Movies with Mickey Mouse?

AustinOSU

Original Poster
Hi guys, I'm not sure if this is in the right section of the forums, I am still pretty new to this site. But I was wondering if anyone knew of any future plans for a Disney movie featuring Mickey Mouse?

Obviously people recognize his character from old cartoons and maybe some stuff on the Disney channel, but I've always wondered why Disney doesn't use the face of their brand more in movies? Maybe I'm missing a recent movie, I haven't seen a lot of Disney stuff lately.

Thanks!

Matt_Black

Hi guys, I'm not sure if this is in the right section of the forums, I am still pretty new to this site. But I was wondering if anyone knew of any future plans for a Disney movie featuring Mickey Mouse?

Obviously people recognize his character from old cartoons and maybe some stuff on the Disney channel, but I've always wondered why Disney doesn't use the face of their brand more in movies? Maybe I'm missing a recent movie, I haven't seen a lot of Disney stuff lately.

Thanks!

Every couple of years there are rumors that a full length theatrical Mickey film is in development, but it quickly gets sent to film purgatory. I believe the rationale is that if they're going to make a film with Mickey that would be part of the Walt Disney Animation Studios canon (with the official numbering and everything), then it needs to be EXCELLENT.

AustinOSU

Original Poster
Every couple of years there are rumors that a full length theatrical Mickey film is in development, but it quickly gets sent to film purgatory. I believe the rationale is that if they're going to make a film with Mickey that would be part of the Walt Disney Animation Studios canon (with the official numbering and everything), then it needs to be EXCELLENT.

Yeah I figured that might be the reasoning. They can't risk a flop for their brand leader.

prberk

Mickey Mouse has had this particular problem for a long time. But it is not so much that it might be a flop. It is more that his image has to be squeeky clean, and they are often reticent to create a cartoon that chance making Mickey look mean or disrespectful in any way. Right or wrong, they felt like the storylines would be limited. That is why in later years Donald Duck (who was smart-aleck) and Goofy and others had more prominence, even in the shorts.

Mickey's true character, according to Walt, is an everyman character, and with a purpose of laughter. With that said, Mickey still had a valuable part, but one usually with whom the audience could identify. The surrounding characters were usually the comic relief or villains. And I think that formula still works, especially for shorts, which I think is really where Mickey Mouse belongs. Of course, there are few shorts these days. But there are some still, and he was in "Get a Horse," the one that ran before "Frozen." I think that was pretty successful, and had him in his playful 1930s style.

As for feature films, I think he has always been relegated to a cameo or short part whenever he appeared in one, unless you count "the Sorcerer's Apprentice" segment of "Fantasia," in which he was a lead player (but again in a short story) as a larger role. He made a cameo in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" (with Buggs Bunny, who was contracted to be in the same number of frames as Mickey Mouse), as well as a few others. Of course, had character roles in "Mickey's Christmas Carol" and in "Mickey and the Beanstalk" (which was too short to be a full feature, so was combined with another short to be marketed as "Fun and Fancy Free").

I think that he is best in short subjects or cameos.

Matt_Black

And I think that formula still works, especially for shorts, which I think is really where Mickey Mouse belongs. Of course, there are few shorts these days.

Actually, Disney TV Animation has been doing a whole bunch of new Mickey Mouse shorts, and on the whole they've been INCREDIBLY entertaining.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom