 80's, maybe that's why I have an affinity for the decade). Any who, here's a shot of our room:

IMG_2371.JPG

IMG_2370.JPG

Not too shabby eh? We prefer the two beds because we like to live as if we're in an episode of I Love Lucy. That's actually not true, the second bed always end up being something or a souvenir/park maps space.

I don't remember where I spotted this (there might be more of this in this TR considering it was 10 months since we were there), but I'm glad I got a shot of it:

IMG_2945.JPG

Is it me or is 1986 the easiest year on this to spot? Maybe because it's the best year ever, without it, you wouldn't be so lucky to have this awesome TR to read. Also, without it, there'd be some serious funny business going on in the space time continuum.

Enough of this resort business, we didn't come here to spend time in the room (which is why we booked a value). We were in WDW and it was time to hit the parks! What better way to get yourself in the Disney spirit on your first day in the World than by making your first stop Magic Kingdom? Is there a better way? There really isn't.

IMG_2373.JPG

Hello beautiful, you big lush green bush you. Oh, wait, I mean you back there! Isn't she a sight for sore eyes? (That's a phrase I've never understood, if my eyes are sore I don't want to be seeing any sights, I want to close my eyes. Depending on how sore maybe with a bag of ice on them.) Anyway! We wasted no time heading over to Tomorrowland (because it's the best) and hit up Space Mountain (because it's the best). You can't tell it's us in this photo, but I know it is. We're like shadow people (except much less horrifying):

IMG_2378.JPG

Having gotten the momentous "First Ride" taken care of it was time for the (to me, in this case) less momentous "First Meal." For this we went over to Cosmic Ray's. It's something of a habit for us to get some QS meal when it comes to the first meal of the trip, something about being up since 5 AM and being on a plane for a few hours doesn't lend itself kindly to an elaborate sit down meal the first time I eat while I'm in WDW. (One or both of us would probably fall asleep at the table.) So what did this delicious first meal consist of? Alex decided on the kid's chicken nugget meal (because WDW has some awesome chicken nuggets, and lets not even get into the fries, they're the best) and I went with a plain old hot dog. Plain. Old. Hot Dog. Except when I hit up that sweet fixins' bar! Plain old hot dog? NAY! More like AMAZING CHEESE DOG WITH DICED ONIONS!

IMG_2380.JPG

This is not really the type of meal that lends itself to a review in this space, it gets the job done. It's very good (I like hot dogs more than any normal person should, and WDW has some good dogs) and after being up rather early and on a plane it's good enough to supplement the adrenaline we work on on our first day in the World. After lunch we decided to grab a pair of Fast Passes to Buzz because, well because we could still. We knew that this would most likely be our last chance to get legit paper Fast Passes, so we got as many as we could. Look at these beauties:

IMG_2381.JPG

Don't get me wrong, I think the Magic Band is pretty awesome. We only had one or two little hiccups while using ours on this trip when it came to Fast Pass usage, getting in the room the only reason it wouldn't work at the end of long days would probably be user error/laziness/exhaustion. There is something about those little paper tickets getting spit out of those Fast Pass machines though that I will miss. Oh well, onward and upward, or whatever they say.

To be honest, from what I remember there wasn't much of a line for a lot of the rides we got paper Fast Passes for. We did it more for a little collection of our own, when we did need to use the we would, but for the most part, we still have them. Back to Buzz, basically every on ride photo we have from Buzz throughout our three trips Alex and I have the same general look on our faces. That look is something like this:

wdw201328211739081.jpeg

I get very, very into this ride. Very into it. After such an intense spin on Buzz we decided to relax a bit on the PeopleMover.

ArtieJim

Original Poster
Day 1 - Part 2:

I should mention that on this trip we decided to bring a little travel buddy with us. Any of you that are familiar with Zane Lamprey and any of his work will know Pleepleus. Well, Pleepleus joined us on this trip. How could we go to WDW during Food & Wine and not bring Pleepleus? He is, after all, the official party monkey. Here he is, taking in the sites on the PeopleMover.

IMG_2390.JPG

He wasn't the only one enjoying these great views:

IMG_2391.JPG

IMG_2393.JPG

IMG_2393.JPG

This really is one of my favorite rides in MK. It's just so relaxing, and I love going through Space Mountain and looking down on Buzz. It's just so great and so relaxing. Gets me ready for a full day in the park. After this we wanted to keep moving, despite my pleas to go on Carousel of Progress (which Alex hates, but I love and will always love. Maybe she's jealous that I love CoP first) we decided to check out what there was of the New Fantasyland. The last time we were in WDW was Christmas/New Year's 2011 so there really wasn't much to see during that trip, I think they just put up the shell of Beast's Castle, but aside from that, just a lot of exposed innards of things.

There was a bit more this time around... Oh, hello miss.

IMG_2399.JPG

Any one in there?

IMG_2400.JPG

I don't think any one is home. The Mine Train was still a ways away from being finished while we were there, but it was pretty cool to see the guys working on it at night when we would be in Fantasyland after dark (especially during those late EMH, unfortunately I don't think I have any shots of that going on):

IMG_2401.JPG

I think it looks pretty cool up there, but, I bet it's a lot more cool now that it's finished. This ride is actually one of the main reasons I'm excited to get back to WDW (although that probably won't be for another year or two... poop, most likely two). Our next 'visit' was to see the Tangled restroom area. I don't know why I was so interested in follow all the posts/updates about this rest stop on this site when it was being remodeled. I have to say, I was pretty impressed, especially for a restroom area, but then again, it's WDW and I shouldn't have been too surprised at the lengths they go to make even their bathroom areas look awesome:

IMG_2403.JPG

It's so cool! The USB plug ins are pretty great too, we didn't use them (there's no way that I'm sitting around charging my phone while I'm in WDW, I leave the hotel with my battery at 100%, if it dies during the day, it dies, but I'm on vacation, I'm not stopping for half hour to get some juice in my phone) but they're still a great idea for people that are too attached to their phones. Once Alex had had enough of me gawking at the bathroom area, which she must have said, "come on, it's a bathroom!" at least five times, we made our way over to (what is now no longer) The Yankee Trader. I don't know what it was about this place, but I always enjoyed it in here, nice small shop with some fun Disney stuff, I think it's high time Haunted Mansion gets a dedicated shop/photo on the ride, but I will miss the Yankee Trader. I like the small shop that have fun Disney stuff, something about the big group of attached stores in Main Street and the World of Disney Downtown just don't do it for me. Too large, just not for me. Either way, I hope they keep this sweet game in the newly renovated Yankee Trader (or whatever they call it once it reopens), because I'm upset I didn't buy it while we were down there:

IMG_2405.JPG

First - Life is one of my favorite board games (a close third behind Clue and Trivial Pursuit). Second - The Haunted Mansion. What else needs to be said? I like how the top left corner says "Now With One-Time Assembly," it's the Game of Life, if you need to assemble it more than once, you shouldn't even be playing it. This is going to be a definite purchase next time I'm at the World, no two ways about it. (Next time I write PTR, someone please remind about that statement.) After a quick spin on Haunted Mansion, where we were pretty much rushed inside (which was AWESOME since a group of about 15 went through the interactive line, we saw those doors open and stayed to the right) we made our way over to Frontierland, since y'know it's the natural progression of things when you start out in Tomorrowland. I should say that it was rather hot that first day we were down in WDW, so we were pretty excited to hit this beaut:

IMG_2406.JPG

Unfortunately for us the lines crazy long because of the heat? and because it was midday (about 2:30 - 3 PM by now). That's ok, we could still feel the breeze in our hair by taking a ride on that runaway train over at Thunder Mountain. I always forget how close these two rides are, so after a thirty second walk we looked at the stand-by line and saw... 100 minutes. Uh, what? Ok, ok, so maybe we'll just explore a little bit. For those of you that read our last trip report, you know that Alex LOVES taking pictures of the light fixtures down in WDW. The fun part about all the photos she took during that trip was that while I was writing the TR I didn't realize just how many she had taken until about half way through, so I decided to make a "drinking game" out of it. Participation is clearly optional (although highly recommended), and you can drink with whatever you like (although we all know what would make it most fun). As I've been looking through the photos from this trip I've noticed not as many photos of light fixtures, but there are still a good amount of them. For that reason, I am reinstating the AJ and Alex Trip Report Light Fixture Drinking Game. I do have one small addendum to this rule, every time you see our travel buddy Pleepleus in a photo DRINK! Remember, this TR takes place during F&W, so we did our fair share of it. Every one get those rules? Light fixture picture (not a light fixture in a picture, a picture OF a light fixture, unless you really want to have a good time) - drink. Pleepleus in a picture (any where in a picture) - drink. Hope so, and I hope it makes this TR more fun for you all. (DISCLAIMER: I'm not, by any means, suggesting that you, the reader, drink alcohol with each light fixture/Pleepleus sighting. "Drink" is just a fun way of making this TR more interactive for you and me both. I am curious to know what you're drinking though if you do partake in this game, so please, feel free to leave a comment about what you've decided to go with for this game. Enjoy!)

Coming up... Alex starts to pay attention to light fixtures.

Mom@disney

It's never too late to report your trip. My DH purchased the Haunted Mansion Game of Life on our last visit. We are big HM fans ( who isn't? ) and we love it. Looking forward to reading the rest.

ArtieJim

Original Poster
Day 1 - Part 3:

I told you it was going to happen:

IMG_2407.JPG

I like this set up on the bureau here:

IMG_2410.JPG

But Alex was more impressed with the light:

IMG_2412.JPG

As Brick Tamland once said, "I love lamp." Alex loves lamp. After relaxing out of the sun for a fair amount of time it was time to be on the move. It was time we took a cruise. The original Disney Cruise if you ask me. But first, saw gentleman decided to "pop up" and wave hello:

IMG_2418.JPG

Wait a minute here. Are Alex and I about to go on the Jungle Cruise or Pirates? Seriously, what's this guy doing over there? Aside from bothering the ducks, shouldn't he be over by Tortuga Tavern or something? Enough of the pirate over here, I'm about to see some wildlife.

IMG_2420.JPG

Pardon the glare in this photo, I have one identical without any glare, but I prefer the clouds in this shot.

IMG_2427.JPG

Can the kind folks at WDW Imagineering just toss a bed/cot and some minor amenities in there so I can shack up for the night? Man, that'd be so sweet. I'd sit out on that rocking chair all day with a corn cob pipe that blows bubbles waving to all the people hopping on and off the boats. I could post shots of all the signs that we all post on our TRs from this queue but I don't want to have to make you all see those for the billionth time, except for this one:

IMG_2431.JPG

And that's because Casablanca is one of Alex and my favorite movies (keep an eye out for me mentioning this again when I post about our time in MGM, you know what I'm talking about). After a short wait, our vessel was ready to receive us:

IMG_2433.JPG

She must be named after a real sweet lass. This next one is one I don't see often on TRs when it comes to people's time on The Jungle Cruise, and it's my favorite spot in the ride (visually):

IMG_2445.JPG

Those rules down there do not apply when it comes to the reading of my trip reports. ESPECIALLY when being read in groups (if you're reading this in a group setting, please tell me you're following the Light Fixture game rules to the fullest):

IMG_2453.JPG

Last edited:

ArtieJim

Original Poster
Day 1 - Part 4:

I refused to leave MK on our first day without hitting at least TWO of the mountains. Space being our first, I was determined to hit either Splash or Thunder, so we went on our way back over to those two. Due to wait time we decided on Thunder Mountain, nothing wrong with that! For some reason or other I always think of that old Soul Asylum song "Runaway Train" when I'm on line at Big Thunder Mountain. Why? Uh, runaway trains? Duh. Anyway, Alex found something to be obsessed with...

IMG_2454.JPG

I like the photo next to it, but it turns out this little guy was a stray from an entire family!

IMG_2457.JPG

After our runaway train righted itself we decided to stroll a bit, but not before Alex got herself a few shots of that wild ride we had just left:

IMG_2466.JPG

I feel like this sign was trying to hide from us:

IMG_2469.JPG

Nice try my friend. You can't hide from us! There seems to be a picture of me from each of our trips with me wearing this hat:

IMG_2474.JPG

That facial expression looks like I just said something along the line of "my head is too big for this hat." To which Alex probably replied, "make the hat bigger." The hat was as big as it would get. I got a big head. You know who else has a big head? Mickey Mouse, and he's all right with me. We were just about on our way out until I had had enough. I wasn't leaving, I wanted the trifecta! But first, I wanted some horses!

IMG_2477.JPG

We finally made it! With a minimal line!

IMG_2478.JPG

Man, I love a trip through the Brer Rabbit's Laughin' Place. I love laughin', especially when there's no 'g' at the end. The ride looked great after the refurb they had down earlier in the year (remember, this is 2013). It was nice to see everything up and running. It upsets me reading all these TRs where people are on the rides more to find out what's wrong with them/what didn't get fixed during the latest refurb. Come on everyone, just enjoy it. You're in the happiest place on Earth! We need to all stop making excuses as to why we weren't happy for one reason or another! (Although, I will air some grievances as this TR goes on, but I hope nothing too ostentatious). Alex always loves the queue at Splash Mountain, can you imagine why?

IMG_2483.JPG

IMG_2484.JPG

IMG_2487.JPG

She loves these things!

ArtieJim

Original Poster
IMG_2488.JPG

It's almost like it's the only reason she agrees to go on this ride so much. Boy, hope you're all ok after that explosion of light (ya like that one?) Jeez, well, we finally made it!

IMG_2489.JPG

Thrown in the back like third class citizens. Thrown in the bottom of the barrel like Jack Dawson on the Titanic, and it did NOT end well for him. Fortunately, we made it out alive, but if you look closely at this picture:

IMG_2492.JPG

That lodge dropped and we got soaked. But why go on Splash Mountain if you're afraid to get a little wet, right? It's all part of the fun. After this ride we wanted to get a few shots of us since we didn't see many photopass photogs on our way in and around the park thus far (which will be a recurring theme). But firsts:

IMG_2499.JPG

IMG_2500.JPG

Nice guys those mice, helping out Cindarelly and all. Here we are, all smiles because we know that once we leave MK we're on our way to Epcot to embrace the F&W Fest after a long day (even though it was only about 4 PM when we left).

wdw201328211739244.jpeg

Hope you enjoyed the first half of day one. When I get back to it tomorrow, night one of our journey around the World. Thanks for reading!

Princess_Amelia

Sounds like you had a great start to your trip! Hope the rest of it was just as good! Can't wait to read the rest...And hey, better late then never with the TR!

Princess_Amelia

I'm really enjoying this TR! We're going back in April and staying at Pop. How was the bus transportation there?

We always stay at Pop and we love it there. Bus service runs pretty smoothly, although it can get really crowded, with the occassional late bus, but if they have a problem with one, they normally send out another. One more thing; if you've never stayed there and used their bus transportation, have fun finding the bus stop for Pop when you're at the parks! It's always the farthest/hardest to find, but other than that it runs about as well as the other hotels on property (...I'm assuming...)

ArtieJim

Original Poster
I'm really enjoying this TR! We're going back in April and staying at Pop. How was the bus transportation there?

Exactly what Princess_Amelia said. So be prepared for that long walk after a long day/night in the parks. The thing that bothered me most was having to walk past all the other Value bus stops. I always thought Pop was supposed to be the #1 value resort (before AoA anyway).

ArtieJim

Original Poster
Day 1 - Part 5 (really?):

We made it back to Epcot! I have to be honest, as much joy as seeing the Cinderella Castle brings me there's just something about seeing that giant beautiful golf ball that is Spaceship Earth. You really can't top that feeling for me when it comes to WDW. Hello beautiful:

IMG_2502.JPG

I mean look how happy we look!

wdw201328211819334.jpeg

We joke that we should have moved over a little bit to my right so that Alex's hand covered the word "FOOD" instead of "WINE," because we all know the real reason for going to Epcot during this time of year. We had our eyes set on the World Showcase, or so Alex thought. There's no way I was walking past SSE without taking a spin through history.

IMG_2503.JPG

Oh man, isn't this the best ride ever? You can say no, but I'm saying it is and I'm the one writing this, so there. Sunsets in WDW are so great, aren't they? And this isn't even the best one, but there's just something about them. Maybe because there's probably 3/4 pollution down there than there is up here where we live.

IMG_2506.JPG

OK, OK, time to cut to the chase, I know. The main reason we left MK on day one was to get some eats (and lots of drinks!) at the Food & Wine Festival! I'm curious how every one else stars their trip around the world? Alex and I always start by going right and heading toward Canada (except for this time actually). The maps and the F&W Marketplace Discovery Passport all have Mexico as the first pavilion in the World Showcase. I don't know, something about being born and raised in America, I just always stay to the right when walking (something more people should do at WDW) and when faced with the decision to start by going right or going left, I go right. I'm also right handed, so maybe that's why. Now, if I had two left feet, I'm sure I'd go left every time... sorry, more digression.

After all that and the first place I go this time was Mexico for some seriously delicious shrimp taco action.

IMG_2507.JPG

IMG_2509.JPG

I went with the shrimp taco, which had a little too much of that purple cabbage on it for me (but that was easy enough to just pick off) but aside from that was awesome. Nice little spice to it, I've come to enjoy spice way too much (dousing food with hot sauces) but it's always nice to enjoy food that's got a nice spice and done right. As for the drink up there, that's the Mango-Habanero Margarita. A little too sweet for me, I do love mango though, so the taste was nice, but as I just said about liking spice, I had hoped this margarita would have some more spice to it. I did like how it was not blended, I really hate blended margaritas, but that's just me. Maybe they were worried that it would be too spicy for just the regular joe walking up to the booth and ordering this drink. Oh well, they got the job done. For any one that might be going to the F&W this year, if that shrimp taco is there, definitely go for it. After this meal we made an about face to the right the wrong (because we went to the right, toward Canada, get it?) Alex let me get my Mexican, so it was time for her to get her champagne.

IMG_2510.JPG

She's very particular about her champagnes and sparkling wines, so she went with the Moet & Chandon Imperial. She said it was pretty good, but it didn't last long since we were soon upon France, the land of Alex's all time favorite drink in the World/world. The Grey Goose Lemon Slush:

IMG_2514.JPG

She does not fool around when it comes to this drink. This one was the first of many, and on our trip before this (ten days) she must have had at least 15. It's definitely something we factor in to our savings when we book a trip to WDW. Vodka is not really my thing, nor is too much of a sweetened lemon flavor (I don't really like lemonade), but she likes it and she's happy with it, so every one's happy.

cfry06

Great start to the report! Enjoying your commentary. Love Zane, and so fun to see Pleepleus joined you on the trip!! Will we see the "good burp" sign flashed during the report as well?

Looking fwd to more. We are headed to food and wine in 35 days, can't wait. Thanks for sharing!

ArtieJim

Original Poster
Day 1 - Part 6:

While Alex was happily sipping away on her lemon slush it was a slow stroll for us over to Morocco so I could get myself some Casa Beer.
IMG_2515.JPG

Sorry for the crudity of the pictures of these menus, but, with people standing six inches in front of them to read them and generally just moseying about and stopping to stand in front of them, we did the best we could.

"One Casa please... and, uh, a bud... And two stamps!" Getting stamps in the F&W passport makes drinking around the world that much more fun!

IMG_2516.JPG

Since we were in no hurry to hit every kiosk and pavilion in the WS on our first of seven night on this vacation (we also had an ADR for Teppan Edo) we took our time strolling and sipping. Our (my) next destination for tonight was the Brewer's Collection:

IMG_2520.JPG

I went with beer flight #1, which included:

IMG_2522.JPG

Here's a better look at the beers themselves, unfortunately this is the best we could do light wise, any time we would use the flash the foam would really just attract all the light and make it impossible to see anything else.

IMG_2521.JPG

The cool thing about these flight holders is that they have numbers in the middle that correspond with the card so that you know what you're drinking. If you take a look up at the top left of those beers, that's #1, the grapefruit, and boy did it taste like it. It wasn't tart, but it was definitely refreshing, although it's the type of beer I'm happy I had the size I did, I can't picture myself having more than a pint of this. To the right of #1 is #2, Altenmuster Oktoberfest. This is the same Oktoberfest beer that you can get at the German pavilion, so it wasn't anything new (for me), I do enjoy this beer though. When I get a beer in Germany, this is my go to. Underneath #1 is where you'll find #3, I expected it under #2, but I didn't decide where the numbers go on this flight. The Verum, #3, was nothing to write home about, for me at least. Too plain for my tastes, but that's just me. Finally to the right of that is the Dunkel, #4. Holy smokes. A lot of toasted barley in this brew, and it's very thick. I hate wasting beers, but this one I couldn't finish, I wanted to leave room for dinner. Luckily, I had some help with this flight.

IMG_2523.JPG

Once we had relaxed a bit and the flight was finished we decided to make our way back toward Japan so that we could check in for our dinner. On our way we caught some of the Eat to the Beat performance. Does any one wany to Fly? Because Mark McGrath sure does:

IMG_2524.JPG

We didn't really stop to take in the sounds of the concert, we had our minds set on Japan, and two things there in particular. So after we checked in for Teppan Edo we did a 180 and walked straight into their litter bar there to pick up these two:

IMG_2528.JPG

I had to try this frozen foam that I had been hearing so much about so I went with the "Frozen" Kirin draft, the beer itself isn't frozen, just the foam. Alex went with her second favorite drink from WS, the Tokyo Sunset. For any one that hasn't had the Tokyo Sunset, ho boy. This drink is dangerously tasty but loaded with booze - coconut rum, peach schnapps, banana liqueur and pineapple juice. Dangerous, but great. As for the "frozen" beer:

IMG_2529.JPG

Not sure if you can tell by my face but that's definitely a "No." The frozen foam on top didn't do it for me. If any of you have ever bought beer warm, thrown it in the freezer because you wanted a few to get cold quicker than just sitting in the fridge and then there's one or two that you forget about for a couple hours and end up as a bit of a beer slushy, well, there you have it. Except I just paid close to $10 for this one. I'm sure plenty of people love it, but unfortunately I'm not one of them. I was happy to try it though, as I'd heard about this stuff years back and was pretty impressed by the concept. Alex on the other hand...

IMG_2531.JPG

She couldn't get enough of that thing! This really is a great drink, and for her to enjoy a mixed drink is always a plus. This is the girl that will only drink Budweiser (seriously, Bud, red bud, not that bud light crap).

ArtieJim

Original Poster
Not to be outdone though:

IMG_2532.JPG

Pleepleus had to get some of each of our drinks! Not long after we started these drinks our buzzer was buzzing so we went up to the desk and were led up the stairs (those stairs, jeez, could they be steeper/could there be more of them?). Once there Alex was happy to see this:

IMG_2535.JPG

Alex and I are huge fans of Benihana, so we had to try this restaurant (which, we amazingly skipped both of our prior trips). We didn't want to wait until later in the trip, especially in case it was terrible (we saved our crappier meals for later in the trip). Here's a view of their menu, it's simple, but really covers anything you could get at a hibachi place (or anything you should get anyway):

IMG_2539.JPG

IMG_2538.JPG

Going to a hibachi joint it's pretty much predetermined that Alex is going to order the Filet Mignon, which, she did! I went with the asakusa, basically because there was no dish that was just shrimp. Sometimes I'm just not up for steak, but I powered through it, and it was quite delicious. Here comes the onion locomotive!

IMG_2541.JPG

I'll never tire of this gimmick, even now at 28, I think it's great. Any way, here's Alex's food. Apologies for not getting a shot of mine, I ate way too fast. Enjoy looking at the filet though:

IMG_2546.JPG

That drink you see in the flute there is sparkling sake. I believe the way Alex described it was "gross." I tried it, and she was right, although I don't like sake to begin with, and sparkling wine/champagne doesn't do it or me either, so I was definitely not the person to ask to try it. After our meal we decided to pick up a prosecco for Alex in Italy and a beer for me somewhere else (I'd say, most likely another Oktoberfest from Germany).

IMG_2550.JPG

Uh, Pleepleus, those drinks are for us buddy! Well, at least he enjoyed them! Oh, what a beautiful sight:

IMG_2551.JPG

On our way over to the Maelstrom we got stuck by this!

IMG_2554.JPG

I always forget where/when this bridge is and will open. This is one way to find out. Once it went back down we were on our way, unencumbered, to Norway (the land of Mats Zuccarello) to ride the Maelstrom before heading back to the hotel for the night. We had had quite a long day, a great day, but a a long one. I love the Maelstrom though, so we had to take a spin before calling it a night (unfortunately, we didn't make it on Three Caballeros tonight).

IMG_2557.JPG

Lucky #4... or something like that. We were in a boat with a group of people that used the "let the kids do whatever they want on a boat ride" style of parenting. I'm not sure which tour group they separated from, but they landed in our vessel. (The tour group they were separated from was in the boat in front of us, so they all kept yelling to one another). After that it was the long walk out of the park to the bus load zone. Once there it was time for the even longer walk to the Pop Century bus stop. What is up with this? It would only seem further as the trip went on because our days got longer/we got more drinks in us.

That's it for day one every one. I hope you've enjoyed it this far. Hopefully I can get these posts up quicker (like one day in one day, and not one day in two days). Until then, hope that if you're playing along with the Light Fixture/Pleepleus game you're enjoying this report even more. It only gets better. Until next time!

ArtieJim

Original Poster
Great start to the report! Enjoying your commentary. Love Zane, and so fun to see Pleepleus joined you on the trip!! Will we see the "good burp" sign flashed during the report as well?

Looking fwd to more. We are headed to food and wine in 35 days, can't wait. Thanks for sharing!

Always happy to be in touch with another Zane fan! Unfortunately, I don't think there's going to be any 'good burp' signs in this TR, but there will be plenty of Pleepleus. Hope you enjoy the report, I plan on getting a lot more in depth about the F&W Fest around Day 3. Thanks for reading!

mrdrift

Great report from Magic Kingdom and Epcot. Keep up all the drink reviews that way we know what to try and what not to try. Following along for this fun trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom