Comcast in exploratory talks again to purchase SeaWorld Entertainment?

Genie of the Lamp

Original Poster
Said discussions took place six years ago (then died off), but have now picked up again.

<< "Okay – settle in for a little story. SeaWorld was founded by four entrepreneurs in 1964 who thought a sea-based park would bring a little bit of spice to California and, later, Ohio (right in my backyard!). Shortly thereafter, Disney World opened, and the businessmen saw a huge, still-untapped market in Orlando. The three parks were so successful, they caught the attention of book publisher Harcourt (called Harcourt Brace Jovanovich at the time), which was looking to pursue that elusive financial god called diversification by getting into such myriad industries as insurance and theme parks. It opened yet another location in Texas, and then promptly faced bankruptcy. It sold SeaWorld to beer giant Anheuser-Busch, which was looking to get a little more diversification of its own. It lumped the marine parks in with its Busch Gardens amusement parks and controlled everything through a subsidiary called Busch Entertainment. That was 1989. In 2008, Anheuser-Busch itself got purchased by another brewer, InBev, which wanted to sell off all “diversified” holdings in order to reach profitability as quickly as possible (hey, buying major global corporations is expensive). Possible suitors included none other than NBCUniversal, which would have been more than happy to absorb SeaWorld Orlando into its Universal Orlando Resort (exactly what happened to my beloved SeaWorld Ohio, which became part of Six Flags before ultimately being shuttered for good). Universal never made a bid, however, and InBev ended up selling Shamu and friends to the Blackstone Group, the world’s largest “alternative investment” firm. Three short years later, Blackstone decided that the next step for Busch Entertainment was – what else? – to go public. It did exactly that, being renamed SeaWorld Entertainment in the process and retaining the Blackstone Group as its majority shareholder. This is where things continue to stand today. Except, well, maybe not. Comcast is on the theme park scene now, having purchased NBCUniversal some four years ago – and although it initially wanted nothing to do with the themed industry, a little something called Harry Potter has since opened its mind to the financial possibilities that are just waiting to be had. The company has since famously pledged to invest $500 million a year in its three American theme parks; with Comcast willing to drop that kind of money, and with Blackstone’s singular concern in running the SeaWorld business being pure and simple profit, it seems like the stars just might be aligning for SeaWorld Orlando, Aquatica Orlando, and Busch Gardens Tampa to all join the Universal fold (which isn’t to mention, of course, all of SeaWorld Entertainment’s other parks across the country). The emphasis, of course, has to go on “might”; although we’re hearing from multiple sources from multiple places that the two companies have begun something along the lines of exploratory talks, they could just as easily fizzle out, like they did six years ago. That was before both Comcast and the Wizarding Worlds of Harry Potter were around, however, and before Universal thought it was possible to topple Disney from its profitability throne, if not also its attendance throne, as well.
With all of SeaWorld in its clutches, it may very well do that – and soon.">>

Source: Orlando Informer

919Florida

I dont know how to feel about this. I know the rumours were pretty strong about this a long time ago but as of recent there is no talk about it anymore. This orlandoinformer article is the only one you can find online that even mentions a possible sale. I just worry if another company buys it the SeaWorld as we know it would not be the same. I would hope the education and conservation and resuce missions would still be a priority for them.

nepalostparks

Blackstone only owns about 30% of the shares of SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment (SEAS) at this point. (They were around 42-43% in March when they announced they were selling off more shares.) Not to say there is no merit to Comcast looking at SEAS, but simply buying out Blackstone's interest doesn't mean that they own the company as the above article makes it out to sound.

nepalostparks

Blackstone is running the BG parks into the ground. The sooner they are bought the happier i will be.

The issue is that when AB owned the parks, they didn't actually have to turn a profit, so long as they promoted AB products. Once they were cut off from the brew business, they all of a sudden found themselves needing to turn a profit. That has meant (and continues to mean) streamlining, cutting, and changing focus within all of the parks. Some of the decisions, while unpopular from a purely guest satisfaction standpoint, have been necessary to bring the company and parks in line with others in the industry.

That's not to say I agree with all of their decisions. I think too often in the last few years cuts have been made that while on the surface save them money, in the long term cost them more. The more they cut, the more locals/pass holders (who make up a very large part of both Busch parks annual attendance) turn away from the parks... meaning more cuts to make up the difference, and repeat. Here in Tampa (as is the case with all of the Orlando parks) the focus has turned from local and regional customers to foreign customers (especially the UK and Latin America).

ISTCrew20

I dont know how to feel about this. I know the rumours were pretty strong about this a long time ago but as of recent there is no talk about it anymore. This orlandoinformer article is the only one you can find online that even mentions a possible sale. I just worry if another company buys it the SeaWorld as we know it would not be the same. I would hope the education and conservation and resuce missions would still be a priority for them.

I don't see any reason why it would stop. I think Comcast would really bring SeaWorld Parks to the next level to make them a real destination (as they have/are continuing to do with Universal). If anything, I would think Comcast would invest MORE to help rescue and rehab to clearly define the difference between SeaWorld (an animal park featuring rides) from Universal parks (Primarily ride/show based) so both properties are not competing with one another.

What makes me excited about this news is that Comcast seems to 'get it'. They understand the importance of a theme park to an overall brand. Theme park wise, they constantly deliver quality attractions, understand infrastructure, and never seem to sit still.

I stand by SeaWorld and welcome Comcast. It's saddens me that it seems many in the fan community have more faith in the parks than their parent company. Comcast I think would have full faith and would really help to pull the company out of the dip it's in.

919Florida

I don't see any reason why it would stop. I think Comcast would really bring SeaWorld Parks to the next level to make them a real destination (as they have/are continuing to do with Universal). If anything, I would think Comcast would invest MORE to help rescue and rehab to clearly define the difference between SeaWorld (an animal park featuring rides) from Universal parks (Primarily ride/show based) so both properties are not competing with one another.

What makes me excited about this news is that Comcast seems to 'get it'. They understand the importance of a theme park to an overall brand. Theme park wise, they constantly deliver quality attractions, understand infrastructure, and never seem to sit still.

I stand by SeaWorld and welcome Comcast. It's saddens me that it seems many in the fan community have more faith in the parks than their parent company. Comcast I think would have full faith and would really help to pull the company out of the dip it's in.

I would rather see SeaWorld ran by itself without a parent company rather then being sold to a place like Comcast. SeaWorld knows what they are doing with the parks they have blending education and conservation with entertainment. Yes, Comcast has done fine with Universal and really made it a great place now but I just don't feel they will have the desire of what SeaWorld's fans want. Universal is a very different place then Seaworld.

If you are a company like Comcast why would you want to take over a place that has so much conflict with animal rights activists with continued protest, boycotts etc. I would see Comcast wanting to take over SeaWorld and make drastic changes like getting rid of animals to appease the activist and make themselves look good and replacing all the amazing animal habitats and shows with rides etc. This is not what a SeaWorld fan wants. We go for the animals, the interactions, the educational messages etc. I do not see any benefit to Comcast to take on SeaWorld. My wish is that SeaWorld would become a private company again.

ISTCrew20

If you are a company like Comcast why would you want to take over a place that has so much conflict with animal rights activists with continued protest, boycotts etc. I would see Comcast wanting to take over SeaWorld and make drastic changes like getting rid of animals to appease the activist and make themselves look good and replacing all the amazing animal habitats and shows with rides etc

Great points. I would like to think that maybe a company like Comcast wants to purchase SeaWorld because they BELIEVE in their mission and want to re-enforce it, not remove it. I don't remember Blackstone showing a huge interest in animal care prior to purchasing, but SeaWorld's animal care protocols have continued (and strengthened in my opinion). As I said before, Comcast understands the importance of a brand. They wouldn't turn SeaWorld into a thrill-ride park that ultimately would compete with a Universal park.

SeaWorld has faced criticism for as long as I can remember. There will always be people who don't agree... But what made the current situation such a cf is social media. It seems worse than it is because of a small but loud group with too much time, and support from copy/paste activists that would never visit the park in the first place.

fugawe09

I haven't seen this anywhere else and honestly I take the originating blog with a grain of salt because its POV is so one-dimensional. Universal and SeaWorld already have somewhat of a partnership from when Blackstone owned a significant portion of both, but I honestly think that's as close as they would want to be. If they bought out SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment, I'm not sure that they would flag them under the Universal name. The main IP, Shamu, has become fairly toxic in the public sphere and I'm not sure that all of Universal's licensed IPs or movie studio would want to be associated in name. I'm also not sure that SWP&E would be sold whole if it were for sale. I think it would more likely be broken up and that Cedar Fair or a European park operator would get some of properties.

Captain Neo

I just saw on screams cape that Comcast might buy Seaworld. Now would be a great time to buy since sea world's stock is at an all time low and by acquiring sea world Comcast would become a Theme park powerhouse that could match Disney.

919Florida

I just saw on screams cape that Comcast might buy Seaworld. Now would be a great time to buy since sea world's stock is at an all time low and by acquiring sea world Comcast would become a Theme park powerhouse that could match Disney.
The story is everywhere now. Behindthethrills.com is reporting Comcast bigwigs were at discovery cove and seaworld in the past few weeks. This makes me sick and I am not a fan of a Comcast deal. Nothing good will come from it

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom